ThruNite P60 XML dropin any good?

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys I have had a Surefire G2 Nitrolon for a long time and it's time to upgrade the drop in I'm leaning towards the ThruNite XML drop in the single mode version does anyone have any personal experience with this drop in? What I really want to know is if this is the best option for the price or should I look at another drop in?

OneBigDay

Enlightened
I just took some beamshots of this dropin along with some other lights earlier this week. I haven't posted the total results of that yet but will do so soon. In the meantime here is a preview. From where the lights are mounted to the very end where the canopy of trees goes out of sight is about 425 feet.

This is a comparison of 3 currently available XM-L T6 P60 dropins. The Kai Domain dropin is budget, runs in a wider voltage range, but has the least output of the 3. The Nailbender 3.1Amp XM-L dropin gives the most output but runs at twice the amperage of the Thrunite. The sweet spot in this bunch is the Thrunight - slightly less output than Nailbenders XM-L, but I expect greater runtime (unverified), less heat, and 85% of the output of a harder driven XM-L. EDIT: animated gifs not supported by imageshack for free anymore, so you'll have to settle for single photo of the thrunight instead of slideshow

Admittedly I don't have a lot of runtime on this so take my advice with a grain of salt, but from sheer output while only being driven modestly I am impressed with the Thrunite. I had to send my first one back because the emitter was way off to one side producing a lopsided beam, but the replacement is fine. Mine is a 3 mode single cell version and I'd say is the best overall value of the bunch.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
wow thanks that pic def helps now if someone could just post a comparison pic of this ThruNite XM-L and the ThruNite XP-G R5 my choice would be even easier lol

Also could someone identify this one? Who is the manufacturer?.....Cree XM-L T6 on DX

See I am looking for one with a smooth reflector so as to make a more spot/thrower instead of a flood. I am not totally opposed to the OP but I would prefer the smooth one.

Update--Or not on the deal extreme one it seems to me that with a maximum of 4.2v input if i ran this option on my G2 with two CR123a's it would burn up the light is this correct?

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I think you need to make sure the G2 has a metal head to run an XM-L dropin for any length of time on high. There is a lot of heat to dissipate.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys I have had a Surefire G2 Nitrolon for a long time and it's time to upgrade the drop in I'm leaning towards the ThruNite XML drop in the single mode version does anyone have any personal experience with this drop in? What I really want to know is if this is the best option for the price or should I look at another drop in?
]

This is far from the ideal drop in module to put into a plastic body. this has been covered in the past many times. You don't have much thermal transfer through the plastic body. A metal bezel will only add a little more help since the module is still inside the plastic sleeve. You don't really want to go over 5 watts with something that you would actually use for more than 30 seconds at a time. this is at least a 7 watt module. It may run for a while on a cool night or actually be good in the dead of winter if you live somewhere that gets cold, but not on a warm summer night in plastic. It won't last long.

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
I am aware of the plastic body and heat issues with this drop in I already pulled the trigger so I guess if I have a problem which i dont see happening because I hardly ever have my lights on full tilt for more than about 5-7 seconds.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite XM-L single mode drop in I have only pulls about 1 amp with a fresh (but not straight off the charger) 18650 li-ion.

It gets slightly warm in a metal bezel light, but not bad. I've used a SolarForce XR-E R2 in my Surefire G2 for a long time before changing over to an R5.

You'll probably be all right so long as you keep tabs on the temperature of the bezel and don't let it get too hot.

The G2 Nitrolon head WILL transfer heat, because I've used it with an incan Lumens-Factory HO 4volt drop in, and after several minutes the head was getting almost unbearably hot to hold (uncomfortable anyway). So you should be able to feel if the drop in is getting too warm.

In my humble opinion, I think the heat transfer issue in the G2 is overblown a bit, so long as you know what you're doing and keep track of the temperature. You wouldn't want to just tailstand it and leave it running for an hour.

Like I said I've used an XR-E before in the G2 without issue so it works for me anyway. :shrug:

By the time you get any noticable heat-induced degredation of the led, you'll probably be ready for an upgrade anyway!

Edited to add: The above refers to running with a single Li-ion, so it may very well be a different situation running off 2 primary lithiums (6volts)

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS: You guys with Thrunite XM-L dropins running a single Li-ion (4.2volts), can you please take a current reading with the light running at full power with a fresh battery? I don't think these run at the advertised spec. Or at least mine doesn't anyway.

Mine reads about 1 amp measured across the body tail to the negative end of the battery (no tailcap).

Last edited:

grandeson

Newly Enlightened
So if I have a G2Z, what would you recommend as far as pushing the limits for top drop in? I already have an R2 from DX, and was looking maybe for a little more spill, but still with good throw. So any recommendations as to whats a good way to go would be appreciated. I usually have the light on for less than a minute at a time, but at times it does stay on for a few minutes.

Maybe a little more help here too. Are all R2's the same, meaning is there higher quality ones than the one from DX? If so, where do you guys recommend to buy? and finally, can i introduce a multi mode drop in to my light? If so, is it multi click to option through the outputs?
THANKS GUYS!!

lebox97

Enlightened
spec is 1.5a to the LED,
not from the battery/tail cap.

unlike an incandescent or other direct driven light - the circuit reduces the voltage and increases the current to the LED...
unless you are the builder - it is extremely difficult to accurately measure or know what the LED drive current is. :thinking:

You can compare product against other lights of similar lumen output.
But even that can be difficult unless you have a integrating sphere to measure total output - not just center spot "brightness" that many people like to use.

Tod

PS: You guys with Thrunite XM-L dropins running a single Li-ion (4.2volts), can you please take a current reading with the light running at full power with a fresh battery? I don't think these run at the advertised spec. Or at least mine doesn't anyway.

Mine reads about 1 amp measured across the body tail to the negative end of the battery (no tailcap).

OneBigDay

Enlightened

I checked two cells...

I measure about 1.25 amps with a run down AW IMR 18650 cell (3.70v). On a mostly charged (4.09v) AW 2600 I pull between 1.35 and 1.5 amps.

It's hard to get good contact when measuring this because the cell rides pretty far down in the tube on my light. The meter jumps around a bit.

yowzer

Enlightened
Are all R2's the same, meaning is there higher quality ones than the one from DX?

No, they're not all the same. Quality of different brands of dropins aside (And most will be better than what DX has), R2 is an output bin classification used by Cree, not a type of LED. XR-E, XP-E and XP-G all come in R2 bins. Seeing an unqualified R2 in marketing for a light or dropin is really annoying.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have the higher voltage model. It pulls .85 amps at the tailcap with 2 X RCR123.

grandeson

Newly Enlightened
thanks yowzer, if you can send me a link or an idea where, in laymans terms, there is info that explains the LED info, ie xr-e, xp-e, r2, r5 differences, thay would be great. Its just is all confusing to me. Thanks

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
thanks yowzer, if you can send me a link or an idea where, in laymans terms, there is info that explains the LED info, ie xr-e, xp-e, r2, r5 differences, thay would be great. Its just is all confusing to me. Thanks

I found this post helpful. Cheers!

mark43

Newly Enlightened
OneBigDay, do you happen to have the runtime for this drop-in at its various settings? Also, how does performance of the single-cell version differ from the two-cell version? What do you need to do it use the single cell drop-in in a Surefire 6P?

OneBigDay

Enlightened
mark43 - sorry but I haven't done any run time tests. I am using my lights for short bursts and run time is pretty far down on my list of considerations. On a multi mode light like this, I figure between low and med the run time is basically forever on a fully charged 18650. Of course others may have different needs or POV.

With a 1.5v dropin and a freshly charged 2600-2900mAh 18650, you could theoretically get more than 1 1/2 hours run time on high (without considering any inefficiencies).

You might try posting in the Marketplace to try and get these answers if you are on the fence over run time. Thrunite has thier own subforum and as far as I can tell they tend to answer whatever inquiries they can.

Last edited:

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
I have a few questions about the Thrunite Xm-L 1 Mode 3-9V dropin:

- can two primary CR 123s handle the current draw of the dropin ? Is it safe?

- will it reach its full potential lumenwise?

- whar runtime can be expected?

thanks!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes it is safe and 2 x cr123 work fine in the high voltage model. It draws the same amperage as the R5 model.

Too expensive to test runtime with primaries. Send me a pair and I'll try it! LOL.

I run mine on 2 x aw rcr123. I wouldn't run it all the way down because I don't want to risk toasting the emitter. I never run P60's on max for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Last edited: