Best Lithium Batteries for Mag Body

Aepoc

Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm making an XML mod for my dad, I was wondering what the best battery/Mag body combo would be... I'm trying to run three protected Lithium cells (probably AW's if I can help it). I would like a tight fit aka no rattling due to improper size(I'm open to making spacers). At first I was thinking of a 3 C bored to fit 3 of AW's 26500's, but my father made it very clear that he can't be responsible for monitoring output... He needs protection from over discharge...

Basically I'm looking for a list of what Mag/Cell combos fit/work best...

Thanks in advance!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three 25500 cells with fivemega's C tailcap fit perfectly. I'm running WA1185 in mine, but of course you could mod the head for XML. No rattle, easy to charge.

Aepoc

Enlightened
If it has to be protected and C size Li-Ion, this is the only choice which is about 53.5mm long and will not fit in unmodified 3"C" M*g.

Specifically what mods would I have to do? Probably a bore in the body and could I get away with using the mag tailcap or would I have to use one of yours?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

I'm making an XML mod for my dad, I was wondering what the best battery/Mag body combo would be... I'm trying to run three protected Lithium cells (probably AW's if I can help it). I would like a tight fit aka no rattling due to improper size(I'm open to making spacers). At first I was thinking of a 3 C bored to fit 3 of AW's 26500's, but my father made it very clear that he can't be responsible for monitoring output... He needs protection from over discharge...

Basically I'm looking for a list of what Mag/Cell combos fit/work best...

Thanks in advance!
well even potected cells you wanna monitor voltage, cuz pcb cut off is a last resort, they will not live long if you let them discharge untill potection kicks in everytime
you wanna have (3v times amount of cells), cut off in the driver itself, iirc taskled divers have that, or you can get low voltage alarm fom rc model stores, they use them on li poly cells, and someone here used it on the light as well.

dizhu

Newly Enlightened
or you can get low voltage alarm fom rc model stores, they use them on li poly cells, and someone here used it on the light as well.

Can you provide a source for low voltage monitor? I need for IMR 26500 Mag C flashlights.

Aepoc

Enlightened
well even potected cells you wanna monitor voltage, cuz pcb cut off is a last resort, they will not live long if you let them discharge untill potection kicks in everytime
you wanna have (3v times amount of cells), cut off in the driver itself, iirc taskled divers have that, or you can get low voltage alarm fom rc model stores, they use them on li poly cells, and someone here used it on the light as well.

How does the low voltage alarm from rc stores warn you? Would it just shut the light off like the taskled drivers?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has to be protected and C size Li-Ion, this is the only choice which is about 53.5mm long and will not fit in unmodified 3 "C" M*g.

Specifically what mods would I have to do? Probably a bore in the body and could I get away with using the mag tailcap or would I have to use one of yours?

There is no need to bore out M*g "C" tube when using mentioned cells. Boring is required when using IMR 26XXX cells.

This tail cap is optional but you can also cut down 4C M*g to size of about 3.25 and use original tail cap.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the low voltage alarm from rc stores warn you? Would it just shut the light off like the taskled drivers?

Most of the RC alarms are just that, they warn you with lights and buzzers when the cell or cells reach a predetermined level so you have time to land or bring in your craft without incident.

Aepoc

Enlightened
Thanks You Fivemega, Sway and alpg88! Not sure what I will do yet, but you've given me enough info to consider my options.

Last edited: