Battery Junction
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XECCON SSK-33 HA HID 35W/28W--Mod to a Shorty!

Default Re: XECCON SSK-33 Hard Anodized HID 35W/28W

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    My 2 Ebay HID packs (the 6600mah one) cuts off pretty ok at the terminals, 12.4 or 12.5V always.

That's 3S3P = 9x 18650, a bit too many 18650 for my comfort. I am not sure they have a circuit for individual cells, since my SSK-33 battery doesn't have them. (Does have a protection circuit for the whole pack)

Anyway, I will wire this individual cell protection circuit into the pack, so each cell will have over charge, over discharge protection, plus there is a tempreture protection as well.

Combine that with only running 3x18650, I think my battery pack will be as safe as it gets, much safer than the stock form 6x18650 w/o individual cell protection.
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 05-16-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Flashaholic*

Generally no issue, I use quite lousy 3rd party packs (a lot) for cameras, in the forums also no issue. Its really during charging. I always monitor the Ebay pack myself for heat, and I am charing on a non-flammable surface. We have smoke detector as well (plus HEPA/activated charcoal masks hoods for fires, 1kg dry powder A/B/C fire extinguishers). heh heh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0

Note the temp, if you do monitor it even by hand you tend to know that it has a problem long before it poofs. Fast charging like 1-2hrs are naturally more risky if certain conditions are not met I guess.

OT : Not too bad I guess, compared to these :

Outside hotel : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rW8G4fLT6k
    Outside hotel again : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhh57uy-4c
    Salute cake outside hotel : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_-JUXvmZU0
    Outside apt : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BC8rYLTaeM

I really like pyro (need to go to my wife's Indonesian town to fire them cakes but we do get 1.3Gs there legally)
    Didn't manage to search for any fireworks on sale during my China/Taiwan trips though. I saw people lighting them at night in China on a normal night and during Taiwan elections in the streets.

Last edited by 2100; 05-16-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Amazing firework videos!

Reminds me growing up in Beijing, before they banned public use of fireworks in Beijing, we used to do firework fights at Chinese new year, two groups of kids firing at each other over street corners, shoot firework side ways & throw jumbo fire crackers toward opposing team, some of them size of a small grenade

That was quite insane, so much fun though, but there's always some kids got hurt at new year eve, which is usually how it ends.

ma_sha:

How would you describe the cells in the stock SSK-33 battery pack, are they quality cells? Are the standard cells easily replaceable with AW ones?

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    That's 3S3P = 9x 18650, a bit too many 18650 for my comfort. I am not sure they have a circuit for individual cells, since my SSK-33 battery doesn't have them. (Does have a protection circuit for the whole pack)

Anyway, I will wire this individual cell protection circuit into the pack, so each cell will have over charge, over discharge protection, plus there is a tempreture protection as well.

Combine that with only running 3x18650, I think my battery pack will be as safe as it gets, much safer than the stock form 6x18650 w/o individual cell protection.
    Before we can become old and wise, first we have to be young and foolish.
    When I die, I want to be like grandpa, peaceful and asleep. Unlike his passengers, screaming and yelling...

They are stack of ICR 2600mah cells. they are nearly impossible to get out & replace,
    as they were glued in place.

I cut it short & finished my Mod with 3x2900mah panasonic 18650.
    The AW 2900 is re-branded panasonic 2900 with IC

I don't suggest anyone else trying this, the cutting vented one of the cells, I had to throw it out in the yard to finish the venting, eventually all 6 cells vented triggered by chain reaction.

My finished light is 250mm, almost identical in size to Microfire KR3500 (252mm),
    but has overcome of of the Microfire limittions, such as:

• better tint 5000K vs.8000k Microfire
    • two mode vs microfire single mode
    • longer run time using top capacity 2900mah vs. 2600mah microfire
    • I can now upgrade my pack in the future when panasonic 3300mah 18650 comes out while microfire expensive battery replacement stays at 2600mah.
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 06-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Hey Ma:

Does the light ALWAYS start on 28w first or does it have mode memory?
    When I die, I want to be like grandpa, peaceful and asleep. Unlike his passengers, screaming and yelling...

It always start in 35W mode. If you immediately switch to 28W mode, it'll actually flicker slightly,
    it needs high current for fast warm up, so staring out at 28W mode isn't a good option.

Default Re: XECCON SSK-33 HA HID 35W/28W--Mod to a Shorty!

from ebay

Hey ma_sha, did you order the standard 6000K version or did you request a special 5000K version from the seller?

Thanks.

I requested 5000K version from the seller.

I wonder if the SSK-33 is a better thrower than the Olight SR90? The SR90 has the advantage of having a much bigger reflector, but the SSK-33 has significantly higher output. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare both lights side by side and comment which is a better long distance performer?

I don't think there another guy on CPF with SSK-33, I've had a SR90 but I sold it, too big & heavy.

You can probably get your answer by looking into the link on the post above. My XML Shorty King-of-Throw , an XML U2, 4.2A, 3" reflector led light at 127,000 lux will out throw SR90. However, its no match to the SSK-33, in real life, its not the lumens, neither the lux along, it's the Lux combined with "Lumens in the beam" will ultimately decide who's the ultimate thrower, the SSK-33 will win for sure.

I might be willing to part with my SSK-33 shorty, if you are interested, make me an offer by PM.
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 08-27-2011 at 10:55 AM.

They don't list the SSK-33, probably because its MicroiFire clone look? lawsuit waiting to happen.

It would by nicer if Xeccon HID flashlights used replaceable 18650 batteries. I have a Xeccon 28/35 and one of the batteries developed an internal short. I was able to fix it, with great difficulty. With the 65W /75W models, battery failures could be even more frequent.
    Malo odiat lux (Latin proverb - Evil hates light)

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    Hi JulianP,

The battery is replaceable, you could get a backup battery from the distributor. If you have any question about your light, you could contact me directly, I would like to help.
    Thank you Faye,

I already got a backup battery from the distributor. I reviewed the Xeccon HID here and found it very practical. I would still prefer a battery where the 18650's can be replaced. In ten or fifteen years the flashlight will still work (I hope) but the batteries will not. The distributor might not be in business, and the company might have discontinued the product and its spares. 18650 batteries will probably still be available, perhaps with a much, much higher capacity. I bet they will have a 6000mAh rating, making the Xeccon run for hours.

See where I am coming from? Proprietary batteries essentially mean the product has a shelf life of a few years, and therefore not a good investment. That goes for collectors, emergency services, armed forces etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    So you are interested in the SSK-33 HID torch? If so, please don't worry, it will be updated soon. Didn't update all the flashlights in the website yet, but keep updating now.
    Thanks. but I already have the SSK-33, which I cut & modified to a shorty, thus this thread . don't need another one.

As far as the SSK-15? 3-mode HID that JulianP wishes to have upgradable battery, there is a version of this HID in China that comes with a 3x18650 battery holder, but not sure if there's modes. This is the best set-up, one can safely charge the battery outside and also upgrade batteries to the latest Panasonic High capacity cells at ease.

This is the way to go! Maybe Xeccon should introduce a Xeccon brand of the same set-up & give it 2 or 3 modes?
    The only draw back is that its still the generic body, body tube is fatter than the SSK-33, its unattractive & a bit too wide to hold, one should try to make it as slim as possible.

The SSK-33 body tube design is the best! Make it shorter & runs on 3x18650 battery rack!
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 09-19-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Flashaholic*

"As far as the SSK-15? 3-mode HID that JulianP wishes to have upgradable battery, there is a version of this HID in China that comes with a 3x18650 battery holder"

ma_sha1, could you point me in the right direction to purchase this version with the 3x18650 holder? Thanks.

The SSK-15 looks very interesting to me but I want to be able to install my own 18650s. That's the only thing that has kept me from buying it.
    Last edited by Colonel Sanders; 04-02-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

Flashaholic*

Faye, currently I am using Redilast 2900s which are very commonly used here at CPF. You can see pictures of them on Redilast's website. 3100s are also now available.

I want the option to use whatever cells I want and change them whenever I want just like with any of my other lights.

What I REALLY want is a 75w HID that isn't 380mm long! That's way too big. If I could get a 75w in something under about 250mm I'd be all over it (even 300mm would be ok.)
    Last edited by Colonel Sanders; 04-02-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

Flashaholic*

Faye, I'm very interested in the new 75w. A few questions since it's not on your website.

1. How do I buy it?
    2. What's it called?
    3. What is the MAH of it's batteries? 7800 I assume.
    4. Any idea what kind of LUX it has?
    5. What lumen?
    6. What color temperature?
    7. Is it the same host as your SSK-10?
    8. If not, how is it different?
    9. Is it made in silver or only black?

Sorry if that was more than just a few! Thanks!

Flashaholic*

Cool, thanks. I am looking forward to hearing about #4.

Hi Faye:

1) Any chance that the SSK-33 can be factory upgraded to a 65w ballast model and called like a "SSK-33+"?
    2) Instead of a 4mode(35/55/75+SOS) ballast for the SSK-20S, can Xeccon produce a 2-mode with a simpler 35w low and 75w high setting, or is that too demanding for the ballast?

Well, my hands are getting itchy, so I decided to cut it open again & reduce the length further,
    I was able to cut it down to only 9" total length, ~228mm.

The battery/tail cap section is now shorter than the head/ballast section:

Slightly shorter than mag 2C now

It's looking better and better. Somehow though I don't think this will be the last mod. Perhaps a better reflector?

I forgot to ask before, can you focus the beam on this model? (as much as any HID can be focused, which is ...not much).

You read my mind

And the focus works reasnably well.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianP View Post
    It's looking better and better. Somehow though I don't think this will be the last mod. Perhaps a better reflector?

I forgot to ask before, can you focus the beam on this model? (as much as any HID can be focused, which is ...not much).

Man I really appreciate you taking the time to share pictures etc on the forum. I lean from your threads and they are never short on eye candy. Loved that thread with the super lights firing at that island too.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

Thanks! You are doing awesome yourself, taking the lead in super powerful mag modes

Sorry to drag this thread but did you continue with this project ? A new reflector was planned?

I note this HID on the auction site and was going to plan on cutting it down to size.

Mohan

I tried a 3" deep reflector but no big improvement, plus its too long & no room to fit.
    So this is it, there no way to improve it any further.

Be careful with cutting it down, if you cut open the li-ion battery pack, it'll ignite fire!
    If you are interested in buying this light I made, PM me.