L.L. Bean Mini-Lantern

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Hard to gather much from the glossy spring catalog. Has any one looked at one of these in person? If so, comments?

TIA

damn_hammer

Enlightened
i don't have any first hand experience with the lantern, but i read the description on their website. the reviews are glowing. the purported lack of glare sounds interesting, so am going to get one (green) to try it out. fwiw, you can use code THANKYOU to get 20% off right now.

[edit]
actually, got two ... (1)orange, and (1)green.

ll bean has top shelf customer service. if i don't like them (unlikely) there should be no problem with returning them.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
neat looking lantern, thanks damn_hammer for the code, I ordered a blue one.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
lanterns arrived yesterday. appears to be six(6) 5mm led's in total. one led at the top, and bottom of each of the three tubes. the color temp is cool white to my eyes, and well diffused. levels go:
low(1 tube lit) -> medium (2 tubes) -> high (3 tubes lit) -> blinking (all tubes off/on) -> off

no shortcuts to the interface that i could find. mode button is on the top of the lantern. my impression is that the lantern will be durable, and could take a few drops.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
So is it as good as the glowing reviews on LLBeans website?

I hope mine comes in today...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not usually impressed with 5mm lights, but this is one of the best reviewed products I've ever seen. All 57 reviews would recommend it to a friend, and it is 4.9 out of 5 stars. For the cpfers that own one, what do you guys think about it?

netprince

Enlightened
I got mine today. Its not terribly bright, but reasonable. Great beam pattern. Seems well built too. The beam pattern is truly great for an LED lantern. You have to really look closely to see the 5mm LEDs.

My meter measures

level1: 100ma (20hrs)
level2: 200ma (10hrs)
level3: 300ma (6.5hrs)

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4844.JPG

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the diffusion, and it doesn't look too "plasticky," but I don't care for that UI! When you say "no shortcuts," does that mean you must cycle through all modes to advance?

damn_hammer

Enlightened
correct, must cycle through. lantern is on in low, and want to turn off ... gotta go through med -> high -> blink to get there. i'll cya and admit that i did not read the instructions (not sure if there were any actually) though.

Last edited: