Maxpedition - Knives and Tools

Thread: Best extreme LED thrower?? 1000+lum

Default Best extreme LED thrower?? 1000+lum

I was just wondering what the best thrower is? I've researched the Olight sr90, 91 and New Fenix tk70. The tk70 is an awesome light, great tint and seems like enough throw. but how does the sr91 compare? Read that it and the 90 are basically the same, except smaller.

IMO the 90 and TK70 are too big for when I'm ready to buy a big time thrower. What other options are out there like the Sr91, preferably in the 1500+lm range? I keep reading on Malkoff dropins and don't fully understand them and haven't seen much on beams or lux readings. (sr90 is like 200+k lux on high, insane...just don't care for the tint and size...a more warm tint would be nice but it's not mandatory as I would still get a sr91 for the smaller size and about equal light/throw) and preferably not more than $300
    Last edited by DivineStrike; 05-05-2011 at 05:30 AM.

Default Re: Best extreme LED thrower??

It's less than 1500lm, and depending on where you look, a whole lot more than $300, but I would say Led Lenser X21. It has a flood to focus system, which helps it throw further, and is rated 1000lm with it's 7 (I think) Cree's. TK70 looks awesome, and claimed 2000lm is insane, but looks to be more of a flood.

Yea that light, from the pictures I can actually see on the work computer, is pretty insane. Good flood and throw. Also forgot to mention duration is important. The olight 91 seems to be kind of the base of what I'm looking for 3hrs on max, etc... Yea I mentioned the tk70 more for the tint of light and "short" range throw is wide and seems to work really well, overall though i want a more dedicated thrower and smaller size (a foot or less, no bigger than 3D maglite length). I'm not against Lenser though either. Focusing system is pretty cool, and works well. IDK if the 21's system is the same as i think the 17. extension and retraction for focusing, but after continued use it starts to lose its "firmness" and gets loose.
    Last edited by DivineStrike; 05-05-2011 at 03:57 AM.

Check out Eagletac's M3C4's if you havent already....the tripple XM L spits out some good light. OOPS just realized your criteria must be a bit more lumens...The drop in idea is a good one. There are many out there. Torchlabs, Nailbenders, Malkoff's...Just a thought, have you considered HID Xenon lights? 2200 lumen is pretty do-able for under $300.
    Last edited by Jackasper; 05-05-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackasper View Post
    Check out Eagletac's M3C4's if you havent already....the tripple XM L spits out some good light. OOPS just realized your criteria must be a bit more lumens...The drop in idea is a good one. There are many out there. Torchlabs, Nailbenders, Malkoff's...Just a thought, have you considered HID Xenon lights? 2200 lumen is pretty do-able for under $300.
    yea I just don't understand the whole drop in idea. Ya have to already have a light i guess and drop in a new bulb?

Lamdalights.com has a 3C Varapower Mag build.

90K lux and 1100 OTF lumens using a 3C Mag as a hosts and 33 modes. From 1 lumen~1100 plus via XM-L 6T

The SR90 is 95K lux and 1400ish OTF lumens and a whole lot bigger and heavier and twice the price of a 3C VARA.

bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Default Re: Best extreme LED thrower?? 1000+lum

I'm looking for much the same thing, just after pure throw for a rifle light. My only criteria are a 1" body so I can mount it and the head can't be huge so it will fit mounted above the scope.

The best thing i've seen so far is the Wolf Eyes Sea Lion Hunter. Claimed 1000 lumens. It has an aspheric LED with some spill. I've never seen one IRL though, and there are no reviews anywhere that I can find, so I'm just going off the webpage here http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-sea...ter-p-157.html . It also comes with a second led, a "multi level LED", that you can swap for the aspheric to turn it into what I assume would be a more normal beam pattern. I'm tempted to go for this because its almost like two lights for one and I don't have to mess around legoing bodies and drop ins etc.
    Last edited by rockatansky; 05-05-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Unenlightened

Great Topic. I am looking for the same thing except green LED's. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
    yea I just don't understand the whole drop in idea. Ya have to already have a light i guess and drop in a new bulb?
    It's actually pretty simple. Yes, you have to first have a light or 'host' as it will become or you can buy one. You had mentioned you wanted a smaller sized light which is perfect for drop in modding. There are so many options out there but I'll start with the most popular and very available P60. All sorts of manufacturers make different drop ins that fit the P60 size. Brightness range from under 100 lumen to well over 1000. A "drop in" is a light module or engine. It's the business end of the LED flashlight, the heatsink, driver and circuitboard, the LED and usually a reflector that best compliments the LED that you are choosing. It's the head of the light all in one. Confusing at first, I know. There is a mass amount of info in these forums on this.
    I am certain, if you give it a chance, you will find that you can get the exact light you want and so much more by going the drop in route. Just ask questions, these guys and gals here will help.

Quote Originally Posted by rockatansky View Post
    I'm looking for much the same thing, just after pure throw for a rifle light. My only criteria are a 1" body so I can mount it and the head can't be huge so it will fit mounted above the scope.

The best thing i've seen so far is the Wolf Eyes Sea Lion Hunter. Claimed 1000 lumens. It has an aspheric LED with some spill. I've never seen one IRL though, and there are no reviews anywhere that I can find, so I'm just going off the webpage here http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-sea...ter-p-157.html . It also comes with a second led, a "multi level LED", that you can swap for the aspheric to turn it into what I assume would be a more normal beam pattern. I'm tempted to go for this because its almost like two lights for one and I don't have to mess around legoing bodies and drop ins etc.
    I am about to release a light that should fit the bill for what you are looking for. The head is only 1 1/4" and it has very good throw. In fact at that size range nothing on the market will beat it. Keep in mind that the lumen output of the light is not the major factor when it comes to throw. A lot of companies are using the larger die LEDs because they put out a lot of light and therefore it helps the marketing side of things to be able to say XXXX amount of lumens. They are playing off the lack of knowledge of most consumers who think more lumens= more throw. This is the wrong spec to be looking at when comparing throwers. You need to know the cp or lux @1meter to really be able to compare lights.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    I am about to release a light that should fit the bill for what you are looking for. The head is only 1 1/4" and it has very good throw. In fact at that size range nothing on the market will beat it. Keep in mind that the lumen output of the light is not the major factor when it comes to throw. A lot of companies are using the larger die LEDs because they put out a lot of light and therefore it helps the marketing side of things to be able to say XXXX amount of lumens. They are playing off the lack of knowledge of most consumers who think more lumens= more throw. This is the wrong spec to be looking at when comparing throwers. You need to know the cp or lux @1meter to really be able to compare lights.
    Is this the E-Lucid-8 light that is about to be released. If so, can you give us a hint when this light will be available?
    Last edited by AlPal; 05-06-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Flashaholic

I think thrunight catapault is available with a thrower head and a 25mm body tube.

Flashaholic

Looking at the WOlf for hunters, they are saying a 1000 lumen light is designed for 100m throw. !!!!!!!!! My Jetbeam RRT-1 Raptor will do longer than that and that is a 250 R2!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlPal View Post
    Is this the E-Lucid-8 light that is about to be released. If so, can you give us a hint when this light will be available?
    No the E-Lucid-8 is a flood light. The one I am referring to is a new member to the DEFT family of throw lights. A lot of people, while loving the throw afforded by the original DEFT, wanted something more pocketable. So I am doing for small lights what I did in the larger throw category. Namely upping the game and creating a light that, for its size, cannot be beat by designing not based on the latest LED fads and marketability but by "right sizing" and matching components properly. The first public viewing will be for those showing up at next week's GTG in the DFW area.

Talking Re: Best extreme LED thrower?? 1000+lum

Hey saabluster, are you going to sell this new light to Elusive Wildlife and make a ton of money?

Thumbs up Re: Best extreme LED thrower?? 1000+lum

thank you for all the infos

Flashaholic

No the E-Lucid-8 is a flood light. The one I am referring to is a new member to the DEFT family of throw lights. A lot of people, while loving the throw afforded by the original DEFT, wanted something more pocketable. So I am doing for small lights what I did in the larger throw category. Namely upping the game and creating a light that, for its size, cannot be beat by designing not based on the latest LED fads and marketability but by "right sizing" and matching components properly. The first public viewing will be for those showing up at next week's GTG in the DFW area.
    Please let me have details, lead times and costs/options Michael.

My DEFT has been excellent.

Any DEFT non users - you are missing out. I thoroughly recommend Mikes work and it does more than it says on the tin. This man is a maestro at getting tiny LED's (by todays standards) go very long and stay strong.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
    I was just wondering what the best thrower is? I've researched the Olight sr90, 91 and New Fenix tk70. The tk70 is an awesome light, great tint and seems like enough throw. but how does the sr91 compare? Read that it and the 90 are basically the same, except smaller.

IMO the 90 and TK70 are too big for when I'm ready to buy a big time thrower. What other options are out there like the Sr91, preferably in the 1500+lm range? I keep reading on Malkoff dropins and don't fully understand them and haven't seen much on beams or lux readings. (sr90 is like 200+k lux on high, insane...just don't care for the tint and size...a more warm tint would be nice but it's not mandatory as I would still get a sr91 for the smaller size and about equal light/throw) and preferably not more than $300
    Check out Peak LEDs larger thrower lights. They have some that put out about 1500 lumens and I think are within your price range. Bodies are cool because they have various battery configurations available.
    http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/SANDR.html

I am vaguely familiar with DEFT, does that automatically mean aspheric?

Quote Originally Posted by looman View Post
    Please let me have details, lead times and costs/options Michael.

My DEFT has been excellent.

Any DEFT non users - you are missing out. I thoroughly recommend Mikes work and it does more than it says on the tin. This man is a maestro at getting tiny LED's (by todays standards) go very long and stay strong.
    I missed out on the previous Deft, but I am on the contact list when the new Deft is available. Looks like we won't have to wait much longer. A more compact Deft model sounds great.
    Last edited by AlPal; 05-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.

The SR90 has a MUCH greater throw because of its much larger head. I have also read that the SR91 is less efficient (same runtime with less power) than the SR90. I have the SR90, and it is astonishing, but I also have a Jetbeam M1Xm which is also astonishing, as far as throw goes. It is relatively small, very lightweight, but with a very large reflector for killer throw. And its $150.. The Thrunite Catapult is also very similar, although quite a bit heavier and reported a little further throw than the M1Xm.

Regarding drop-ins, you're going ot find those in a P60 (Surefire 6P etc) compatible format. And the problem there is the small head size, therefore small reflector size. This means throw is limited. I have an 1500 lumen quad drop-in and it doesn't even come close to my Jetbeam M1Xm's throw, simply because if reflector size.

The SR90 has a MUCH greater throw because of its much larger head. I have also read that the SR91 is less efficient (same runtime with less power) than the SR90. I have the SR90, and it is astonishing, but I also have a Jetbeam M1Xm which is also astonishing, as far as throw goes. It is relatively small, very lightweight, but with a very large reflector for killer throw. And its $150.. The Thrunite Catapult is also very similar, although quite a bit heavier and reported a little further throw than the M1Xm.

Regarding drop-ins, you're going ot find those in a P60 (Surefire 6P etc) compatible format. And the problem there is the small head size, therefore small reflector size. This means throw is limited. I have an 1500 lumen quad drop-in and it doesn't even come close to my Jetbeam M1Xm's throw, simply because if reflector size.

Unenlightened

I missed out on the Deft FTP. Is there any replacement planned?

It seems the only DEFt available now are the small pocket models?

I currently have the TK70 and love it but wish it were a bit smaller.