• Pick up a PD30

6 33.33%
  • Wait and hope for a 2 lumen PD30

1 5.56%

Thread: Fenix PD30 vs PD31

Default Fenix PD30 vs PD31

257 vs 304 lumens highest
    10 vs 2 lumens lowest

I'm looking for a CR123 light, and I've read good stuff about 18650 batteries.
    I was thinking I could use rechargeable 18650 which should save me money, then if I'm in a pinch I have the option of CR123.
    It's true I was born here, but this country isn't mine.

Default Re: Fenix PD30 vs PD31

PD30 doesn't fit 18650.

PD31 has a smooth reflector that causes ringy beam profile.

Enlightened

Just got the PD31. It is a nice light and has nicely spaced modes. Of course it has a reverse clicky if that matters to you and no momentary since it will change modes. Get them when you can as they only made 4000 of them.

Rumor has it Fenix is doing another release with a black clip.

Quote Originally Posted by enomosiki View Post
    PD30 doesn't fit 18650.

PD31 has a smooth reflector that causes ringy beam profile.
    I know, I just threw it in because it's pretty much the same flashlight. Concerned more about CR123.

I think they have released a newer version. Check the PD31 Spotted thread.

double

Unless you just absolutely have to use 18650 get the PD30 XPG, the PD31 beam is very ringy like old school XR-E smooth reflector type of ringy. The PD30 has such good runtimes I rarely have to change battery's, I bought the PD31 thinking it would surely take the place of my PD30 but the PD31 is really not that brighter that I can tell plus the ringy beam.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    Unless you just absolutely have to use 18650 get the PD30 XPG, the PD31 beam is very ringy like old school XR-E smooth reflector type of ringy. The PD30 has such good runtimes I rarely have to change battery's, I bought the PD31 thinking it would surely take the place of my PD30 but the PD31 is really not that brighter that I can tell plus the ringy beam.
    Thanks for the info. I would have jumped on a PD30 already if it didn't have a low of 10 lumens..
    Maybe I can wait and see if they fixed the ring problem on the new PD31.

The only way it will be fixed is either with a better textured reflector or an XM-L model, my PD30 R4 has the lowest output of any of my PD30's, not it's not .2 lumen but it's fairly low.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Loving my PD30.

265 lumens is plenty for my needs, but the 10 lumens might be a bit much for some situations. A lower Low setting would've been nice, but definitely not a deal breaker.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PCS View Post
    Rumor has it Fenix is doing another release with a black clip.
    Sorry to revive this somewhat older post but I was wondering if Fenix eventually released more PD31 with a black (titanium coated?) pocket clip.
    The Fenix website still lists the PD31 but I see as discontinued on a few stores so I assume it's not longer being produced in favor of the PD32?

I got mine with the black clip from Amazon. However the one their showing now has the silver clip.
    G23 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have both lights. IMHO the PD31 outperforms the PD30 by just a trifle. Of course, the PD31 is also a tad larger than the PD30. I really like that the PD31 utilizes 18650.

I detest reverse clickies, so I modded my PD31 with a 'tactical' forward clicky. Oh yeah, that transformed the PD31 into a kick-azz light!

-

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I detest reverse clickies, so I modded my PD31 with a 'tactical' forward clicky. Oh yeah, that transformed the PD31 into a kick-azz light!

-
    I agree! I put a Fenix PD32 tailcap on, now it is an awesome light!
    G23 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    I agree! I put a Fenix PD32 tailcap on, now it is an awesome light!
    Is it easy to find a PD32 tailcap?

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    Is it easy to find a PD32 tailcap?
    Yeah, I just called Fenix customer service, paid over the phone and had one at my mailbox in a week.
    G23 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Flashaholic*

Evilgrin07 Re: Fenix PD30 vs PD31

I couldn’t find a number for Europe on their website but I did find an e-mail address: I’ll be dropping them a mail about the PD32 taicap soon…

Guess what? The other night I started reading about the PD31 again, saw that very few online shops have still have it for sale, told myself after all I had just bought a Li-ion charger for the PA10 14500, then accidentally saw a PD31 at a decent price and hit the bullet! I promised myself that I had to get another light so soon because the PD31 was only produced in limited numbers and wouldn’t want to risk having to buy one the latest PD31 available at a much higher price.

What worries me is that I’m already suspisiously spending a lot of time staring at JetBeam PC20 pics…
    Please help me stop!

Flashaholic*

Has anybody tried using a PD30 R5 with a AW 17670?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    Has anybody tried using a PD30 R5 with a AW 17670?
    I tried a protected AW with the label removed, but it didn't fit.

Flashaholic*

Thank you!
    I had read threads saying the protected AW 17670 didn't fit the PD30 R2 but then I had seen this review listing protected AW 17670 runtimes so had thought the AW 17670 had been slimmed down that by half a millimeter or so...
    Not the case then! Can I ask you what batteries do you use? Primaries or RCR123? : )

Flashaholic

I only use primaries in it, but they seem to last a very long time. I'm not sure the PD30 can handle RCR's? Maybe the LifePO4. Surefire has some listed on their site, maybe those would work.

Flashaholic*

I read this thread when I was trying to decide which light to get and of course I went for the PD31 as I wanted a 18650, even thought getting the PD30 after the PD31 and PD32 had been released would be foolish.
    Then one night I saw a PD30 on sale, starting staring at pictures late at night and bit the bullet for that too telling myself it would be a good back-up light.

I have to say after a month I've come to really appreciate the PD30. I think its main advantage is its compact size which: it's slightly taller than a single AA flashlight but offers the lumens and the runtimes of 2xCR123. Its size is a good trade-off for the fact that it can't run 18650 or protected 17670. I also find that the 10-lumen low can also be very handy around the house at night rather than the 2-lumen low of the PD31 -- which is maybe better suited for middle-of-the-night tasks.
    I thought I had bought something outdated and ended up hoping Fenix will keep producing and upgrading the same model.

Flashaholic

Does the PD31 have ringy beam compared to the PD30?

Flashaholic*

Not the one I have. I don't remember for sure but if I think when I put both lights against 2 inches or 5 centimeters from the wall the PD31 has a couple of barely visible rings. Further than that they both have the very clean beams.
    From the posts I've read it seems the first PD31 batch(es) had a ringy beam but subsequent batches didn't.

Flashaholic

Thanks Labrador72. Good to know.

Flashaholic*

No probs! : ) I'm pretty picky about ringy beams and I have to say my PD31 has one of the cleanest beams out of my SMO reflector flashlights.

If you are planning to buy a PD31, you should be safe at this stage: I wanted to be sure not to get a ringy one when I bought mine so I read all threads on the PD31 on this forum and more. All posts I read from people who had bought a PD31 in the second half of 2011 said they didn't have the notorious "saturn" ring. You'd have to have some bad luck and find a reseller who has one in stock from early batches - it could happen but is unlikely: from what I read the PD31 at some point was pretty much out of stock everywhere.