Default Re: Pocket Rocket - 8th run XM-L

Download

Check your Paypal

Thanks lamuddog,
    Tracking no. will be followed.

Quote Originally Posted by download View Post
    45/70, it is linear current regulator, battery voltage is higher than led voltage-In that will maintain the current. It depends the battery performance. In most case high capacity will be better.
    Thanks down. I knew that. I guess what I really wanted to know is what the Vf of the XM-L emitter is. Of course, you wouldn't know that unless you tested each one, since Cree doesn't do Vf binning.

I'll see how she goes, and look into the Samsung 4.30-4.35 Volt cells, if performance seems to be lacking. The "nominal" voltage of these cells approaches a level 0.1 Volt higher than most cells. That and high capacity should help keep the Pocket Rocket in regulation a bit longer anyway.

Dave

nice score lamuddog

PP sent for the balance on my lil' light as well

PayPal sent for 2nd payment for full balance
    • 1 HAIII Aluminum XM-L T6-3B (5300K-5000), GITD tailcap
    • 1 HAIII Aluminum XM-L T5-4A (4750K-4500K), GITD tailcap

Flashaholic

Paypal sent for balance.

Thanks

Is it time to send in the balance of the payment? I though we were supposed to receive notification by PM or email when it was time. I just noticed a bunch of the HAIII guys like me already shipped. Did I miss it?

Please wait a few more days, I will PM or email you once it is ready to ship.
    Thanks!

Just checking, thanks.

Ooo Re: Pocket Rocket - 8th run XM-L

Received my Pocket Rocket Yesterday.. Wow that was fast.. Either way took this baby out and loaded her up with a fresh AW 18650. Here's some pictures for those of you waiting. No I'm not the best photographer but you get the picture... ENJOY

whizdumb-

How's the glowy ring in the head look? I didn't even realize it was there till your pics.
    I seem to have misplaced my occipital lobe, and as such cannot search for it. Do you see my dilemma?

Hey Brembro, Honestly it's really nice.. One of the better I have seen.. I've included a photo of it in action.. Once again not the best of photographs but it serves it purpose.. this was after maybe 20 seconds of runtime on high and then 10 seconds of downtime.

Almost all the light in this photo is provided by the glow ring..
    Last edited by whizdumb; 07-07-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Can I still get in on this? I see the pics I want (and beamshots!) so...is it too late?
    4Sevens: AA Tactical, AA^2 Turbo-X, MMU-X, MMU-X3.
    Dark Sucks: Alpha XM18-T. Download's Pocket Rocket, v8.

whizdumb, your black version XM-L is rare bird.

KVoimakas, not too late, will make a few more.

Pm sent.

Mine came in and it is a precision piece. Very well made. The glow ring is cool.
    Thanks Download.

Quote Originally Posted by download View Post
    whizdumb, your black version XM-L is rare bird.
    I know, I'm gunna baby this light due to it's rarity..

Just a few more remarks about this light:

1. Weight. This flashlight is not only very light but it's very well balanced.

2. Nasc is right... it's precision in every way. Thread action is smooth, battery fit is excellent, LED centering is spot on, even the reverse clicky is a solid piece (reminds me of my JET III Pro ST clicky). The annodization is superior quality and very evenly finished with no flaws.

3. This thing is bright. The beamshot above doesn't really do it justice. You'll haveta see it for yourself.

4. I didn't realize that this light had a second group built in to the driver until I was playing around with the light and noticed the flash in low mode.. The second group is nice to have there and yet very well hidden in the modes. The strobe and quick flashing beacon are very nice options to know you have around.. The strobe itself is awesome it's the second best I've seen next to my Olight M20s. I'm rather glad to see that SOS is not an included option because that would be a rather useless setting.

5. The Glow ring is definitely one of the better I've seen. Some glow rings look powdery or cracked on other lights. This one is smooth and high quality. Not to mention good at it's job.

6. Lastly is Download himself. He's a very helpful guy and you can tell that he enjoys not only making these lights for us but also wants to see his customers happy. He always gets back to me within 24 hours and is very professional and nice in his correspondence. He's a top notch custom maker and great guy to boot. If you are on the fence about buying one of his lights. I'll tell you now its totally worth it.

Cheers Download and Thanks Again for this Rare Bird. I really hope this mini review helps somebody that may still be deciding.
    Whizdumb
    Last edited by whizdumb; 07-08-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Money sent. On phone so no transaction ID.

I love teh black w/ the silver bezel. That contrast has always appealed to me. Didn't know there was a glow ring, was that an added option that had to be requested ? Can't wait til mine arrives (even though it isn't black :P)

A package arrive in the mail yesterday

Tried the titanium PR-8 last night for about an hour (my normal dog walking time). Beautiful beam without a defined hotspot, floody but with good throw. Very much like my McGizmo Haiku, a wonderfully useful beam.

Really did not care for the full polish finish, and had asked about a bead blast finish early on but none was available. So I machined a pair of press fit Delrin end caps that would "mask off" each end & placed the PR-8 into the blast cabinet. Titanium sparks look so awesome when the high pressure glass beads hit the surface - pure white and rather short.

Here's the result:

Surefire boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, Titanium Light boring & modding * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

The bead blast is wild. I did a triple take on that photo - It wasn't shiny titanium and it wasn't HA. Looks like a hybrid.

I know for me the smooth finish of the Ti with almost no knurling is one of the selling points. Less aggressive or non tactical designs are harder to find IMO. Don't get me wrong there is a place for super grippy (like my FM hosts), but I like the PR because it dares to be different and is much more practical to put in a bag or pocket without tearing the pocket to shreds. A properly designed (heavy duty) clip would be welcome on this but it works for me without it, again adds to the smooth simple appearance. Stealth and simply stated.

I just picked this up from the post office this morning so it is daylight but I can see next to the SST-50 Pocket Rocket the XM-L is definitely brighter. I hope to do some beamshots in the coming days if possible. I am dying to see this next to the SC600.

Nice job download!
    Last edited by OneBigDay; 07-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.

the smooth finish of the Ti with almost no knurling is one of the selling points.
    +1

Smooth lights are great to put into a pocket - easy to slip in & quick to pull out. For me, the cylindrical shape of the PR8 was too slippery, and bead blast adds just enough texture (on a micro level) to make it easy to grip.

It wasn't shiny titanium and it wasn't HA. Looks like a hybrid.
    Titanium takes on a different appearance if it's polished bright, or hand rubbed semi bright (which I did on both ends after the bead blast). The blasted surface has a character all its own. One advantage to the bead blast finish is the ease of repair if the light is ever scratched or scraped - re-mask the ends & run the light through the cabinet one more time. It's about as low in maintenance as is possible.
    Surefire boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, Titanium Light boring & modding * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

whizdumb, thanks a lot!

precisionworks, it looks gorgeous to me.

Please wait a few more days.

precisionworks, it looks gorgeous to me.
    Thank you very much

The PR8 has gone with me every night since it got here. About one hour of run time every night, mostly on low, sometimes on Tactical High. The light is so bright that when it's shined straight up moths & bugs are attracted to it, and bats come in for a feeding frenzy. The beam is wide enough that the bats are easily seen on both approach & exit.

Will make a dandy home intrusion light is someone wants to use it for that purpose. Absolutely love the beam profile, one of the best I've seen among the many lights I've owned.

Download

The light came in today, that was fast.
    It looks great.

Thanks
    Roy

Received my Ti Pocket Rocket Friday. I haven't been able to play...er, um "Test" it out a whole lot, but I'll say one thing, it sure is a beauty!

One question I have, when used at the maximum level, and the battery cell can no longer supply enough current, should the light just fade out slowly for a few seconds until the output is zero, and then slowly sorta pulse up and down repeatedly? I only have one other current regulated light (a Legion II) and it gives a blinking warning that the battery is going out, and I've never actually run it down any farther than the warning. Of course, when this happens with the Rocket, the two lower levels will still work OK. And also, no, I'm not running the light for five minutes at a time on the highest level, more like 30 seconds at a time, then letting it cool down. As hot as it gets, and being made out of titanium, I don't think it'd be too good for the XM-L, or the electronics to run it much longer than that, IMO.

I checked the cells, when this starts to happen, on my CBA. At this point they will only hold ~3.6 Volts under a 3 Amp load. Does this voltage/load combination sound about right for when the Rocket would no longer operate at the highest level?

I hope it's OK, I really like the light! There's no doubt however, that I need to get some better cells, the ones I have are old AW 2200mAh cells. I tried some newer TrustFire 2500's, and they crap out even sooner. That really comes as no surprise though.

Anyway, I hope download or one of you other guys can give an opinion on this. I hope it is just the cells and not the light, because I really like it!

Dave

Dave, this is low voltage warning signal.
    Only the driver have Memory with this function.
    And it is very sensitive when the battery run lower than 3.0V, it will happen.
    Especially the battery are under heavy load, voltage will drop a lot!
    Higher capacity battery would help a little.

Thanks all!

Got it. Thanks down.

I was hoping that it was something like that. I was figuring that it would be pulling about 3A, but apparently it's quite a bit more than that. As I mentioned a while back, I'll just have to get some new cells just for the Pocket Rocket. Hey, it's definitely worth it! I really like this light! Did I say that already?

Dave

mine arrived today. It is better than I expected. Thanks again for contributing your time and considerable talent to our community download !!!!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast