The 5mm Challenge

carrot

Flashaholic
Are you guys ready for a challenge?

Pick a 1x5mm light (Arc-AAA, Peak Matterhorn, Fenix E01, McGizmo Sapphire, Photon Freedom, Gerber IU, Gerber Sonic, etc) from your collection.

5mmledmed.jpg

Post pictures.

Now use it exclusively for a week for your EDC needs. If you need to use a brighter flashlight, you fail the 5mm challenge!
(If you need a flashlight for work, that's a different story.)

Report back.

I am curious to see how many flashaholics can "survive" on a 5mm LED! :candle:

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I could easily sustain my needs for a week (assuming no search&rescue mission) with my Maratac AAA. 80 lumens on high, 3 modes, simple attractive stainless look/feel, pocket clip... But to force myself to use just one for a whole week? Don't think I would want to... But I could :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yowza.
5685011587_709803d3f2_z.jpg

This is my keychain light, bounty for security consultation with another forum. It's companion to a NW Q5 Quark AA^2. We'll see if I can override the two-year-old reflex to grab the Quark every time.

Best luck!

Edit:
I could easily sustain my needs for a week (assuming no search&rescue mission) with my Maratac AAA. 80 lumens on high, 3 modes, simple attractive stainless look/feel, pocket clip... But to force myself to use just one for a whole week? Don't think I would want to... But I could :)
Sorry, that's an XP-E, isn't it? That's a high-end, glass-domed power LED, not an epoxy-potted low-power critter

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
That's not a 5mm-based light. This is a self-administered challenge to see if you can in fact, live with only 5-10 lumens! (10 lumen figure taken from Arcflashlight.com)

For reference, this is a 5mm LED:
5mmledmed.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
This Arc-AAA is my entrant into the challenge. As you can see it has been extremely well-loved, having been on my keychain for nearly 5 years now! It is a Type II Anodize Camouflage model running a Nichia CS LED. I am told it is 5.5 lumens.

5685010301_af36c20994.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
An interesting challenge. Not sure if I'm ready to face it. It will be difficult to decide which light to use. Might just be and old Arc, too.

Geoff

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I use a different light for dog walking?

If not, I have a mint Matty single, and a SS Kilimanjaro single which would do. I think I'd have to put an HA body on the Kili for weight reasons though.

Interesting challenge...

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do it all the time.
I've gone for months with only my Photon Freedom as a EDC.
No problem at all.
10+ lumens, with infinitely adjustable output level, and the size of a quarter, with a hidden mode bank of beacon, SOS, strobe modes too.
With my typical use, the 2x2016 batteries last about 6 months before they need changing. And I use the light nearly every night for a short time.
IMO, it's by far the best keychain light made.
It makes most of the AAA 5mm flashlights seem positively crude and dim in comparison.
I might add that the tint is actually white, which some manufacturers seem unable to manage.

Last edited:

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a pic to share, but I will accept your challenge by carrying my E01 for the next week. It was my EDC for about 2 years until a Matterhorn and then an Eiger bumped it. It will be nice to carry it again.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hmmm, interesting challenge Carrot. I might try it. I would probably still carry my other lights, but try to resist the urge to use them unless it was some sort of "must" situation. Does that still qualify if we have other lights along but don't use them?

carrot

Flashaholic
Hmmm, interesting challenge Carrot. I might try it. I would probably still carry my other lights, but try to resist the urge to use them unless it was some sort of "must" situation. Does that still qualify if we have other lights along but don't use them?

Yes, go ahead, but be wary of instinctive reaction. I wanted to light something up and had to stop myself from grabbing my usual EDC!

Edit: As AnAppleSnail found out...
Well that was quick.

"Hey hon, how does the pizza in the oven look?"
*click* Dang! "Looks fine, dear."

Try again?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
AWESOME idea, Carrot! :bow: Here's my entry! :) Survivor of this winter's abuse thread, a steelwool diffused Olive EO1. Still going strong and living on my keyring. I reserve the right to add a chapstick cap diffuser for stealthy midnight runs and getting ready for work. I draw the line, though, at using the Ladybug for an EDC knife... :)

P1010511.jpg

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Jeez carrot! I usually carry 4 or 5 lights on me. This is gonna be tough. I will enter with my Photon Freedom so I at least have different levels to use.

Dsc01975-1.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
Can I use a different light for dog walking?

If not, I have a mint Matty single, and a SS Kilimanjaro single which would do. I think I'd have to put an HA body on the Kili for weight reasons though.

Interesting challenge...
Do you think the dog will mind if you skimp on lighting for his walks this week??? :)

BKwidow

Newly Enlightened
P1050283.jpg

Normaly use my preon 2 when i go running at night so well see how well the E01 holds up..

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dog would love it. I need a little advanced notice when she's about to take-off after a critter (selective hearing). If I see it first, I can be pro active, and keep her attention. :p

She's a great dog, best I've had, she just has a tad bit too much Siberian Husky DNA. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
The dog would love it. I need a little advanced notice when she's about to take-off after a critter (selective hearing). If I see it first, I can be pro active, and keep her attention. :p

She's a great dog, best I've had, she just has a tad bit too much Siberian Husky DNA. :)
Hmm, probably for your and your dog's safety you should suspend the challenge during nightly walks!