ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Was at their site today and found this - looks promising:

Main Features and Specifications

• LED: Cree XM-L Cool White (Norminal CCT 6300K)
  • User Selectable Levels: 3 main level (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High (H2) can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.
  • Light Output
    • High: H1 500Lm with 750Lm turbo in the first 5 min (2hrs) or H2 200Lm (5.9hrs) / 330Lm (3hrs) / 500Lm (2.1hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
    • Medium: M1 65Lm (18hrs) or M2 21Lm (50hrs)
    • Low: L1 2.8Lm (280hrs) or L2 0.1Lm (80days)
    Runtimes are tested using Panasonic NCR18650 (2900mAH) batteries. Light output are out the front (OTF) values. All levels are current regulated.
  • Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V - 4.2V
  • Battery: One 18650 size (up to 67mm long) 3.6/3.7V Li-ion rechargeable battery. Batteries are not included in the package.
  • Parasitic Drain: Negligible (equivalent to 6 years)
  • Beam Type
    • 80° spill
    • 10° hot spot
  • Dimensions
    • Bezel Diameter: 30mm
    • Body Diameter: 25.4mm
    • Length: 107mm
  • Weight
    • 3.2 oz (90.8 g) without battery
  • Features
    • Side click electronic soft-touch switch
    • Smart user interface provides fast and easy access to all brightness levels
    • Precision machined unibody casing from premium grade Alcoa aluminum bar stock
    • Proprietary heat sinking design bonds the LED board directly to the unibody aluminum casing, providing unblocked thermal paths to most of the surface area.
    • Durable natural hard anodized finish (Type III Class I)
    • Ultra clear lens with anti-reflection coatings on both sides
    • Orange peel textured reflector
    • Battery power can be locked out by slightly unscrewing the tailcap to prevent unwanted activations or parasitic drain
    • Waterproof to IPX8 (2 meters, 30 minutes)
sc600main800800.jpg

sc600bezeldown.jpg

Operations

This light has 3 main levels (High, Medium, and Low). Each main level can be configured to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes.

• Basic Operation
    • Short click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
    • Long click (press and hold for about 0.7 seconds) turns on the light to Low.
  • Advanced Operation and Configuration
    • Short click turns on the light to High. Short click again quickly to cycle from High to Medium, and Low.
    • Press and hold to cycle from Low to High, release to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.
    • Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections (except the strobe) for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
    • The second sub-level of the High can be configured after 6 double clicks. Double click (startng with the 7th) to cycle and select different brightness levels or strobes. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-level of the High are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.
Accessories in the package

• Clip
  • Two o-rings

FAQ

1. Is there a pocket clip on this light? Yes, a reversible and removable clip is included.
  2. What is the emitter bin? U2.
  3. When will the neutral tint version be available? We'll release the SC600w as soon as we can get the LEDs with the EXACT bin and tint we like (very picky here).
  4. Allowing for unknown bin/tint, what is approximate neutral Turbo Lm? Neutral White in Turbo is unknown at this moment. (answered 5/6/11)
  5. Estimated lux? (or more defined beam characteristics?) Don't have a lux figure. The beam angle is similar to the other SC series XP-G lights, the hotspot is slightly smaller.
  6. Is the switch the same design as the sc60? Different switch design, and it's more recessed.
  7. Can this light accidentally get turned on in your pocket as easily as the sc60 if not locked out? No, even if it's not locked out. The switch is more recessed and it requires about 40% more force to activate the switch.
  8. How does Turbo work - is it timer or temperature controlled? The turbo is time controlled (5 minutes).
  9. Regarding the 5 minute step down, can you turn it off/on for another 5 minutes of Turbo at 750 Lm - or would it go to 500 Lm? After turning it off, you can get another 5 minutes of Turbo. Not recommended though.
  10. Is the bezel removable? Yes, but it's glued during assembly.
  11. Stated acceptable battery length is 67mm; popular protected batteries (AW & Redilast) are 68+ mm. Do you anticipate issues? We haven't seen many battery length issues for the SC60. The SC600 and SC60 share the same internal dimensions. Edit:the SC600's internal battery section length has been increased by 0.9mm.
  12. Can you use two CR123 batteries in this light? The 6V from two CR123A's is above the operating voltage range of the SC600 and may damage the circuit.
  13. Is a selfbuilt review in the works? Yes, please see here.
  14. Is the 30 mm width at the widest point, or at the bezel? The 30mm is at the bezel, not at the widest point.
  15. Are there size comparison pictures of the SC600 vs SC60? Please see here. And here.

Information will be added to or deleted from this post when available or necessary.

:thumbsup: -Jas.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
All levels are current regulated! No PWM. Looks like the switch is more recessed - definitely wouldn't want this to come on my pocket! (probably wouldn't take long to figure it out though)...

I'm excited - I've been waiting for a loonng time! (but I can wait a little longer for the neutral)

-Jas.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Sweet! This is the light I have been waiting for. Most anticipated of 2011. I would have loved to see an XM-L in a AA/14500 light from Zebralight, but I'll take this and not complain.

:popcorn:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm excited - I've been waiting for a loonng time! (but I can wait a little longer for the neutral)-Jas.

I was thinking the same thing, but man I've been waiting a long time for this....hate to wait longer.

Does anyone remember how long it took with other models to release a neutral tint version??

mitro

Newly Enlightened
I have to say that it isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I'm sure its just as fantastic as the rest of their lights. I'm glad they haven't deviated from their usual UI. I'll probably buy one when there's a neutral version, but I'd still like XM-Ls in the other lights. I'm thinking H51XFw. :)

It looks like there's no pocket clip. If there isn't I'd consider that a negative for me.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like there's no pocket clip. If there isn't I'd consider that a negative for me.

Crap....just noticed it. Pocket clips are a must for me....dang it. I'll ask them on their website if there is a clip or will be, and I'll ask when the neutral version will be out.

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
Well, I pre-ordered one. Never been disappointed with anything ZebraLight puts out. I will probably pick up a neutral version as well when/if it becomes available. The switch definitely looks more recessed - should pretty much eliminate hot pocket syndrome. And it looks like they did a nice job with the logo. Hope they release all the TBD specs soon.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Does anyone remember how long it took with other models to release a neutral tint version??
Usually around two months - neutral X-ML might take a little longer because ZL is commendably very selective with their tint choice.

None shown or listed. However, there are two channels to attach one (reversible?). Pure speculation, but I am pretty sure there will be a clip. This follows the Spark SL series concept. I still think there is a relationship between these two companies - but that is another story...

I'll ask them on their website if there is a clip or will be, and I'll ask when the neutral version will be out.
Please keep us posted!

-Jas.

hatman

Enlightened
For all of you waiting for a neutral version of the SC600, here's the response ZebraLight sent me this week:

We'll announce the SC600 next week, shipping in May. Cool white only initially. Don't know when we'll release the neutral one (SC600w), unlikely within the next 3-4 months. We won't have a warm version of the SC600.
Sincerely,
Lillian Xu
ZebraLight, Inc.
8320 Sterling Street
Irving, TX 75063

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I got a quick response from zebralight to my questions I sent in less than an hour ago. See below...
---------------------------------------------
User/DateMessageCustomer
4/29/2011 9:43:57 AM Great looking light, but I have a few questions:
1) Is there a pocket clip on this light? If not, will there be in the future?
2) When will the neutral tint version be available?
3) Is the switch the same design as the sc60?
4) Can this light accidentily get turned on in your pocket as easily as the sc60 if not locked out?

Thank You
spacer.gif

Staff (Administrator)
4/29/2011 10:21:08 AM To your questions,
1) No clip. May have one in the future, but I don't know when.
2) There will be an SC600w, but I don't know when it will be available (unlikely in the next 3-4 mos.)
3) Different switch design, and it's more recessed
4) No, even if it's not locked out. The switch is more recessed and it requres about 40% more force to ativate the switch.
---------------------------------------------

I like the respnse, but my favorite part of this response is that it takes "about 40% more force to activate the switch"!!!!! Hope it works great & solves the "hot pocket" problem....and I don't mean the pizza flavored type of hotpocket. Also, I hope we see this design on the rest of their lights.

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
No pocket clip, no go, deal breaker... Otherwise it looks great. Zebralight, put a pocket clip on an AA version of this, and sell a million of them. I promise I'll buy at least three... :)

mitro

Newly Enlightened
I don't like reading "unlikely in the next 3-4 months". How long have ZL waited in the past between cool and neutral versions? The lack of a clip is ALMOST a dealbreaker for me but, being a ZL fanboy, I'd stiil buy a neutral version. If there aren't solid plans for a neutral then I'm quite disappointed. I have been so thrilled with ZL for offering "w" versions of everything w/o having to beg them for it. (unlike some other CPF favorites)

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, such a nice light and no pocket clip. The SC series has such nice clips too, it's almost a crime not to put one on. If they release a 'W' version I'd be seriously tempted to pick one up though.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Fantastic! I am so glad I didn't buy the SC60 a few weeks ago. This thing looks to be my "perfect" light as I have no need for a pocket clip.

I'll be getting one. or two.

hatman

Enlightened
Looking at the photo, and without knowing more, it's puzzling why ZL wouldn't include the excellent clip used in the SC60 series.

I've passed up several lights recently because they lacked clips. I'd hate to have to have to pass on this one for the same reason.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
It is interesting why a manufacturer would take such a feature AWAY. It's one thing to have the clip and let the user remove it, but to not have one at all? Even though I have no use for it, I wouldn't have taken it away. By leaving it, you won't lose any customers, but by taking it away, odds are good you will lose customers.

I'm confused. Would love to know what they were thinking. Perhaps they have some logical explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.