PK Design Lab
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021222326 ... LastLast

Thread: ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Default Re: ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    XR-E 5A is well known in the tint world as something that just rocks, hence the reason for more signature about the TK20.
    I never noticed that in your signature. Did you do it after seeing mine or come to the same conclusion separately? It is very true though, (especially for walks in the woods!) I can't believe they discontinued it. We could get some sort of movement going and if we get enough CPF signatures saying the same thing they might consider bringing it back again

Actually though, on a side note, I just got some Nichia 219 92 CRI 4500k LEDs from Craig at illumination-supply this morning and they are honestly the best tint I have ever seen, probably the first to knock the XR-E 5A tint off it's perch. Now if Fenix would remake the TK20 with a Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI and a specially designed light OP reflector + square threads on the head to body connection I would happily buy 3 of them, and I never buy more than one of the same light..
    Last edited by RedForest UK; 05-15-2012 at 08:43 AM.

For those who want a more narrow 80 degree spread could simply get the frosted lens version of the H51.

Im really hoping they make a RED led version of this light. It would be the ULTIMATE tail light for a bicycle
    Four wheels move the body.. Two wheels move the soul

Quote Originally Posted by curry__muncha View Post
    Im really hoping they make a RED led version of this light. It would be the ULTIMATE tail light for a bicycle
    is there a red XML available? one in the pipeline?

I got the red H51r for exactly this purpose, and it *is* an awesome tail-light. Plus, the L-shape makes it very easy to attach to the vertical stays that connect my rack to the rear drop-outs.

For those who want a more narrow 80 degree spread could simply get the frosted lens version of the H51.
    beams of the H501 and frosted H51 are really different.

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post

I would love to have an ability to choose 2 moonlight modes. The difference between 0,01 lumen and 0,34 lumen is huge, it is bigger that the difference between M2 and H1 (12 lumen and 260 lumen). I would probably choose 0,06 lumen because with 0,01 there is just a too big gap to the next level (L1 = 2,7 lumen)...
    It would be great to choose both moonlight modes, but I'm happy we'll be able to choose at least one! I'll probably go with the 0.06lm mode as well...0.34lm is still bright if there's no other light.

On the other hand, there is nothing better in the market now (and the runtimes are incredible), so... Let's see when they bring the w (and hopefully c) model to the market.
    I'd love an H502 with a Nichia 219 (4500K, 92CRI). After seeing beamshots of this emitter I want it in all my lights.
    Maratac AAA Cu w/ Nichia 219; Zebralight H51Fw; Surefire C2 w/ Nichia 219 drop-in.
    Tint>Output!

Quote Originally Posted by tychoseven View Post
    I'd love an H502 with a Nichia 219 (4500K, 92CRI). After seeing beamshots of this emitter I want it in all my lights.
    I'll be happy with a H501 housing a Nichia 219 if it fits. Or the XR-E 5A

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    is there a red XML available? one in the pipeline?

I got the red H51r for exactly this purpose, and it *is* an awesome tail-light. Plus, the L-shape makes it very easy to attach to the vertical stays that connect my rack to the rear drop-outs.
    There is no red XML LED by Cree to my knowledge. If they were to make a red LED one, i assume they would use the same LED as the one in their other current red lights - the XPE (which is plenty sufficient for most people's red illumination purposes).

Was the H51Fr out when you bought your H51r? Wouldnt the frosted version make for a better tail light due to brighter side-beam spread without a significant centre hotspot?
    This is one of the main reasons im waiting it out to get the H502r (which they hopefully do release) - largest angle of visibility without any hot-spot to shoot into other road users' eyes

Quote Originally Posted by RedForest UK View Post
    I never noticed that in your signature. Did you do it after seeing mine or come to the same conclusion separately? It is very true though, (especially for walks in the woods!) I can't believe they discontinued it. We could get some sort of movement going and if we get enough CPF signatures saying the same thing they might consider bringing it back again

Actually though, on a side note, I just got some Nichia 219 92 CRI 4500k LEDs from Craig at illumination-supply this morning and they are honestly the best tint I have ever seen, probably the first to knock the XR-E 5A tint off it's perch. Now if Fenix would remake the TK20 with a Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI and a specially designed light OP reflector + square threads on the head to body connection I would happily buy 3 of them, and I never buy more than one of the same light..
    I seen your sig and just knew more were needed. LOL! I think the XP-E 5A in my Quark AA is also very nice but gotta say hiking with those XR-E 5As in the TK20 and H501w works well for me. I am going to hold off for the w H502 as this will give time for people to sniff out any bugs and won't get on the wrong side of any early V2 models as we seen in he past. Or maybe I will break down and get a standard one if there isn't any of that squid piss green going on. Then again for some reason I am not jumping for joy as was expected. Not sure why however? Still I want it but now thinking about an XM-L reflector version with he same stats. Could be like the TK20 the H501w still rocks.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

...If they were to make a red LED one, i assume they would use the same LED as the one in their other current red lights - the XPE...
    This is one of the main reasons im waiting it out to get the H502r (which they hopefully do release) - largest angle of visibility without any hot-spot to shoot into other road users' eyes
    Ahh...I see. I sort of think of the "502" designation as meaning an XML emitter, but I suppose one could think of it as the body configuration and the circuitry, regardless of the emitter. Yeah, that would be a pretty incredible package--very efficient, wide-angle red light. I'd buy it!

I bought the non-frosted H51r because I wanted the option of throw for other purposes, and I figured I can always put diffusers on. Sure enough, the glass diffuser disk from the 4Sevens prism kit makes a good diffuser when I want one.

But I also don't mind having throw on the rear of the bike. I ride on a lot of country roads, and I want cars to see me a long distance back. And it is mounted low, near the chain-stay, so when they get up closer it should not be right in their eyes.

In addition, I have a Quark RGB mounted at rack-level, for a much wider-angle hot-spot-free red light. Visibility is a life-saver!

Sometimes I joke that I have all those red photons pouring out the back in order to give myself a forward propulsion boost. They're not just safety lights, they're photon rockets! The trouble is that I have a TK 35 on the front handle-bars, pushing me backwards....

Thumbs up Re: ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by tychoseven View Post
    It would be great to choose both moonlight modes, but I'm happy we'll be able to choose at least one! I'll probably go with the 0.06lm mode as well...0.34lm is still bright if there's no other light.
    Oh, I don't care about the programmability. I just wish the modes were a bit more equally spaced. The low and firefly modes could be spaced with tenfold increases (or perhaps a little more). With high modes the battery life becomes more important, so, the increases could be smaller. If I could choose those 6 modes freely, I would forget one of the medium modes and go with 0,01 - 0,34 - 2,7 - 25 - 100 and 260 lumen.

I wish someone offered a light with two firefly modes (and the threaded bezel that Bolster has been suggesting would be a good idea, too). But it is a very nice headlamp anyway. I will still be waiting to see if they announce a Nichia version.

I normally wait for the reviews before buying a new one, but I couldn't resist and ordered the H502. I put a note to include the GITD holder as I prefer it over the plain black silicone holders.

Unenlightened

I have been watching ZL for months waiting for the H502. I would like to have a warm version but am not willing to wait. Ordered on friday. I did the same thing with my H51, could not buck up the patience to wait for the warm version. I carry it with me everywhere I go.

Was the H51Fr out when you bought your H51r? Wouldnt the frosted version make for a better tail light due to brighter side-beam spread without a significant centre hotspot?
    I would also recommend the H51Fr. Before that was out I used a H501r attached to my pack when I went cycling. I was excited to hear about the H51r when it was set to release, but disappointed when I received it. Not that it is a bad light as it isn't, it just wasn't the right light for what I inteded to use as a tail light.

I sold it off and bought up the H51Fr as soon as it came out. It's attached on my pack just below my H501r and puts out a lot more light. I'll see if I can find a picture in a bit.

Both on L2

Both on max

Wall shot, H501R on top, H51Fr on bottom

That said, I still would pick up an H502r as well.
    Last edited by moshow9; 05-16-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Click Here to view my lights

Quote Originally Posted by moshow9 View Post
    ...I was excited to hear about the H51r when it was set to release, but disappointed when I received it....I sold it off and bought up the H51r as soon as it came out....
    moshow--did you mean for both of those to say "H51r"?

Or for the first one (the disappointing one) did you mean to say "H501r", and then the H51r is the one you like?

Or was the first one the H51r clear-lens, and for the second one you meant to say "H51Fr" for the floody lens?

Thanks for pics!

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    moshow--did you mean for both of those to say "H51r"?

Or for the first one (the disappointing one) did you mean to say "H501r", and then the H51r is the one you like?

Or was the first one the H51r clear-lens, and for the second one you meant to say "H51Fr" for the floody lens?

Thanks for pics!
    Thanks for that catch . I meant that I love the pure flood of the H501r, and diffused beam of the H51Fr. H51r is a great light, but just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by moshow9 View Post

Wall shot, H501R on top, H51Fr on bottom

Doublecheck? You say the H501r is on top? To my eye the beam on the lower left looks like the H501r.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
    Doublecheck? You say the H501r is on top? To my eye the beam on the lower left looks like the H501r.
    Yup, placement on the pack has the H501r on the top where the shoulder strap begins, attached to the pals webbing. Initially, I was going to use the H51Fr to completely replace the H501r but did not like the way the H51Fr attached in that same area. I left the H501r on top, completely cut off the bottom clasp (the front pocket is loose and will swing open if flipped upside down) and attached the H51Fr on the receiver (or female) end of the clasp with its holder and zip ties.

For the photo I held the bag with the upper handle (in the same orientation as it would be when I am riding).

So...the H51Fr has a wider and smoother flood beam than the H501r? Wow.

I own an H501r and I didn't think you could get a wider or more even beam from a 51F.
    Last edited by Bolster; 05-16-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Moshow9, if you were to pick just one out of the H501r or H51Fr, which one would you prefer as a tail light?
    PS. Thanks for the pics!

Bolster, the H501r has the more wider and smoother beam. It's because the H51Fr's beam from the reflector that on the wall shot it shows up as a larger circle compared to the H501r

Moshow9, if you were to pick just one out of the H501r or H51Fr, which one would you prefer as a tail light?
    Me, I only own the H51r, so I can't make the judgment from personal experience.

But to go by the numbers on the website, the H501r has a High of only 33 lumens (for 2.4 hours) versus a high of 95 lumens for the H51Fr. Even if you drop the H51 down to H2 in order to get 2.4 hours out of it, it is still putting out 57 lumens to the H501's 33.

So 2.4 hours of 33 lumens vs. 2.4 hours of 57 lumens? I think I'd probably go with the H51.

PS. Thanks for the pics!

Bolster, the H501r has the more wider and smoother beam. It's because the H51Fr's beam from the reflector that on the wall shot it shows up as a larger circle compared to the H501r
    If I had to choose between only one it would be the H51Fr. For me, more output = higher visibility, and I prefer to be as visible as possible when it's dark out.

Yeah, if the H51Fr is considerably brighter, then it would appear to have a fuller beam in the same photograph as a H501r, which is essentially "underexposed." Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb6603 View Post
    I have been watching ZL for months waiting for the H502. I would like to have a warm version but am not willing to wait. Ordered on friday. I did the same thing with my H51, could not buck up the patience to wait for the warm version. I carry it with me everywhere I go.
    H502w is supposed to be released in June, according to ZL when I asked them yesterday.

Neutral in June is great news!

But can I wait that long....

I have been thinking about getting a cool-white for the front of my bike--even if Neutrals are better for seeing, I think the cool-white is better for *being* seen; it's brighter, and also slightly more jarring and unnatural. Attention-getting, which is what you want when you are trying to avoid becoming bug-splat on a truck windshield.

So I could get the cool-white on May 28...get the Neutral in June...and get the Red XRE if they ever make it....

Huh-boy! There goes my budget!

I wonder how far away the H302s are? I'd prefer one of those more than the H502 even. The H502 will tide me over until they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    H502 doesn't have any collimator. I believe you didn't remember that the light intensity (spatial distribution) is not constant to every direction. It is highest straigth forward, and drops to ~50% at 60 degrees (120 degree beam). There might also be some extra losses in the periphery due to reflections from the glass.

There is no collimator. If they chose to use 80 degree beam, it would have just meant a tighter collar and the light from the extra spill would be lost. It could be collected with a collimator, but then the light wouldn't quite be a pure flood light any more, and the body would be longer, too (maybe as long as H51). With current design, I believe there is no space for a quality reflector or lens.
    Yeah, I've been "out" for too long... Knew that about the light distribution. However, the H502 has a lens, as do the H501 and H50.
    "There will be an H502 (XM-L, <2.9"), slated for release in Q4 this year. The H50 has a negative meniscus lens. The H501 uses a positive meniscus lens. Both are made of polycarbonate. The H502 will use a plano-convex lens (optical grade glass, tempered, AR coated on both sides)."

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    H502w is supposed to be released in June, according to ZL when I asked them yesterday.
    This is good news....and it's been confirmed. I checked their website, and the neutral version is now listed on Zebralight's "Compare All Models" page as being released this coming June.....nice.
    Last edited by Outdoorsman5; 05-18-2012 at 12:03 PM.

16 pages on a light that's not even out yet and a headlamp to boot, wow. Then again I can see why I think ZL makes the best light's in the world and despite the fact the beam angle isn't my favorite the 502 may still end up on my doorstep.

I say it's a headlamp but I feel I should almost add a disclaimer saying ZL headlamps can be used as a handheld if someone doesn't already know that.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Thumbs up Re: ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by srfreddy View Post
    However, the H502 has a lens, as do the H501 and H50.
    "There will be an H502 (XM-L, <2.9"), slated for release in Q4 this year. The H50 has a negative meniscus lens. The H501 uses a positive meniscus lens. Both are made of polycarbonate. The H502 will use a plano-convex lens (optical grade glass, tempered, AR coated on both sides)."
    You are right. The lens wasn't very obvious in the photo, so, I thought that a pure flood light has only a glass to protect the emitter.

I wrote to ZL customer service and got to know, that there will be a Rebel high cri version available later (no date specified). I also suggested that they could consider and check the Nichia 219 4500K high cri emitter, which is loved by many flashlight enthusiastics that are interested in color rendering. The CS person replied that they have tested it, but at least she didn't know about any plans to use it in the lights yet.
    Last edited by Esko; 05-20-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Just curious, do they have any plans for a H52?
    Can't find the specsheet, sorry.
    Then it comes to be that the soothing light
    At the end of your tunnel
    Was just a FREIGHT TRAIN coming your way...

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021222326 ... LastLast