Should I review the updated magicshine / bastid battery pack?

find_bruce

Newly Enlightened
I bought a magicshine / bastid bike light with an updated battery back that appears to be better designed & possibly even rainproof. I am one of those people that pulls new stuff apart to see how it works & this was no exception

Candlepower forums contained lots of useful information that helped me before I made the decision to buy a new bike light and thought I would repay the favour by posting a review of the updated battery back - complete with pics and the couple of things that I learnt in doing so - like how to reassemble the o-rings.

If so on should I post it here, on the Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included forum or some other forum ?

The battery pack appears to be known as mj-828 http://www.headlamp.cn/productsShow.asp?id=340. It is not listed separetly on DX but there are a rew listed on ebay.

What I bought was http://www.dealextreme.com/p/44459

The same battery pack is used in http://www.dealextreme.com/p/44676 but the extra $20 did not seem worth it to me.

I don't want to duplicate things that have been done already so I:
  • am not planning to reiew the light itself - its strengths & weaknesses are well known & I have nothing new to say.
  • have searched the forums & while it gets a few mentions, I have not seen any detailed deconstruction or photos
Look forward to hearing your comments

Cheers

Bruce

financeguy

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am interested to hear your review on this.
I recently did some research and found out that geomangear has two different batteries available for the magicshine 900 p7 MJ-808.

One battery is their own 4.5Ah and another they offer is a german made 5.8Ah.
The other battery i have found is the one that you have with display.

I am curious to learn more about these new batteries being offered with the MS900.

Regards,

Financeguy

rick oz

Newly Enlightened
I would also be interested to get a review on these new battery packs.

I'm still using 3 original style packs and would like to know the 'ins and outs' of this new pack. My packs have been working fine for 2 years plus, but after reading all the issues on cpf and mtbr i always wonder if (when) mine will die.

Not sure which forum would be best, though i know the people who will be using the packs would more likely look in this forum.

Rick.

find_bruce

Newly Enlightened
See Review & dissection of magicshine battery mj-828

Executive summary

Nice new battery case, might even be water resistant.

Same old battery inside

Note this is the deal extreme case, NOT the replacement battery from geoman or various other sellers.

I'm still using 3 original style packs and would like to know the 'ins and outs' of this new pack. My packs have been working fine for 2 years plus, but after reading all the issues on cpf and mtbr i always wonder if (when) mine will die.

Hi Rick, sounds like you won the chinese lottery & have got good life out of your batteries. It seems the issues are shoft shorts (a manufacturing defect), overcharging, overdischarging or getting the batteries wet.

It is a case of when, because the lifespan of lithium batteries is only about 3-5 years, even if they are just sitting on the shelf.

rick oz

Newly Enlightened
Great to read the review, and yes i do believe i won the lottery when it comes to these batteries!

When i got my batteries i 'pasti-dipped' the packs. Which made sure i didn't get any problems from water, so it was really just up to the quality of the cells after that and from all accounts i'm very lucky. I also have two different model chargers that both charge to 8.35 every time and i never leave on charge after the light changes.

I know that no matter how good your battery is to start with, if you don't look after it you can't expect it to last.