Ready Red Flash lights

eda

Newly Enlightened
I have been seeking flashlights with red LEDs and which can take rechargeable batteries, but not found any. Do they exist? Head mounted ones would also be an option. Red-orange or amber would also be of interest to me.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I have a winchester headlight that runs on AAA batteries and can go red.

I also have a 4Sevens RGB which can turn red, and I have li-ion rechargable 123's for it.

I think gerber makes a headlight that can go red

I think surefire makes an aviator that can turn red.

I'm sure there are plenty of others :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm not sure if Peak are still making semi-custom lights? At one point you could specify the color and number of 5mm LEDs for the flashlight head, as well as the type of battery tube body (1xAAA, 2xAAA, AA, CR123, etc), and they would build it. The circuitry was designed to work with either primaries or a wide variety of rechargeable chemistries, such as NiMH or Li-Ion.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I got a red drop-in from DealExtreme and put it in a Solarforce L2P. It will take rechargeables and the whole thing only cost like $30. The Strobe and SOS "features" are annoying as hell and cannot be skipped when changing levels, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, eda. The Photon Proton Pro is another to consider. It does fine using a rechargeable AA battery.

Geoff

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Look for the Sniper Hawg Lights Destroyer or Mini-Sniper (color LEDs) or the EWT XLR 250 or XLR 100.

red_hackle

Enlightened
You can get the KL3 head from Surefire with a red LED! Surefire fan boy that I am even I, however, have to admit that brightness and beam profile are rather sub-standard... too focused for close-up work and not bright enough for any decent throw. :(

Last edited:

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Some use a zoomable 5W Q5 led headlamp (18650 battery type), and place an amber dj gel transparency paper underneath the lens.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the idea of getting a Peak LED light, I have an Eiger with a red Rebel LED, great build quality.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it have to be a red LED? Have you considered using a red or amber lens instead?
This might give you what you are seeking while at the same time providing the flexibility to change colors or even revert to a standard output when needed.

There are various examples of colored lenses available. A good option might be a Solarforce or other 6P type host with one of their red lenses.

http://www.itc-shop.net/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=27&id=143

Using the same host you could also have the option of amber, blue or green as well.

http://www.itc-shop.net/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=27&id=68

Fenix offers a red filter for certain TK models and others, available from Lighthound:

http://www.lighthound.com/Fenix-Red-Filter-for-TK-models--TK10-TK11-and-TK20_p_2989.html

Anyway, just an alternative suggestion to consider.

Last edited: