ArmyTek        
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Flashaholic

Default Re: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Received my order in Jacksonville this morning and will try it out this evening after it gets dark. My brother will receive his Haiku when I drive to his place for Thanksgiving. He uses a light when he walks his pug late at night. The Haikus look very nice.

Took the light out tonight and it had a nice (to me) simi-flood beam, and a nice range of low/med/high.

When the power goes out again this will be the light I will grab first.
    Last edited by ajl; 09-14-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Just received my new Haiku 6V XM-L, impressive to say the least...

Many thanks Don!
    Collecting is all about what you don't have

Thanks a bunch!

Enlightened

Hi Don

First I'm new to custom torches/flashlight so sorry if you have answered this before:

I'm very interested in a Haiku XM-L but having recently brought a Sunwayman V10R Ti I'm not sure I could ever go back to a torch without a continually variable output. So my question is will you ever be making the Haikus with variable output?

Thank you in advance

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DeliveryD View Post
    Hi Don

First I'm new to custom torches/flashlight so sorry if you have answered this before:

I'm very interested in a Haiku XM-L but having recently brought a Sunwayman V10R Ti I'm not sure I could ever go back to a torch without a continually variable output. So my question is will you ever be making the Haikus with variable output?

Thank you in advance

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I was a strong proponent for "infinitely" variable output in theory until I finally got a chance to use a flashlight capable of providing it. I discovered that I much prefer a few set levels of significant difference in output over a variable output allowing one to finely tune the output. With a 3 speed for instance, I can quickly choose low, med or high based on the need for illumination and also have an idea of what kind of run time I can expect at the chosen level. In dynamic portable illumination with a finite power source I believe a few fixed and known levels of output allow one to more quickly and with less distraction, get the light out and get on with the task at hand. I don't discount the value of continually variable output as much as question it and especially when considered in the form, function, user interface and durability inherent in a portable light source.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by ajl View Post
    Received my order in Jacksonville this morning and will try it out this evening after it gets dark. My brother will receive his Haiku when I drive to his place for Thanksgiving. He uses a light when he walks his pug late at night. The Haikus look very nice.

Took the light out tonight and it had a nice (to me) simi-flood beam, and a nice range of low/med/high.

+ 1 for the pug!! I love my pug.
    And I would love a Mcgizmo too!

When the power goes out again this will be the light I will grab first.
    Last edited by AO JAR; 09-24-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Unenlightened

I am a beginner and I would like to know: what is the length in Haiku XML 6B and Haiku XML? I find it difficult to choose because of no knowledge of these parameters (preferably in inches and cm)
    Last edited by VladSh; 09-25-2011 at 09:20 AM.

The Haiku is 3 5/8" (93 mm) long and the Haiku 6V is 5" (125 mm) long.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Unenlightened

Thank you Don.

Is a full length or just mule?

Those are the lengths of the Haikus. Mule lights would be ~ 5/8" (16 mm) shorter.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Hi Steve,

I was a strong proponent for "infinitely" variable output in theory until I finally got a chance to use a flashlight capable of providing it. I discovered that I much prefer a few set levels of significant difference in output over a variable output allowing one to finely tune the output. With a 3 speed for instance, I can quickly choose low, med or high based on the need for illumination and also have an idea of what kind of run time I can expect at the chosen level. In dynamic portable illumination with a finite power source I believe a few fixed and known levels of output allow one to more quickly and with less distraction, get the light out and get on with the task at hand. I don't discount the value of continually variable output as much as question it and especially when considered in the form, function, user interface and durability inherent in a portable light source.
    Thank you Don for your reply. I appreciate that you respond to us all.

For me variable output works well, round the house late at night, checking on the children and not waking the wife, as well as out for night walks and camping (for the same reasons). I don't need it for work so run time is not a major issue as spares are readily available.

So if ever you consider making a Haiku with variable output.....

Cheers Steve

Unenlightened

Can someone take a picture Haiku XML-6B and Haiku XML together? I still can not make a choice

Don, EM sent for one Haiku XM-L.

I got my first McGizmo light in the mail yesterday. 24 hours later: I'm already trying to figure out which lights to sell to get a Mule!

This thing is sweet.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon
    I got my first McGizmo light in the mail yesterday. 24 hours later: I'm already trying to figure out which lights to sell to get a Mule!

This thing is sweet.

Haha, this is exactly what happened to me. It just gets worse, buddy.

Me too... As you can see on my sale thread in CPFMP lately

McGizmo lights truly are addictive my mind has been "poisoned" and I need to seek help!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Hello!
    So is there a way to go from older Haiku to Haiku XM-L short of buying a whole new head (ouch)?
    One fondle of a Haiku and your hooked. Must be the final dip
    in Hawaiian waters.
    Regards, Chuck Hunt

Flashaholic

If you have an XR-E you should be able to just purchase the XM-L light engine from Don. They use the same reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by seahunt View Post
    Hello!
    So is there a way to go from older Haiku to Haiku XM-L short of buying a whole new head (ouch)?
    in Hawaiian waters.
    Regards, Chuck Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by seahunt View Post
    Hello!
    in Hawaiian waters.
    Regards, Chuck Hunt
    Hi Chuck,

If you have an original Haiku that uses the XR-E then it is possible to upgrade to a Haiku XM-L by replacing the Light Engine and adding an O-ring and reassembling the head. A Haiku XP-G would require a reflector change out in addition. This is an expensive proposition either way and I sure don't see the cost warranted by the gain of the upgrade unless the existing light simply fails to do what you need it to and you are certain that an upgrade would get you there.

Although such an upgrade could be done by the user I won't encourage it and would prefer to do the upgrade for the user but I won't do it for free.

Flashaholic*

Hi Don, any chance of a neutral XM-L run for the Haiku?
    Keep it simple.

Yes, a tint near to the high CRI would be great!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by tygger View Post
    Hi Don, any chance of a neutral XM-L run for the Haiku?
    I purchased the brightest XM-L LED's I could and their CCT is < 6300 as I recall. As for tint, to my eyes in the Haiku, the spot portion of the beam is warm and the spill portion cool. Some of you might consider the spot portion neutral but I sure don't see the spot as "cool". I guess my real point here is that I see two tints in the Haiku beam and this reduces the point of trying to target a specific tint. Others might prefer a warm XM-L but my suspicion is that with any of the XM-L LED's used behind a reflector you are likely to get a couple tints if not couple color temperatures (CCT) in the beam.

To my eyes, the only LED I have worked with that has a very consistent tint from spot to spill is the High CRI 119 Nichia I am working with. The XP-G LED's seem to have a better consistency in tint than the XM-L LED's but my experience with all of these LED's is really quite limited if you consider all of the possible bins available.

To answer your question though and in keeping with your sig line, I am keeping it simple and sticking with what I have and what I have is quite viable and useful, IMHO.

It is not that difficult to replace the LED on the light engine and that option is always open to folks either via a modder or DIY attempt.

I can't embrace all options and possibilities here and opening some doors would invite chaos to my humble shop. Sorry. If I did purchase some "neutral" LED's and went to the trouble what if you got one and to you, it was not neutral?

Flashaholic*

Understood Don. Thanks.
    Keep it simple.

E-mail sent for Mule XM-L 6V. Thanks Don.
    LunaSol 20 :: AlTiN Titanium Draco :: Surefire E1B :: Fenix TK11 R2 :: Fenix L0D Q5 Premium :: Inova X0

Email Sent,

Can't Wait for my first McGizmo

Unenlightened

Thumbs up Re: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Hi Don,I want to order a BB Haiku XM-L,what is the price of BB version?I would like to have a quote for the light plus shipping to mainland china.

thx

Unenlightened

Buttrock Re: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Email sent,Don.

I am ready for payment.

My first Ti McGizmo,

Don, Thanks
    My Haiku XM-L and 2AA pak arrived a couple days ago, words can't describe the perfection in the workmanship and the beam quality.

CPF posters, Thanks
    for all the fine comments and info about Don's lights, because without I would have never thought a light could be worth so much.

Unenlightened

My Haiku XML just arrived.What a amazing light!!!!

Thx Don.

Don:
    Email sent on Haiku XM-L.

Last edited by Mezeno; 11-09-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast