Good Night Vision Goggles?

USRobinson

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy some night vision goggles? I have no experience or knowledge about them, generally I want take up night hunting so I get they would be quite handy and that would be their main use... does anyone know where to start looking for some and some insider tips or information regarding night vision goggles I should know or consider before purchasing a pair?

USRobinson

Newly Enlightened
as I said I have no expeirence or knowledge for this stuff, what would be a reasonable price in your opinion for a pair of googles, with the purpose of night hutning?

victoria stiles

Newly Enlightened
Certainly no matter what their cost a good pair of cheap and good night vision goggles will be ideal for helping to protect your home from unwanted intruders as well as a way for you to carry out night surveillance.

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened
I wear NVG's weekly in my job, and I can tell you right now that if you want a pair that you'd be able to take a shot with, you'd be looking at over $1000 easily. Another thing you need to understand is that with even the best NVG's used by military special operations units (priced about $8500/unit) you still have basically 0 depth perception.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
The NVGs that I use on the job are some of the best available but at $13kish (Just what I heard btw) a pair.. I'd pass.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . even the best NVG's used by military special operations units (priced about $8500/unit) you still have basically 0 depth perception.

It's impossible for any Monocular vision to have depth perception (except through secondary clues such as size of a known object, occlusion behind nearer object).

Pilots always wear Binocular NVGs as depth perception is essential for them.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I have a monocular NVG I bought on sale for $99.00 many years ago.

It's improvement over fully adapted nightvision is marginal, but it does allow me to walk around, slowly, in TOTAL darkness using its IR Illuminator.

The image is grainy and it has one defect spot - but it definitely works.

Longwinters

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy some night vision goggles? I have no experience or knowledge about them, generally I want take up night hunting so I get they would be quite handy and that would be their main use... does anyone know where to start looking for some and some insider tips or information regarding night vision goggles I should know or consider before purchasing a pair?

In general I would stick with a gen 3 or new style of goggle,or you may also want to consider a
night vision scope, I have a pair of AN/PVS 7B's their ability to amplify light is overwhelming.
35000X

A single star is more than enough to make the landscape look like just before dusk, but as another
poster said there is zero depth perception, so walking on rough terrian is difficult, also the focus needs to be adjusted for close and far distances.

This should not be required since a flashlight can be used until you are in position.

That being said for observing and working in the dark their power is amazing, a friend just got back from hunting on Kodiak Island and was stuck at camp with all the sounds of the night and lamented his inability to see the animals with the eyes reflecting back at him.

What you can expect from a pair of Generation 3 goggles is this, in a pitch black setting, cloud cover and no moon, you ought to be able to identify the type of animal you are observing at 100 yrds or greater.

The 7B also has a built in infra red light for total darkness situations such as closed buildings with zero residual light.

I saw a pair like mine on Amazon for 2000.00, prices seem to range from that to over 3000.00 so shopping is critical.

nighteyes2

Newly Enlightened
I was in the market for some good night vision goggles I had to spend a little bit of money but they have been worth every penny. I found mine here check it out nmdeluxe.com They offer the real deal higher quality and price but trust me they are worth it.

Lobe

Newly Enlightened
By saying hunting i gather you mean with a Rifle?

If so what kind of ranges are you thinking?

AdidasXXXL

Newly Enlightened
My recommended products for you is the PVS14 this is multi-purpose device which basically means you can use it as a monocular, goggles, and weapon sight as well. The only thing that can be a problem is price, it usually starts from 2k+ so....u know :) I can recommend you another good device which is multi-purpose too, but 2 times cheaper, ATN Night Spirit. it's not military grade item and it doesn't have ITT tube, but it still good and completely usable. It's all about price bro :)
Btw 1 more aspect you should consider when you'll buy your night vision toy is where you buy it. Night vision tubes are like diamonds everyone is different , so be sure you buy from authorized dealer I'll suggest you www.techeyes.com i got from them FLIR it works well can't complain. Anyway may be you'll find it somewhere else just be careful.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
so far my exsperience, limited to gen 1 and cam types is, eeeek one eyes blacked out in the dark while the other is wide open.. get two tubes so both eyes are the same, helps your balance when you take them off.

for hunting etc, ir is a help, it's the same as lamping for the eye shine. (so now gen 1 is on the menu..).

anti static or what ever they call it now is a must, stopps the wandering black dust specles in the image, and automatic gain control or shut down to protect against flash is a must.

regaurding power the thing, if theyre ****y on what batteries you can use, it's worth knowing that powering a gen 1 for the 1000 hours is about the same cost as buying a gen 2 unit.. etc etc. rechargeables are a must, ot hey ho may as well get gen 3 and engoy daylight lol.