• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I am now adding more confusion to my offering by adding some XM-L based versions of the Mule and Haiku to go along with the Makai XM-L.

Haiku-XM-L-LED.jpg

Above is a pic of the XM-L in a Haiku. I see no need to show a pic of XM-L in Mule head. If throw is important then I think the XP-G is a better choice but if flood and maximum lumens are desired then the XM-L is a great new alternative. It's an impressive LED with exceptional efficacy, IMHO.

The XM-L can be driven by either the 3S converter I am using which works well on the 1x123 or 2xAA paks as well as with the 3 speed buck/boost converter I am using for the 2 cell (2x123) paks.

In the 1x123 LE, the LED is driven at the standard current level ~600 mA and in the 2x123 LE the LED is driven at ~1400 mA. Typical flux is probably near 200 lumens on the 1x123 and about 325 lumens on the 2x123. Please exercise caution when using the 6V lights on high output. The XM-L LED is efficient and capable of much higher current than it gets in these lights but heat is still a consideration.

The XM-L LED has a large die as you no doubt know and in the Haiku I found that the original Haiku reflector that was designed for the Cree XR-E LED works quite well with the XM-L LED. I use a small spacer O-ring in the cup on the rear of the reflector. The spot portion of the beam is large and the spill is bright. The overall beam thus is a bright concentrated flood without significant intensity differences across the pattern.

The Haiku XML is being offered for $455 plus shipping *
The Haiku XML 6V is being offered for $520 plus shipping *

The Mule XML is being offered for $415 plus shipping *
The Mule XML 6V is being offered for $480 plus shipping *

I think this is already pretty confusing for many of us but those who know what is what and would like some form of variation beyond these full light offerings, I am open to assist. For instance any of these can be had as a "Head Only" and $170 would be reduced off the price of the 1x123 lights and $230 would be reduced off the price of the 2x123 lights. One could also opt for a 2xAA pak in lieu of 1x123 pak for an additional fee of $40. Any questions on these lights or variations of them can be asked in this thread so that all can benefit.

These 4 offerings are complete flashlights and the 6V designates the buck/boost converter as well as the 2x123 pak. The Haiku XM-L and Mule XM-L come using the 3S converter and with the 1x123 pak.

I do want to state that my hope and intent is to process the e-mail orders for these on a first received/ first processed basis and ideally the response to your e-mail order will be a notification of shipment. I don't want to add to the number of communications by sending an acknowledgment prior to generating the postage notification.

These lights are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: the version of XM-L light requested

In the body of the e-mail request please provide:

Additional clarification on the light you want (if necessary and to be safe)
Your CPF name
(if you have one)
Your real name and mailing address
phone number if international shipment
Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)*

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD. For more information on the Haiku, please review THIS THREAD.

All of these lights sport some tool marks and various cosmetic singularities. Some may be obvious and some you may need to look closely for.

If you receive one of these lights and decide that it does not meet your expectation then you can either lower your expectations or simply send the light back for a full refund. I won't offer an exchange for probably obvious reasons. (please don't abuse this offer)

Like all of my Ti lights, these XM-L versions are designed to be sealed from the environment and external pressure but I make no claim or suggestion that it is a dive or underwater light.

Thanks guys! :bow:

* shipping is via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Global Priority mail. If you wish shipping via an alternative method, or signature confirmation or insurance on domestic shipments only, please specify in your e-mail order. If you want insurance, I will also add the expense and option of signature confirmation to your shipment.

chef4850

Enlightened
This is awesome! Don was gracious enough to offer me a 6V XM-L that I have been using for the last few months. This is the best McGizmo light to date and the offering of the Haiku just makes it that much better.

Anyone that might be on the fence about either of these - GET BOTH! They will become a must have!

Chef

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we get the head+LE / LE only prices posted?
Also is a Haiku 3v 1400ma LE out of the question? (2x eneloop)
Thanks,
Frank

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Gah! I already have too many Haikus and I just can't justify one of these. Not to mention I spent a ton of money building this:

CIMG4725.jpg

Ah well, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will jump all over this. Looks great, as usual.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Can we get the head+LE / LE only prices posted?
Also is a Haiku 3v 1400ma LE out of the question? (2x eneloop)
Thanks,
Frank

Frank,
The 3S converter design does not allow for current drive levels above present offerings. Sorry.

As for HEAD ONLY,

The HEAD ONLY-Haiku XML is being offered for $285 plus shipping *
The HEAD ONLY-Haiku XML 6V is being offered for $290 plus shipping *

The HEAD ONLY-Mule XML is being offered for $245 plus shipping *
The HEAD ONLY-Mule XML 6V is being offered for $250 plus shipping *

As for just a Light Engine (LE) I won't turn my back on a request but on the other hand, I don't want to encourage the sale of just the LE to the extent of posting prices in this thread for a number of reasons. Foremost being the possibility of improper or marginal applications and the consideration that I have limited numbers of drivers, LED's and components and have based my inventories on the ability to build flashlights and not as a parts supply. The only straight forward exchange of a XM-L LE is that of putting one in a Makai head or Mule head.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to see a beam shot of the Haiku XM-L! I haven't even thought about XM-L lights yet, (I'm slow and love the XP-G!) but I probably should start saving in case there is a neutral XM-L offering!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey Don,

Does this mean there won't be a single cell Makai? :confused:

Hi Coach, I will be happy to build a single cell Makai for anyone who wants one. The price would be $515 plus postage for a complete Makai XM-L or $345 for Head only.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Took a Mule XM-L out for a swim today. Fortunately I had a friend who helped me get some photos of it.

DON_4178.jpg

DON_4182.jpg

DON_4191.jpg

I dove down about 35' to get a "proof" shot of RocketGirl, a hawksbill turtle and thought better of using the light to shine on her head under the coral. I didn't want to upset her. Light was fine though. I don't spend much time down there as it takes a while to get down and back up for an old fart like me...

P5163537.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
You take the best product photos, Don. I'm particularly impressed by the beam quality in the second one, in which you have coral in the foreground and the surface of the water in the background. Any chance you'd be willing to share a wallpaper-sized version of that one? :)

On another note, I look forward to seeing someone's review of the Haiku XM-L (particularly the 3V version), because I might be persuaded to upgrade the light engine in my Haiku XR-E if the XM-L shows a significant improvement.

Last edited:

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Frank,
Please check your spam folder. I shipped the head and responded with a postage notification.
Thanks,
Don

Hi Don,
The 6v Haiku is the cat's meow. This reminds me of a SST50 light I thought you were hinting at a way back. A beam with a lot of light and nice transition from strong spill to just noticable spot. Good work Don!
Thanks,
Frank

:party:

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email sent for a Haiku XM-L

WOW, this is my second 400th post buying a McGizmo :devil:

Last edited:

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Don. I would like to purchase an XM-L light engine only for an empty mule head that I already have. This one will be a single cell application. I know you prefer to sell the complete package but I would be greatly appreciative if you could accomodate my request so I can free my empty mule from hibernation by giving it a heart transplant! I have had a WTB post on CPF Marketplace with no response so I would be a happy camper if you can fill my request. PayPal locked and loaded awaiting your response! Thanks Karl H. Riedel III. My regular email is [email protected] and I know I am in your files from previous transactions.