Best extreme LED thrower?? 1000+lum

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering what the best thrower is? I've researched the Olight sr90, 91 and New Fenix tk70. The tk70 is an awesome light, great tint and seems like enough throw. but how does the sr91 compare? Read that it and the 90 are basically the same, except smaller.

IMO the 90 and TK70 are too big for when I'm ready to buy a big time thrower. What other options are out there like the Sr91, preferably in the 1500+lm range? I keep reading on Malkoff dropins and don't fully understand them and haven't seen much on beams or lux readings. (sr90 is like 200+k lux on high, insane...just don't care for the tint and size...a more warm tint would be nice but it's not mandatory as I would still get a sr91 for the smaller size and about equal light/throw) and preferably not more than $300

Last edited:

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best extreme LED thrower??

It's less than 1500lm, and depending on where you look, a whole lot more than $300, but I would say Led Lenser X21. It has a flood to focus system, which helps it throw further, and is rated 1000lm with it's 7 (I think) Cree's. TK70 looks awesome, and claimed 2000lm is insane, but looks to be more of a flood.

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened

Yea that light, from the pictures I can actually see on the work computer, is pretty insane. Good flood and throw. Also forgot to mention duration is important. The olight 91 seems to be kind of the base of what I'm looking for 3hrs on max, etc... Yea I mentioned the tk70 more for the tint of light and "short" range throw is wide and seems to work really well, overall though i want a more dedicated thrower and smaller size (a foot or less, no bigger than 3D maglite length). I'm not against Lenser though either. Focusing system is pretty cool, and works well. IDK if the 21's system is the same as i think the 17. extension and retraction for focusing, but after continued use it starts to lose its "firmness" and gets loose.

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened

Check out Eagletac's M3C4's if you havent already....the tripple XM L spits out some good light. OOPS just realized your criteria must be a bit more lumens...The drop in idea is a good one. There are many out there. Torchlabs, Nailbenders, Malkoff's...Just a thought, have you considered HID Xenon lights? 2200 lumen is pretty do-able for under $300.

Last edited:

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened

Check out Eagletac's M3C4's if you havent already....the tripple XM L spits out some good light. OOPS just realized your criteria must be a bit more lumens...The drop in idea is a good one. There are many out there. Torchlabs, Nailbenders, Malkoff's...Just a thought, have you considered HID Xenon lights? 2200 lumen is pretty do-able for under $300.

yea I just don't understand the whole drop in idea. Ya have to already have a light i guess and drop in a new bulb?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lamdalights.com has a 3C Varapower Mag build.

90K lux and 1100 OTF lumens using a 3C Mag as a hosts and 33 modes. From 1 lumen~1100 plus via XM-L 6T

The SR90 is 95K lux and 1400ish OTF lumens and a whole lot bigger and heavier and twice the price of a 3C VARA.

bigC

rockatansky

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for much the same thing, just after pure throw for a rifle light. My only criteria are a 1" body so I can mount it and the head can't be huge so it will fit mounted above the scope.

The best thing i've seen so far is the Wolf Eyes Sea Lion Hunter. Claimed 1000 lumens. It has an aspheric LED with some spill. I've never seen one IRL though, and there are no reviews anywhere that I can find, so I'm just going off the webpage here http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-sea-lion-hunter-p-157.html . It also comes with a second led, a "multi level LED", that you can swap for the aspheric to turn it into what I assume would be a more normal beam pattern. I'm tempted to go for this because its almost like two lights for one and I don't have to mess around legoing bodies and drop ins etc.

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened

yea I just don't understand the whole drop in idea. Ya have to already have a light i guess and drop in a new bulb?

It's actually pretty simple. Yes, you have to first have a light or 'host' as it will become or you can buy one. You had mentioned you wanted a smaller sized light which is perfect for drop in modding. There are so many options out there but I'll start with the most popular and very available P60. All sorts of manufacturers make different drop ins that fit the P60 size. Brightness range from under 100 lumen to well over 1000. A "drop in" is a light module or engine. It's the business end of the LED flashlight, the heatsink, driver and circuitboard, the LED and usually a reflector that best compliments the LED that you are choosing. It's the head of the light all in one. Confusing at first, I know. There is a mass amount of info in these forums on this.
I am certain, if you give it a chance, you will find that you can get the exact light you want and so much more by going the drop in route. Just ask questions, these guys and gals here will help.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for much the same thing, just after pure throw for a rifle light. My only criteria are a 1" body so I can mount it and the head can't be huge so it will fit mounted above the scope.

The best thing i've seen so far is the Wolf Eyes Sea Lion Hunter. Claimed 1000 lumens. It has an aspheric LED with some spill. I've never seen one IRL though, and there are no reviews anywhere that I can find, so I'm just going off the webpage here http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-sea-lion-hunter-p-157.html . It also comes with a second led, a "multi level LED", that you can swap for the aspheric to turn it into what I assume would be a more normal beam pattern. I'm tempted to go for this because its almost like two lights for one and I don't have to mess around legoing bodies and drop ins etc.

I am about to release a light that should fit the bill for what you are looking for. The head is only 1 1/4" and it has very good throw. In fact at that size range nothing on the market will beat it. Keep in mind that the lumen output of the light is not the major factor when it comes to throw. A lot of companies are using the larger die LEDs because they put out a lot of light and therefore it helps the marketing side of things to be able to say XXXX amount of lumens. They are playing off the lack of knowledge of most consumers who think more lumens= more throw. This is the wrong spec to be looking at when comparing throwers. You need to know the cp or lux @1meter to really be able to compare lights.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I am about to release a light that should fit the bill for what you are looking for. The head is only 1 1/4" and it has very good throw. In fact at that size range nothing on the market will beat it. Keep in mind that the lumen output of the light is not the major factor when it comes to throw. A lot of companies are using the larger die LEDs because they put out a lot of light and therefore it helps the marketing side of things to be able to say XXXX amount of lumens. They are playing off the lack of knowledge of most consumers who think more lumens= more throw. This is the wrong spec to be looking at when comparing throwers. You need to know the cp or lux @1meter to really be able to compare lights.

Is this the E-Lucid-8 light that is about to be released. If so, can you give us a hint when this light will be available?

Last edited:

looman

Enlightened

I think thrunight catapault is available with a thrower head and a 25mm body tube.

looman

Enlightened

Looking at the WOlf for hunters, they are saying a 1000 lumen light is designed for 100m throw. !!!!!!!!! My Jetbeam RRT-1 Raptor will do longer than that and that is a 250 R2!!!!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the E-Lucid-8 light that is about to be released. If so, can you give us a hint when this light will be available?

No the E-Lucid-8 is a flood light. The one I am referring to is a new member to the DEFT family of throw lights. A lot of people, while loving the throw afforded by the original DEFT, wanted something more pocketable. So I am doing for small lights what I did in the larger throw category. Namely upping the game and creating a light that, for its size, cannot be beat by designing not based on the latest LED fads and marketability but by "right sizing" and matching components properly. The first public viewing will be for those showing up at next week's GTG in the DFW area.

seven11

Newly Enlightened

Hey saabluster, are you going to sell this new light to Elusive Wildlife and make a ton of money? ;)

looman

Enlightened
No the E-Lucid-8 is a flood light. The one I am referring to is a new member to the DEFT family of throw lights. A lot of people, while loving the throw afforded by the original DEFT, wanted something more pocketable. So I am doing for small lights what I did in the larger throw category. Namely upping the game and creating a light that, for its size, cannot be beat by designing not based on the latest LED fads and marketability but by "right sizing" and matching components properly. The first public viewing will be for those showing up at next week's GTG in the DFW area.

Please let me have details, lead times and costs/options Michael.

My DEFT has been excellent.

Any DEFT non users - you are missing out. I thoroughly recommend Mikes work and it does more than it says on the tin. This man is a maestro at getting tiny LED's (by todays standards) go very long and stay strong.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I was just wondering what the best thrower is? I've researched the Olight sr90, 91 and New Fenix tk70. The tk70 is an awesome light, great tint and seems like enough throw. but how does the sr91 compare? Read that it and the 90 are basically the same, except smaller.

IMO the 90 and TK70 are too big for when I'm ready to buy a big time thrower. What other options are out there like the Sr91, preferably in the 1500+lm range? I keep reading on Malkoff dropins and don't fully understand them and haven't seen much on beams or lux readings. (sr90 is like 200+k lux on high, insane...just don't care for the tint and size...a more warm tint would be nice but it's not mandatory as I would still get a sr91 for the smaller size and about equal light/throw) and preferably not more than $300

Check out Peak LEDs larger thrower lights. They have some that put out about 1500 lumens and I think are within your price range. Bodies are cool because they have various battery configurations available.
http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/SANDR.html

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I am vaguely familiar with DEFT, does that automatically mean aspheric?

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
Please let me have details, lead times and costs/options Michael.

My DEFT has been excellent.

Any DEFT non users - you are missing out. I thoroughly recommend Mikes work and it does more than it says on the tin. This man is a maestro at getting tiny LED's (by todays standards) go very long and stay strong.

I missed out on the previous Deft, but I am on the contact list when the new Deft is available. Looks like we won't have to wait much longer. A more compact Deft model sounds great.

Last edited: