The Fenix-Store        
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Default Re: Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

I was asked by a member about the difference between the Haiku XP-G and the XM-L on low. I took a few beam shots with a fresh AW in each from about 6 feet,

XM-L

Low

Med

XP-G

Low

Med

I hope this helps
    Last edited by shado; 11-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    My Lights__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Hi Shado, thanks for the beam shots. Does the XP-G appear much brighter on far distance, or only very slightly brighter? Example of distance would be like 50 yards or so.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Hi Shado, thanks for the beam shots. Does the XP-G appear much brighter on far distance, or only very slightly brighter? Example of distance would be like 50 yards or so.
    The XP-G has a brighter hot spot, but the XM-L is brighter over all at about 50 feet. I've already taken the dogs for a walk and will try to comment on 50 yards in the next few days. I will say the beam of the Haiku XM-L reminds me of the PD-S

Thanks
    Todd
    My Lights__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by shado View Post
    The XP-G has a brighter hot spot, but the XM-L is brighter over all at about 50 feet. I've already taken the dogs for a walk and will try to comment on 50 yards in the next few days. I will say the beam of the Haiku XM-L reminds me of the PD-S

Thanks
    Todd
    Thanks again. Since I have the XM-L Haiku now, I was wondering if I would miss anything the XP-G can provide. Been thinking of another Haiku in BB finish but am not sure.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Thanks again. Since I have the XM-L Haiku now, I was wondering if I would miss anything the XP-G can provide. Been thinking of another Haiku in BB finish but am not sure.
    I see you are in Singapore neighbour. If you are in KL, pm me, I have a XPG Haiku. We can meet up as I too would like to test the XML Haiku.
    SF E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    CRK 21L Umnumzaan Strider SmF ZT0560BK SPY PM2 BM 556 551-1302 ​LSTEEL HEAT HEFT4

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstat View Post
    I see you are in Singapore neighbour. If you are in KL, pm me, I have a XPG Haiku. We can meet up as I too would like to test the XML Haiku.
    Hi neighbor!

Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I am not sure when my schedule would allow. The last time I was in KL was on a two weeks photoshoot in Putrajaya region about two years ago. Been thinking of going there again for the food. Will PM you when my schedule allows.

Don:
    My Haiku XM-L came in and, WOW! What an incredible light. The only problem is that my wife is a photography nut and immediately saw the importance and value of this light for her hobby. She had the audacity to tell me that if it goes missing I should ask her if she has it. First, this is my baby. Second, she can't keep up with anything. I am guessing that the best solution is an XM-L Mule for the Holidays. Whoever said Don's lights are like potato chips is right. Very shiny, beautiful, expensive potato chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezeno View Post
    Don:
    My Haiku XM-L came in and, WOW! What an incredible light. The only problem is that my wife is a photography nut and immediately saw the importance and value of this light for her hobby. She had the audacity to tell me that if it goes missing I should ask her if she has it. First, this is my baby. Second, she can't keep up with anything. I am guessing that the best solution is an XM-L Mule for the Holidays. Whoever said Don's lights are like potato chips is right. Very shiny, beautiful, expensive potato chips.
    Wow my exact words when I got mine. Get the wife a high CRI Mule and she won't swipe your XM-L. The CRI is better for photo's, if you have not yet checked out the link,s at the bottom of (user Pjandyho) post #126 you should check them out.

Flashaholic

Received my XM-L Mule this afternoon. I will have to wait a few hours to really try it out as it's still warm and sunny here. It looks nice though. Happy New Years to everyone.

ajl from Jacksonville, FL

Hello!
    Have Haiku XR-E that I would like to have up-dated to
    give about 200 lumens on high (not interested in OMG lumens),
    and something that won't burn my hand, but running a RCR123/ 4.2batt.
    18350 use would be helpful too (but I don't know if offered).
    If possible, please advise procedure for paying and shipping. Thank you.
    Regards, Chuck Hunt
    Last edited by seahunt; 01-01-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Hi Chuck,
    The modification you propose would require exchanging the existing XR-E on MCPCB with a XM-L on MCPCB as well as reorientation of the reflector in the Haiku head. I believe the flux will be below your 200 lumens mark but not significantly. Feel free to contact me via e-mail if this is something you think you want to proceed with. If your light falls short of your illumination needs and you think the XM-L will make the difference you seek then this might be a way to go for you.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I just got my hands on my second Macgizmo, XML haiku, the best light I ever held in my hands
    thanks don

Quote Originally Posted by jalal20 View Post
    I just got my hands on my second Macgizmo, XML haiku, the best light I ever held in my hands
    thanks don
    I agree with you. I really love the Haiku XM-L as well as the high CRI Haiku. Although the XM-L can't throw as well as an XP-G based emitter, it more than make up for it with the floody beam. Very useful general usage light for close range use which is what I use my lights for generally. In fact, all my McGizmo Haiku and Mule are my favorites.
    Last edited by pjandyho; 01-05-2012 at 09:50 AM.

My first light was the High CRI Mule which arrived yesterday , I think it was a great choice to have it as a high CRI for indoor use. Ive had my eyes locked on the mule from the first day I got here and Finally I have one and now love it even more

I agree with you. I really love the Haiku XM-L as well as all of the high CRI Haiku. Although the XM-L can't throw as well as an XP-G based emitter, it more than make up for it with the floody beam. Very useful general usage light for close range use which is what I use my lights for generally. In fact, all my McGizmo Haiku and Mule are my favorites.

Don,

Is the Haiku XML available for order?

After reading your recent post on the availability of lights I am a little confused.

Thanks

Don,
    Any update on the situation with the new 3S converters? Please do tell.

Hi guys,
    I sent the lot of new 3S converters back to Japan for reprogramming. I have not been given any word yet on when I might expect to start getting some back. My guess is that I am a couple weeks away from being able to build with these new converters but it is just a guess at this point. At present I only have the buck/boost 6V converters to work with as well as some os Wayne's single level converters (GD,NG).
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Reprogramming? What's with the new 3S converter? Any difference?

Reprogramming? What's with the new 3S converter? Any difference?
    The new converter can handle shifting through the levels on a depleted battery better than its predecessor and I am not sure you can detect any PWM on low or medium levels. Aside from these two aspects I am not aware of any other differences.

Thanks Don. May want to buy them to swap out my current one when it's available.

Can anyone confirm the difference in output of the warm XPG Haiku versus the XML? In terms of overall lumens?
    Last edited by Vernon; 02-25-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

It's pretty marginal. I think the XML puts out only maybe 10-20 lm more on high. The main difference is in beam pattern, with the XPG packing more throw with a tighter hotspot than the XML, which is more floody.

Thanks, NBP.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    It's pretty marginal. I think the XML puts out only maybe 10-20 lm more on high. The main difference is in beam pattern, with the XPG packing more throw with a tighter hotspot than the XML, which is more floody.
    The being true, the XPG beam is surprisingly floody. I was very pleased. It's almost perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Can anyone confirm the difference in output of the warm XPG Haiku versus the XML? In terms of overall lumens?
    If I recall correctly, the XP-G warm was measurably lower in flux than the "stock" XP-G and the XM-L is measurably higher in flux than the XP-G. I believe there would be a noticeable difference both in beam distribution and flux between a Haiku XP-G warm and Haiku XM-L; perhaps almost as much as 100 lumens greater flux with the XM-L? Am I wrong? (I don't have a warm Haiku XP-G)

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    If I recall correctly, the XP-G warm was measurably lower in flux than the "stock" XP-G and the XM-L is measurably higher in flux than the XP-G. I believe there would be a noticeable difference both in beam distribution and flux between a Haiku XP-G warm and Haiku XM-L; perhaps almost as much as 100 lumens greater flux with the XM-L? Am I wrong? (I don't have a warm Haiku XP-G)
    Don, you are not wrong - and IIRC, you are very close (at least according to my simple home made sphere). My 'warm' Haiku measures 158 lumen - my XML version was around 260 (I don't have it any more.)

Hope that helps

Don,

I just sent you an email ordering a Haiku XML.

I anxiously await your response.

Thanks so much

My Haiku XML has been mailed! Hopefully, I will receive it tomorrow (3/01).

I cannot wait for it to arrive.

Well I finally was able to replace the Haiku XP-G 2XAA I had to sell a while ago but it took me selling my house and moving to Florida to get another one. I just ordered a Haiku XM-L 2XAA and should have it in a few days. I have not left Michigan yet but I wanted to make sure I got my new light before I had to leave. Last time I went to Florida I stopped in Georgia for the night and was shining my light around the room and spotted a black spider in the corner by the table they had set up and my light hit the black spider and I saw the red hour glass on its belly and made sure I killed it with one whack of my shoe and then I went to the office and changed rooms to the second floor and no I did not sleep to well that night I just kept thinking about the black widow that could have been my bed buddy. Before I left the first room I saw where there was a big gap under the door and then I looked under the air conditioner and saw all of the widows kills in its web so it must have been there a while. Now I hate staying in any motel and when I do I sure look around and under things just to make sure.
    Last edited by Per-Sev; 03-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. (Archilochus 650BC)

Flashaholic

The Haiku 2xAA makes an excellent and versatile emergency flashlight. I have a 2nd body on the way to me. A tough and ready emergency electric light is a good thing to have on hand. Just had a hour long power failure and I used it to install 8 "D" batteries in the Coleman fluorescent lantern that I've have for a number of years but have never used. That Coleman lantern even on low (18 hours so they say) really puts out the light. I had three sets of batteries on hand, and will pick up a few more sets before the hurricane season starts. It has been 20 years since Hurricane Andrew. I wasn't there, but family members were. No electricty, no water for awhile, but they still had landline telephone service (in the area just north of the airport).
    Last edited by ajl; 03-02-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast