ArmyTek

Thread: Southern California

Flashaholic

Default Southern California

I'm quite surprised by the lack of meetups for Southern California flashaholics. Are there enough CPFers from the Los Angeles area to get a dozen or two of us together to check out lights and scare the neighbors?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Southern California

I would like to find a few to go night hiking. I don't know where they allow night hiking in Los Angeles.

Down the street...not a good Idea, of course...from what I've seen of LA. Pretty much all the parks close at sunset...

Flashaholic

The Angeles National Forest affords many opportunities for night hikes. There are only a couple of areas to avoid and a couple that are closed at night, but the rest is wide open. Night hikes are great, especially in the hot summer months.

Enlightened

So, any meetups for Southern Cal CPFers?

I found this article in the LA Times talking about night hikes (but most people don't use flashlights it seems):

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul...night-20100719
    Last edited by bruintennis; 02-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.

I'm from Austria (proud flashoholic since 3-4 years) and freshly immigrated to LA 1 month ago. I'd love to join some nighthike with other light addicts. Sure bring my TK70 with me!
    "Do not Weep. I shall draw all Things which perish into myself When I am lifted from the Earth." ~ Begotten (1991)

Flashaholic*

We had a couple of meetups at the old zoo near Glendale in 2006-7 when I was there. BVH was there with his tank light, and the surefire guy came to one (Peter Kim?), as well as the guys who built the "Klingon" flashlights, and the Amondotech guys with their new N30 HID lights. LowBat was involved in booking the venue. It's sad to hear that these meetups haven't continued since I left for Las Vegas.

Well if anyone knows some knews about future meetups I'm definitely interested!
    "Do not Weep. I shall draw all Things which perish into myself When I am lifted from the Earth." ~ Begotten (1991)

Flashaholic*

I live in LA and would be interested as well.

I'm down in San Diego and willing to travel north for a meet-up/gtg any time

Flashaholic*

I think we have enough for a small meet-up/gtg.

I would love to check out different lights and can bring mine including a couple Nichia HCRI lights for others to check out.

Just need to find a decent place away from all the ambient light.

Would anyone be willing to share there home w/dark back yard? We could possibly turn this into a potluck!

I live in the San Fernando Valley. A good park for night hiking is O'Melvany Park in Granada Hills. Also, as mentioned above, Angeles National Forest, however it takes about an hour to get out of the burnt areas and reach the forest.

@The dAY
    Sorry for the late reply, had "thread subscription problems".

I'm interested in a meetup but can't think of any proper location.

Another Angeleno here. I'm interested if we can make it happen.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Banned

Dana Point
    Last edited by Empire; 08-31-2012 at 07:42 AM.

San Diego also, wouldn't mind a drive to a night hike or even bike ride.

Smile Re: Southern California

Hey guys! I just joined CPF. So any more people interested? I'm in the SGV.

Cheers,

I am in the Beverly Hills area, Palm Springs (Desert), and up to Seattle. The desert is our main home.

The Jousua Tree National Park is pitch dark. Or other areas just out out of LA

I too feel there has to be quite a few people in Southern California - with lights.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Mohave Desert (Apple Valley), California, USA

I second the motion of Joshua Tree Park...won't get shot or mugged and noone to bother.

We can organize a meet up with a site called Meetup.com

If you don't see a group in your area, you can start one and become the facilitator of the meet up. Maybe we should start one for Flashlightaholics. (Flashaholic makes me think of people addicted to flashing.. Lol)

Maybe we can organize a night hike on the site? It has RSVP function so we can guesstimate how many of us are planning to go. Have one in LA, OC, IE, Desert, etc to cover all areas.

If I start a meetup would that be something you would be interested in using to coordinate a night hike? Seems like it would be a bit disorganized on a forum to organize.
    Last edited by HistoryChannel; 03-09-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Griffith park after dark is great, but how about Elysian Park just outside Dodger stadium. I grew up around there and know that it is a very dark place once you get past the Barlow hospital. About 1 minute drive from Dodger stadium's main entrance. I will be happy to go and learn about the different flash lights. I currently own a Solar force and itching to buy half dozen lights in the next months for work.