Olight
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Surefire discontinuing some flashlights?

Default Is Surefire discontinuing some flashlights?

I heard mention of this in a different thread but didn't want to interrupt it. Does anyone know if this is fact or not? If its true, how many are they dropping?

Default Re: Is Surefire discontinuing some flashlights?

I've heard such news too... Probably their entire incan line which could bode poorly for P60 Surefire heads like myself...
    Imagine.. No more C2s.. Z2s... 6Ps... Their new lights will probably sport some new KLX6WH bullcrap XP-G head that's been
    glued and riveted to the body tube... I seriously hope they don't go this route...

Shao

Flashaholic

On the Surefire website, it mentions that they have discontinued all current rechargeable flashlights and conversion kits. This is because they are bringing out new rechargeables, to start hitting the shelves in (IIRC) September of this year. All of the discontinued lights (except 1, the L7[?]) are incandescent.

Enlightened

Some of the colored G2s and a few others. It isn't limited to the incans.

I have the list at the office of the ones that will be discontinued sometime in 2011.

Flashaholic*

I guess I see where they're coming from, having people legoing your lights together and sticking non-Surefire parts in them can't be what Surefire wants. Now that LEDs are bright and efficient, incan is sort of a marginal technology, if all you want is light, then using an incan is not necessarily the right choice. It makes me think of what's happening with film stock companies... these days, the only people that need 35mm are professional photographers and niche hobbyists, and even that market is shrinking.

Nothing against incan here. Or 35mm...

Well, LA police Gear now has a few of the discontinued one's on their web-site...sigh...good deals, but sad to see the Kroma on there :0(

The probably saved list includes
    6P-BK
    C3-HA
    C3-BK
    G2-BK
    G2-YL
    A2L (all colors)
    AZ2
    E1B
    E1L
    E2L
    E2DL
    E2LAA
    G2D-FYL
    G3D-FYL
    K2 Kroma (mil spec)
    LX2
    M1
    M3LT (standard & strobe)
    M6LT
    T1A
    U2
    UB3T
    V2
    Z2S
    All the X series introduced in the last 18 months

The likely endangered list includes
    AZ2-S (strobe version)
    6P-GM
    6PL-BK
    6PN-BK
    6PD-BK
    6PDL-BK
    9P-BK
    C2-BK
    C2-HA
    C2L-HA
    E1E-BK
    E1E-HA
    E2D-BK
    E2E-BK
    E2E-HA
    E2E-SG
    G2L-BK
    G2L-OD
    G2Z-BK
    G2ZL-BK
    G2L-YL
    G2-TN
    G2L-TN
    G2Z-TN
    G2ZL-TN
    G2-OD
    G2Z-OD
    G2ZL-OD
    G3-BK
    G3L-BK
    G2L-FYL
    G3L-FYL
    K2 Kroma (white)
    L1-HA
    L4-HA
    L5-HA
    M2
    M3
    M3T
    M4
    M6
    S2
    Z2-BK
    Z2L-BK

Z48 tailcap
    Z58 tailcap
    Z59 tailcap
    Z73 tailcap (green G)
    Z75 tailcap (tan G)
    KT1 bezels
    KT2 bezels
    KT3 bezels
    KT4 bezel
    A14 extender
    A19 extender
    A21 adapter
    Z32 bezel
    Z46 bezel

Z41 tailcap (still available on the 6P)
    Z44 bezel (still available on the 6P)
    Z72 tailcap (still available on the black G2)
    Z74 tailcap (still available on the yellow G)

Last edited by ElectronGuru; 04-29-2011 at 12:44 AM.

WTH? Why is the L1 on the list? And the C2??? Even there current production "X" series can't replace the fit of that...sigh...at least the C3 is not on the chopping block...yet. Sad to see the L4 on there as well...that's the light that put SF at the top of the LED Market...THE Original "WALL OF LIGHT"...there's no replacement for that either...oh well...they can't justify keeping all these old models in production for a handful of flashlight nuts...LOL!

At first I didn't see the A2 on ElectronGuru's endangered list. Then I remembered that's because it's already discontinued.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    C2-HA
    Say it ain't so!

What about the non-strobe AZ2? That's not in either list...

I'm picturing myself sinking way too much into Surefire lights in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
    What about the non-strobe AZ2?
    Added

Flashaholic*

Z41 tailcap.... can not believe that. Not everyone wants a clicky.

G2-tn good that I have one spare body, since one G2tan (with the Z44 bezel in the same color) just came into my EDC rotation. And I usually EDC only items that I can replace easily.

Thanks for the list. Let us hope for the best (meaning that the endangered ones will not be extinct). ;-)

Cheers
    Thorsten

No more C2s.. Z2s... 6Ps... Their new lights will probably sport some new KLX6WH bullcrap XP-G head that's been
    glued and riveted to the body tube... I seriously hope they don't go this route...
    And the C2??? Even there current production "X" series can't replace the fit of that...sigh...
    Hard to believe but maybe the aftermarket dropins were taking a slice out of SF's pricey but not too bright LED upgrade options. I see the 6PL is on the hit list but the venerable 6P will probably stay. A well placed source who has reported reliably in the past tells me there will be a last C2 production run in July.

The Kroma was cutting edge some years ago but 50 lumens on white for 1.5 hours on two CR123A's now puts it in the classic category. Maybe the Milspec is kept alive by some U.S. government snake eater requirement.

Z41 tailcap.... can not believe that. Not everyone wants a clicky.
    Yep, I remember how not long ago some of the SF gurus here used to belittle the clickies on other brands as amateurish and non-tactical. Times change, I suppose.

Is this the beginning of the end for the SF twisty tailcap?

Or, does this just mean that the Z41 will be considered a spare part for the 6P and just not offered as a retail SKU?

CPF Moderator Herr Doktor Bernie was very fond of the SF twisty interface and gave me an appreciation for the simplicity and reliability of that design. Haven't seen Bernie here lately, hope he is OK.

Flashaholic

I find it odd that the S2 (Stratum) and the AZ2's are already dying out. I guess the 3 modes on the S2 was overkill and the AZ2's were made redundant by the A2L's.

I just ordered up a G2 Tan, as my dealer confirmed that they are being discontnued.

Loads of culling here

The firefighter lights are likely to be replaced by something along the lines of the new 'X' series lights 6PX-FYL/G2X-FYL maybe??

I want one of the new forest green lights when they come out!

Also sad to see the end of the Millenium incans, some great designs there.

And hey of the L1 is getting cut, just maybe they'll pop out the LX1!

Sadly, all the old cheap entry level lights are being replaced with newer versions that are twice as much. G2 to G2X etc....

The probably saved list includes
    6P-BK
    C3-HA
    C3-BK
    G2-BK
    G2-YL
    A2L (all colors)
    AZ2
    E1B
    E1L
    E2L
    E2DL
    E2LAA
    G2D-FYL
    G3D-FYL
    K2 Kroma (mil spec)
    LX2
    M1
    M3LT (standard & strobe)
    M6LT
    T1A
    U2
    UB3T
    V2
    Z2S
    All the X series introduced in the last 18 months

AZ2-S (strobe version)
    6P-GM
    6PL-BK
    6PN-BK
    6PD-BK
    6PDL-BK
    9P-BK
    C2-BK
    C2-HA
    C2L-HA
    E1E-BK
    E1E-HA
    E2D-BK
    E2E-BK
    E2E-HA
    E2E-SG
    G2L-BK
    G2L-OD
    G2Z-BK
    G2ZL-BK
    G2L-YL
    G2-TN
    G2L-TN
    G2Z-TN
    G2ZL-TN
    G2-OD
    G2Z-OD
    G2ZL-OD
    G3-BK
    G3L-BK
    G2L-FYL
    G3L-FYL
    K2 Kroma (white)
    L1-HA
    L4-HA
    L5-HA
    M2
    M3
    M3T
    M4
    M6
    S2
    Z2-BK
    Z2L-BK

Z48 tailcap
    Z58 tailcap
    Z59 tailcap
    Z73 tailcap (green G)
    Z75 tailcap (tan G)
    KT1 bezels
    KT2 bezels
    KT3 bezels
    KT4 bezel
    A14 extender
    A19 extender
    A21 adapter
    Z32 bezel
    Z46 bezel

Z41 tailcap (still available on the 6P)
    Z44 bezel (still available on the 6P)
    Z72 tailcap (still available on the black G2)
    Z74 tailcap (still available on the yellow G)

ElectronGuru,

Is this list speculation or is it from a good, reliable source as being fact?

I hope it's more speculation...I really don't want to see all of those great incans gone.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Retinator View Post
    I find it odd that the S2 (Stratum) and the AZ2's are already dying out. I guess the 3 modes on the S2 was overkill and the AZ2's were made redundant by the A2L's.
    I do not find the demise of the Stratum strange at all. It was an odd duck. Surefire's lineup has differentiated itself from the horde of Chinese clones through their two-stage, and selector ring UIs. Having a light that copies the annoying morse code clicking of the clones.. Not a good idea, IMO, or a good design for a light.

Anyway, it's a shame to see some of the models go, but it really isn't a surprise. I'm actually surprised they're keeping the 6P and C3s around.. And a bit surprised the U2 isn't being discontinued. Getting a bit old in the tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    I'm not at liberty to say, but my word choice for category names has less to do with my source or sources than in SF's recent tendency to change its mind about how to achieve whatever is their goal. Some models are already gone. Models seen places like this may be gone in a matter of weeks. The rest will likely disappear gradually over the coming months.

Keep in mind, too, there are different levels of available. There's ready to make more, in stock at SF, in stock at a given dealer, and plentiful on CPFM. It will be a few years before models like the Z2 are rare enough to fetch a significant premium, for example.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    ElectronGuru,

I hope it's more speculation...I really don't want to see all of those great incans gone.
    I didn't compare every light, but it looks the same as the list I got from SF.

The 6P GM is already gone. I tried to get one a couple days ago. Juuuust missed it.

The "The likely endangered list includes" list is more of a "Will be discontinued sometime in 2011" list

5 posts have been deleted. Please keep in mind that this thread is not for discussing where to purchase discontinued SureFire models. With many of those models being rather popular here, I'd expect that various info will get posted in the /Good Deals/ subforum in CPF/MP.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 05-01-2011 at 09:34 AM.

I'm not at liberty to say, but my word choice for category names has less to do with my source or sources than in SF's recent tendency to change its mind about how to achieve whatever is their goal. Some models are already gone. Models seen places like this may be gone in a matter of weeks. The rest will likely disappear gradually over the coming months.

Keep in mind, too, there are different levels of available. There's ready to make more, in stock at SF, in stock at a given dealer, and plentiful on CPFM. It will be a few years before models like the Z2 are rare enough to fetch a significant premium, for example.
    Thanks for the info ElectronGuru. I just spoke with a my favorite dealer and asked about a few lights too (I was trying to order an L1 which sparked the conversation). They confirmed that all of the non-LED M-series are discontinued, as well as the E2e, G2Z, and L1 (these were all that I asked about). It's a sad day being a SF incand fan.

Wow... I wonder how it will affect the price of the older lights... People like their P60 drop ins... or maybe someone else will step up to fill the p60 style drop in Made in the USA lifetime warranty host shoes...

Hmmmmm....

Well, LEDs have made huge strides these last few years and SF's line has become quite complicated, so I can understand their desire to clear out older models and simplify their lineup. I don't think most of us need to worry though, SF has great legacy support, so I'm sure we will be able to enjoy our favorites and still receive excellent warranty service on them for years to come.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Very shocking that SF is killing off so many lights, but not exactly a huge surprise that they want to cut down on their older models...
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Wow. That's all their incandescents. Sad that it's true, true that it's sad.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

Not good news for those of us (me) with hoarder tendencies, now I'll be stocking up on spares like there's no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
    Not good news for those of us (me) with hoarder tendencies, now I'll be stocking up on spares like there's no tomorrow.
    I came home today to a mailbox with a C2, an E2E, an A2, FiveMega Strion sockets for both and a half-dozen Strion bulbs. Who you callin' an incan hoarder?

Enlightened

Great score!!!
    I wish my lights would get here...............

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post

I know what you mean, even though I already have quiete a stock of spare 6Ps. But nonetheless, there are theses fears and thoughts....

Cheers
    Thorsten

LA Police Gear has the U2 on their clearance page, but it's not on the list of retirements above. Does this mean Surefire plans on upgrading it, not discontinuing it?
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

All of this information is subject to change and/or being incorrect. However, that U2 is the Team Soldier Edition and may not reflect anything about the standard U2.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast