ZebraLight H502 XM-L

JA(me)S

Enlightened
"There will be an H502 (XM-L, <2.9"), slated for release in Q4 this year. The H50 has a negative meniscus lens. The H501 uses a positive meniscus lens. Both are made of polycarbonate. The H502 will use a plano-convex lens (optical grade glass, tempered, AR coated on both sides). We'll have a link to a google docs sheet in 1 or 2 days for all current and upcoming models."

From here.

- Jas.

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ZebraLight H502 X-ML

Thx for the heads-up! I hope it keeps the H501's beam profile and be brighter/more efficient (support for 14500 would be nice too).

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a reflectored light, so it sounds like Zebralight has decided to keep a couple of true floods in the lineup. Good news.

The plano convex lens may (?) mean that the lens will be flat on the outside...I hope...no "bubble" lens hanging out to be scratched as in the H501, although it was well recessed. I liked the H50's almost flat lens best...although protection for it was virtually nonexistent if you took off the rubber hood.

Last edited:

Potato42

Newly Enlightened

I just saw this mentioned in that thread as well. Good news as I also am not a big fan of the newer spotty headlamps. I'll buy it when they have a warm or even better high CRI version.

HIDblue

Enlightened

Also saw that ZL is going to offer the H302 in XM-L in Q1 2012 in a purely flood configuration.

ZebraLight

Enlightened

Not a reflectored light, so it sounds like Zebralight has decided to keep a couple of true floods in the lineup. Good news.

The plano convex lens may (?) mean that the lens will be flat on the outside...I hope...no "bubble" lens hanging out to be scratched as in the H501, although it was well recessed. I liked the H50's almost flat lens best...although protection for it was virtually nonexistent if you took off the rubber hood.

Flat on the inside. The H502 lens is made of optical grade glass, tempered and recessed. The lens in the H501 is made of polycarbonate, prone to scratch.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also saw that ZL is going to offer the H302 in XM-L in Q1 2012 in a purely flood configuration.

WOW! Sounds like ZL is listening to us pure flood enthusiasts after all! And here I was thinking the H501 would be the last pure flood from ZL...ha!

The recessed glass lens sounds like a winner.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope they bring back the simpler UI of the old models and get rid of flashing modes. I don't like any of this nonsense with mode 1 and mode 2 and mode 55 and click click press hold double click triple click do the chicken dance.

tygger

Enlightened

Excellent news. Way to go Zebralight! I will gladly retire my H501w and H501 for this beauty.

JA(me)S

Enlightened

The H502's exterior dimensions, as compared to the H501, have grown slightly to allow for the demands/size of the X-ML:

• H502: 2.9" x .9"
  • H501: 2.75" x .75"
In terms of expected performance increase, this seems a worthwhile trade-off.

- Jas.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The girth given must be for the head of the light, not the battery tube. (If it were the battery tube that would be one fat little AA light.) Looking at the head of my H501 it mikes to .742. A .9 head will be significantly chunkier. And yes, I'll be happy with it if that's what's required. The length of the H501 is actualy 2.620 (on metal), and the lengthening to 2.9 will be negligible. Any guesstimates of what the performance increase will be?

srfreddy

Enlightened

The girth given must be for the head of the light, not the battery tube. (If it were the battery tube that would be one fat little AA light.) Looking at the head of my H501 it mikes to .742. A .9 head will be significantly chunkier. And yes, I'll be happy with it if that's what's required. The length of the H501 is actualy 2.620 (on metal), and the lengthening to 2.9 will be negligible. Any guesstimates of what the performance increase will be?

I'm thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 220, 240 lumens, from higher circuit efficiency, higher optical efficiency, and a more efficient led than the 51s.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I heard or read somewhere that the new 1xAA XM-L offerings are to be 300 lumens, which is darned impressive.

ZebraLight

Enlightened

I'm thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 220, 240 lumens, from higher circuit efficiency, higher optical efficiency, and a more efficient led than the 51s.

I don't have any output figures for the 502 yet but the output from the T5 protypes, which share the same new DC/DC driver, is WAY above the 220-240 range.

The 502 prototye looks like a short H51, about 2.9".

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened

I don't have any output figures for the 502 yet but the output from the T5 protypes, which share the same new circuit, is WAY above the 220-240 range.

The 502 prototye looks like a short H51, about 2.9".

So is the T5 a new series of lights, with tailswitches? Please make angle head XML reflector lights....

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great Scott! regarding the high end. That's a lot of light. Although I don't care so much about the high as I do about the midrange.

I am just hoping for 30-60 lumens in the midrange with a long runtime.

And no parabolic reflector.

Last edited: