Battery Junction

Thread: Best Lithium Batteries for Mag Body

Default Best Lithium Batteries for Mag Body

Hey all,

I'm making an XML mod for my dad, I was wondering what the best battery/Mag body combo would be... I'm trying to run three protected Lithium cells (probably AW's if I can help it). I would like a tight fit aka no rattling due to improper size(I'm open to making spacers). At first I was thinking of a 3 C bored to fit 3 of AW's 26500's, but my father made it very clear that he can't be responsible for monitoring output... He needs protection from over discharge...

Basically I'm looking for a list of what Mag/Cell combos fit/work best...

Thanks in advance!
    EDC: HDS Ra Clicky T SN7156 (100L WWGD) or Lunasol 20 (I can't choose between the two)
    Favorites: Sub 1-D Tri-XML Copper Mag | DBS V3 XML w/ Aspheric Lens | Leaf/SF MN21 Turbo Lego | The Kroma

Default Re: Best Lithium Batteries for Mag Body

If it has to be protected and C size Li-Ion, this is the only choice which is about 53.5mm long and will not fit in unmodified 3"C" M*g.

Three 25500 cells with fivemega's C tailcap fit perfectly. I'm running WA1185 in mine, but of course you could mod the head for XML. No rattle, easy to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    If it has to be protected and C size Li-Ion, this is the only choice which is about 53.5mm long and will not fit in unmodified 3"C" M*g.
    Specifically what mods would I have to do? Probably a bore in the body and could I get away with using the mag tailcap or would I have to use one of yours?
    EDC: HDS Ra Clicky T SN7156 (100L WWGD) or Lunasol 20 (I can't choose between the two)
    Favorites: Sub 1-D Tri-XML Copper Mag | DBS V3 XML w/ Aspheric Lens | Leaf/SF MN21 Turbo Lego | The Kroma

How many XM-Ls do you plan on driving in the light?

Later
    Kelly
    Lucas Jackson, "Here, Captain"
    Maliciously destroying municipal property while under the influence, What was that?
    "Cutting the heads off parking meters, Captain."

Quote Originally Posted by Aepoc View Post
    Hey all,

I'm making an XML mod for my dad, I was wondering what the best battery/Mag body combo would be... I'm trying to run three protected Lithium cells (probably AW's if I can help it). I would like a tight fit aka no rattling due to improper size(I'm open to making spacers). At first I was thinking of a 3 C bored to fit 3 of AW's 26500's, but my father made it very clear that he can't be responsible for monitoring output... He needs protection from over discharge...

Basically I'm looking for a list of what Mag/Cell combos fit/work best...

Thanks in advance!
    well even potected cells you wanna monitor voltage, cuz pcb cut off is a last resort, they will not live long if you let them discharge untill potection kicks in everytime
    you wanna have (3v times amount of cells), cut off in the driver itself, iirc taskled divers have that, or you can get low voltage alarm fom rc model stores, they use them on li poly cells, and someone here used it on the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    or you can get low voltage alarm fom rc model stores, they use them on li poly cells, and someone here used it on the light as well.
    Can you provide a source for low voltage monitor? I need for IMR 26500 Mag C flashlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sway View Post
    How many XM-Ls do you plan on driving in the light?

Later
    Kelly
    Three.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    well even potected cells you wanna monitor voltage, cuz pcb cut off is a last resort, they will not live long if you let them discharge untill potection kicks in everytime
    you wanna have (3v times amount of cells), cut off in the driver itself, iirc taskled divers have that, or you can get low voltage alarm fom rc model stores, they use them on li poly cells, and someone here used it on the light as well.
    How does the low voltage alarm from rc stores warn you? Would it just shut the light off like the taskled drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    If it has to be protected and C size Li-Ion, this is the only choice which is about 53.5mm long and will not fit in unmodified 3 "C" M*g.
    Specifically what mods would I have to do? Probably a bore in the body and could I get away with using the mag tailcap or would I have to use one of yours?
    There is no need to bore out M*g "C" tube when using mentioned cells. Boring is required when using IMR 26XXX cells.

This tail cap is optional but you can also cut down 4C M*g to size of about 3.25 and use original tail cap.

How does the low voltage alarm from rc stores warn you? Would it just shut the light off like the taskled drivers?
    Most of the RC alarms are just that, they warn you with lights and buzzers when the cell or cells reach a predetermined level so you have time to land or bring in your craft without incident.
    Lucas Jackson, "Here, Captain"
    Maliciously destroying municipal property while under the influence, What was that?
    "Cutting the heads off parking meters, Captain."

Quote Originally Posted by dizhu View Post
    Can you provide a source for low voltage monitor? I need for IMR 26500 Mag C flashlights.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...2f6580c95c8bfc

Thanks You Fivemega, Sway and alpg88! Not sure what I will do yet, but you've given me enough info to consider my options.
    Last edited by Aepoc; 04-30-2011 at 04:10 PM.