(SOLD OUT) Dark Sucks Run #1 (1x18650, MCE, 2.8A, McClicky, 500 lumens)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Current: Run #2 is here.

Hey CPF members!

I'm excited to announce that my first official production run is now for sale.

If you haven't seen my blog there's lots of background info: www.darksucks.com

I've made a few small changes from the pre-production models. Nothing big, just some tweaks. Here is more info and detailed photos from my blog.
  • My new maker's mark
  • McClicky switch
  • Provision for a custom titanium pocket clip
  • XML T6 upgrade option (same lumens, more throw)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Father's Day Special!: FREE TITANIUM POCKET CLIP
Valid until June 19th.

Just order from my site and add the clip to your cart for a dollar (with any light) and that's it! www.darksucks.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clip-on-light.jpg
mark.jpg
DSC01108.jpg

I have some preliminary figures from my new integrating sphere. I'm reporting based on the ANSI FL1 standards. I haven't (yet) followed them perfectly but I'm reasonably confident these figures are accurate.

Cree MCE (MC18-B)
MCE-small.jpg
MCE-BOOM-ANSI.jpg

Cree XML (XM18-B)
XML-small.jpg
XML-BOOM-ANSI.jpg
glowring.jpg
"glow ring" option with XML (does not affect output or beam profile)

Cree XPG High CRI (93+) (XP18-B)
XPG-small.jpg
XPG-BOOM-ANSI.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS: (all styles are mechanically identical)

This light is designed for a single 18650. They will run on 2xCR123's but the 123's are smaller in diameter and will rattle. They WILL NOT run on 2xRCR123's...the driver can't handle this voltage.

MCE/XML Driver: Shiningbeam 2.8A CC (3 mode)(2.8V-6V)(100%=2.8A,30%=1A,5%=.14A)
XPG Driver: Shiningbeam 1.4A CC (3 mode)(2.8V-6V)(100%=1.4A,30%=.44A,5%=.06A)
Reflector: Ledil Boom SS (Smooth Spot, FWHM 10°)
Window: UCL glass 2 side AR coated
MCE Run time: 1.5 hours on high (measured)(XML & XPG not tested yet)
Switch: McClicky
Wire: 24 AWG Mil-spec, stranded copper, silver plated, teflon coated
Solder: silver solder
Body: 6061 T6 aluminum
Coating: Electroless Nickel
Driver Mounting Post: C101 oxy-free electronic copper
O-rings: Nitrile (Buna-N) 70 durometer (lights are fully o-ringed and TESTED to 300 feet for 5 hours)
Lube: Nano-Oil on threads and O-rings
Overall dimensions: Head Diameter=1.2 / Body Diameter=1 / Length=5.75

I'm going to keep this thread short, if you want to see the original sales thread, click here. This has more background info.

Better add some beamshots! This is an animated GIF so...wait for it.

XML-comparison.gif

Size comparison:

size-comp.jpg

Okay, I'll stop stalling: Here is the sales part!

PRICE: $199.00 USD (light ONLY)
PRICE: $229.00 USD (light + battery + charger)

Style: Blasted + Polished

Style: Full Tumbled

Style: Full Brushed

Style: Tumbled + Polished

HOW THIS WORKS:

So I'm selling these lights on my website and managing sales here and on the site is getting really confusing.

Please order directly from my site!

If you want to get your light as fast as possible, post an "I'll take it" on this thread with the following info and I'll get started building it immediately. Otherwise I won't start till I get your order through paypal.
  1. Finish Style (tumbled+polished, blasted+polished, full tumble, full brush)
  2. LED choice (MCE, XML, XPG High CRI)
  3. Button color (Black or orange...GITD green is OUT OF STOCK)
>>>I'm now selling AW 2900mAh 18650's. Price is $19.50 (if you don't get the package deal). I know this is a little more than other places but I don't buy a large volume. If you are buying a light though, you'll save the difference in the shipping cost :)

>>>I also have Xtar MP1 single bay chargers for sale. They come standard with the wall adapter. Let me know if you would like one.

These are $15.00 for CPF members.

I'll be selling them for $20.00 to the general public. Don't tell them.

Xtar_buynow.jpg

Last edited:

cw_mi

Enlightened
Re: Dark Sucks Production Run #1 Available Now (1x18650, MCE, 2.8A, McClicky, 500 lum

Glad to see you sold all the pre production models and have done a few upgrades. For anyone considering this light, just do it. It's a great light and now with the McClicky and clip it makes it even better.

Hwy115

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dark Sucks Production Run #1 Available Now (1x18650, MCE, 2.8A, McClicky, 500 lum

Great Light! He delivers what he promises. Good Luck Jason, you have a loyal customer in me.
Thanks,
Steve

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

You will be happy with this light. Jason does some nice work.

Shurock

Newly Enlightened

I love mine.

Great detail on this light. The ti clip is very handsome. Fit and finish on the whole package is top notch.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hey guys, thanks for the support! I really appreciate it. For a long time my goal has been to make things that I care about, and what makes this worth doing, is that you guys appreciate the quality of my work. I know it's tough to fork out a substantial amount of money on the "new guy" but your pioneering spirit is helping me keep this thing afloat.

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened

Absolutely get this light. The attention to detail and the way the light handles is beautiful.

I emailed you some questions.

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened

Moved here at Greta's suggestion:

I recently posted a tentative warranty policy for my lights on my blog: link

I'd love to get some feedback from members on what sounds reasonable, what doesn't, and/or what else you'd like to see.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Art

Enlightened

It really looks like awesome work you done there.
Im a sucker for small powerful lights and this one got my attention but it seems strange to me you are only getting 500lumens with the XM L at 2.8A ?
I own a XM-L T6 1x18650 flashlight driven at 2,8A too and it "looks" a lot over 500lumens compared to other lights.

How is the heat at high after 5mins?

Regards,

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hi Artur, thanks for your question. 500 lumens is what the sphere says and that's also at 30 seconds, not turn-on. The reflector is optimized for the MCE, not the XML, so I expect it's not as efficient as it could be. However, it does have significantly higher lux than the MCE. The difference in throw is obvious to the naked eye, but it's still not a huge difference. I think a bigger head/reflector would result in a lot more OTF lumens, but this reflector (22mm diameter) is pretty small.

On that note, right now I'm carrying the XML and just fired it up for 5 minutes and held it in my hand. @ 2.8A it gets friggin' hot after 5 minutes. It's still comfortable after 3 min. This is room temp and no moving air. I in Utah a few weeks ago on a camping trip. Running it at night in 45F temps was a lot more comfortable :) Medium is still 180 lumens. Honestly I use this level the most.

As far as the apparent brightness you mention, are the lights you are comparing tested in a sphere? I'm just asking because my 100 lumen Surefire E1B smokes the pants off other lights that claim to be more powerful. Just wondering if you are comparing "apples" to "apples." :) Like I said though, there is no way this is going to match an XML light with a much larger head/reflector.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Oh also, if anyone can point out some XML-based, sphere tested, lights with just over 1" head diameter for comparison that would be useful. I'd like to get more lumens out of it but the size and available materials are a significant restriction.

The coolest thing about the LED/reflector combo is the "glow-ring" option!

glowring.jpg

Last edited:

Art

Enlightened

Hi,

that GITD ring looks great :D

About the lumens , I only own a lux meter , Im just comparing for example my Eagletac M2C4 that seems to be over 650lumens tested, to my small 1x18650 XM-L at 2.8A.
I can not argue lumen values , is just that this new XM-L leds to my eye seem to "kill" everything from MC-E , P7 or even a SST50 in lumens and throw.
Was expecting more lumens then the old MC-E thats is why I asked ;)

Do you have or will you do a runtime chart? The 7135s drop a little at the start but then keep regulated for a long time , but I would like to know how it looks like.
My XM-L light starts to drop in power after more less 5mins on high without cooling... If I use it in my hand after 5mins its comfortable to hold at the back of it or the body but the head its too hot to touch.

Will you make another reflector just for the XM-L ?

Regards,

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hey Artur,

I was expecting more output from the XML as well ;) I have some larger reflectors on order and I'll make up some prototypes just to see what I can get in the lumen department. Turns out the MCE is still a pretty good LED in my opinion! Anyway, what do you mean by run time chart...current or lumens? I don't really have the ability to plot current but I'm working on some charts for lumen output over 3 minutes. There is a significant drop from 0 to 30 seconds but it's a slow decline after that. I get about 550 lumens at turn on, 500 at 30 seconds and about 480 after 3 minutes with the MCE.

If I could find a suitable reflector for the XML I'd buy it, but I don't have enough sales to have anything made. I have an McR20 that I can try out. It's about the same size as the Ledil Boom. I wish Ledil would make a reflector for the XML. If you are interested in a TIR version I could work something out with you. I have a few optics on hand. That should be around 600 lumens (XML) but there isn't that much spill. lux is 7200 @ 1m.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Moved this to a new thread to keep it from getting too confusing. I'd love your feedback on a new prototype head. Please comment on the linked thread and keep this one related to current sales. Thanks!

B4.jpg

Last edited:

jimtesla

Newly Enlightened

i want one of your lights this new design looks great

but i want one of the gitd switches when will they be back in stock

could you also make a blue led option for a seperate flashlite

need one for my trailer project

got the gitd tail switch and im there

thanks

jim

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened

I like the looks of that head. Maybe on the next one I get.

archer6817j

Enlightened

This month is going S-L-O-W ! All of your fathers are going to be very disappointed they are not receiving a custom light this year :D

Seriously though:

1. 1x18650 or 2xCR123
  2. 3 mode
  3. 1.5 hours run time on high (w/2600mah AW)
  4. 500 lumens OTF
  5. TESTED to 100m for 5 hours (that's in water)
  6. Ti clip for $1.00 (one dollar!) (no screws, no tools required)
  7. McClicky
  8. Nickel Plate

Looks good on paper, what is the magic that I am missing? That certain, "I don't know what" as Austin Powers says. Throw me a bone here and let me know what I can do to turn YOU into a satisfied customer! :wave:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened

Hey Jason,

Just a couple questions:

1. Will you be offering in neutral XML? If not, how hard would it be to do an emitter swap?

2. Does the titanium clip fit any other light?

3. How durable is the nickel plating?

4. Any plans for 1x123?

5. What are the exact dimensions?

Thanks!

mike

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi,

I can get some neutrals in stock if other people are interested in that. The LEDs I'm using are 5700k which is a pretty good compromise. I realize most folks go with 6500 for max output or 4500 for tint. Maybe I should do that?

The clip will not fit any other lights that I'm aware of. I designed it specifically for this application.

The nickel finish is 48-50RC which is "roughly" equivalent to type II anodize. As with anodizing, the underlying material is soft so it will still nick and dent, but it's very resistant to scratching. My CNC tool holders are nickel plated and so are many hand guns.

Would you be interested in a 1x123 that was the same size but shorter? No plans for that but if there is demand I'll consider it :)

Dimensions are 1.2" diameter head. 1" diameter body. 5.75" overall length. Complete specs can be found here: http://darksucks.com/store_alpha2.html

Last edited: