Phoenix Electroforms
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Default Re: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Don,

Hello there. Just wanted to let you know that I emailed you about ordering an XM-L 1x123. No rush or anything like that. I just wanted to bring it up here in case email goes to your spam folder. Thanks!

-Kyle

Edit: Nevermind. Don emailed me before this message was moderator approved. :P
    Last edited by KeyeEl; 07-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Can a Haiku be had in a warm white XM-L? I have my first McGizmo coming shortly, a mule in High CRI. I love a floody light and appreciate warmer tints. Someday would like a Haiku to accompany the mule and thought that would be the perfect setup.

You can mod one to whatever you'd like.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

Placed an order for an xml haiku yesterday. So excited! Been wanting one for a while. Thanks!

Flashaholic

Received Don's Mule today. Just got the chance to play with it for a while. The light itself is a great worksmanship, now i can understand whats the McGizmo hype is all about. It feels good just to hold one in the hand. And of course nice useful beam

Thanks Don.

Flashaholic

Email sent, Paypal at the ready!

Thanks

Edited to update: Paypal sent. Yeah!
    Last edited by bushmattster; 08-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Don,
    What is your method of shipment to Malaysia? USPS EMS, Fedex, other courier.
    How much is the cost per shipment for 1 or 2 of your creation?

Ben, you need to get it! I love my Haiku and believe it or not I use my HCRI Mule as fill in light for some of my close up photography. Dom's workmanship is first rate you won't regret it...there's no turning back now
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    Don,
    Mine was shipped via EMS. I prefer it this way since it is safer and more reliable.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Don,
    I prefer shipping via EMS because of the tracking offered. Insurance is not offered so the tracking and accountability afforded by EMS is preferred. I am also willing to ship via international priority on request. The fee for EMS is typically $38 for a flat rate envelope and I can get a couple lights in the envelope.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, Sent you an email yesterday for a Haiku XM-L. Thanks

Trying to decide between the XM-L haiku as opposed to the High CRI haiku. Any thoughts and opinions anyone? Relatively new to flashlights and want to add a 2nd high quality light to rotate out with my HDS Clicky. compare and contrast would help a lot! the Dark Suck's ready made is catching my eye but leaning more torwards the fully custom haiku.

Quote Originally Posted by Karasu View Post
    Trying to decide between the XM-L haiku as opposed to the High CRI haiku. Any thoughts and opinions anyone? Relatively new to flashlights and want to add a 2nd high quality light to rotate out with my HDS Clicky. compare and contrast would help a lot! the Dark Suck's ready made is catching my eye but leaning more torwards the fully custom haiku.
    I for one strongly endorse the Nichia 119 hCRI Haiku. I also like XM-L's, but one of the most annoying factors keeping me from being totally into them is the fact that the larger die neutral or warm emitters show tint shift across the beam pattern, while the smaller XP-G or Nichia emitters are very smooth across the beam.
    Nichia 119 Haiku is about as truly neutral (neither warm, nor cool) as you can get, blessed with some of the best natural color rendition available.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

So would that make it ideal for edc? Any other opinions? All feed back is welcome.

More light: XM-L
    Higher quality light: 119

McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

Don,

PayPal sent.

Thanks

I have a one month old xml haiku and IMHO you'd have to be pretty picky to object to the slight tint shifts in the beam. It's something you can only see hunting white walls, and entirely unnoticeable in real use. The overall tint of my light is very good, just on the cool side of neutral. Very pleasing to me. I don't have a 119 to directly compare, but I suspect I'm happier with the higher xml output than I would be with the 119 light quality. Really a personal decision based on what you value most.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    I have a one month old xml haiku and IMHO you'd have to be pretty picky to object to the slight tint shifts in the beam. It's something you can only see hunting white walls, and entirely unnoticeable in real use. The overall tint of my light is very good, just on the cool side of neutral. Very pleasing to me. I don't have a 119 to directly compare, but I suspect I'm happier with the higher xml output than I would be with the 119 light quality. Really a personal decision based on what you value most.
    You'd have to be pretty picky but not being a white wall hunter (default insult for those of us who call is as we see it) I can still tell at times that the shift is there, and while it is unlikely to cause any undue suffering to the user, it's still best to let the prospective buyer know so that they, and not you, can make the informed decision themselves.
    The higher output and floodier beam pattern of the XM-L are specifically what I like about them, but the light quality coming from the 119 is a joy in itself.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    You'd have to be pretty picky but not being a white wall hunter (default insult for those of us who call is as we see it) I can still tell at times that the shift is there, and while it is unlikely to cause any undue suffering to the user, it's still best to let the prospective buyer know so that they, and not you, can make the informed decision themselves.
    The higher output and floodier beam pattern of the XM-L are specifically what I like about them, but the light quality coming from the 119 is a joy in itself.
    Hi Pete,

I do have the XM-L Haiku as well as the high CRI. I have to say that I am blessed to have received an XM-L Haiku that does not exhibit any sign of a tint shift. I am not sure if Don has handpicked the emitters for his lights, and neither can I confirm that the rest of the XM-L Haiku would not exhibit any tint shift, but I can definitely say that I very much prefer the colors generated by the high CRI Haiku. That part about the high CRI colors I fully agree with you and the high CRI Haiku is my number one choice when I venture into the outdoors. As for the XM-L Haiku, it is my main EDC light when color accuracies are not so crucial.

As for karasu, decide based upon what your needs are. Do you need a more floody light for close up use (XM-L), or do you need color accuracy (high CRI)? I haven't really compared them side by side since I don't carry both out together, but if I am not wrong the high CRI one does seem to throw a little better even though the output isn't as much as the XM-L.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I prefer shipping via EMS because of the tracking offered. Insurance is not offered so the tracking and accountability afforded by EMS is preferred. I am also willing to ship via international priority on request. The fee for EMS is typically $38 for a flat rate envelope and I can get a couple lights in the envelope.
    Don. Thanks. That would be my choice of shipment too. Tracking and signing for it allows accountability. Now I just need to make up my mind on what I want. I will be in touch soon.

Pjandyho & silgt.
    Thanks for your input.
    It appears that you will not be complete without having at least one of Don's magic. I am still trying to read as much as possible in trying to decide which model and type.

What sort of distances can i expect the various models to illuminate? I understand that the mule is for really short distance. How about the haiku, sun drop, etc.
    Spill is also important to me. Much more than accurate colour rendition.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Karasu View Post
    So would that make it ideal for edc? Any other opinions? All feed back is welcome.
    I have no experience with HCRI but I will say, the cool tint of my XM-L Haiku I received from Don is the most pleasing of all my lights. I don't know why, maybe I just got lucky..... or maybe McGizmo is just that good.
    Last edited by bushmattster; 08-09-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Wow,that was fast! Ordered my first McGizmo on a Wednesday and three days later it's in my hands in CA. I spent more than twice that time reading threads on Don's lights narrowing down which "one" to buy. Didn't want to regret buying the wrong light or size.
    For those vacillating like I was over that dilemma it might help if you rephrase the question to ...."which one do I buy first."

Only had the light for a day and already searching threads for my second.

Don, thanks for the great light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tanin; 08-12-2012 at 03:38 PM.

I will go with XML version for the Haiku and HCRI for the Mule.Just spent an hour searching for a price on the BB Haiku option but can't find it. Anyone can point out the way?

I will go with XML version for the Haiku and HCRI for the Mule.Just spent an hour searching for a price on the BB Haiku option but can't find it. Anyone can point out the way?
    The BB option on the Haiku is an additional $25. It isn't something I am trying to emphasize these days since it is restricted to the single cell Haiku which is just one among many possible configurations and it is strictly a cosmetic feature.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Does anyone know the actual amount of lumens spat out by the xm-l or Nichia 119? I haven't found need for more light than 140 on my HDS which is something I've realized. So trying to find out the exact/balpark amount spat out by the 2 options, planning on buying sometime this week or next.

I think somewhere around 90 on high for the 119 and 185 on high for the XM-L. The 119 being a tighter beam and the XM-L being a more floody beam of course.

If I am not wrong, Don last told me the XM-L was like 200 lumen when he wrote me via email previously.

Unenlightened

How can I order one of this Haiku?
    Fausto

Send an email to Don telling him what you want. His address should be on the first page.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast