JetBeam Backup BC40 (XM-L) High-Output Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy, as usual. :whistle:

BC40008.jpg

JetBeam has recently added a high-output 2x18650 light to its Backup series – a family of inexpensive, two-stage lights. Let's see how it compares to the pricier competition in the high-output world … :whistle:

Manufacturer's Specifications:
  • LED: CREE XM-L
  • Maximum output: 830 lumens
  • Maximum runtime: 11 hours
  • Battery: 4*CR123 or 2*18650
  • Reflector: Precision aluminum reflector
  • Dimensions: Head Diameter 48mm, Tube Diameter 25.4mm, Total Length 223mm
  • Weight: 227g (without battery)
  • Aero grade aluminum alloy construction
  • High performance reflector-based optic system
  • Fully regulated advanced power management
  • Reverse polarity protection circuit
  • 2 modes of output
  • AR coated scratch-resistant mineral glass lens
  • Type III hard-anodized finish for corrosion and scratch resistance
  • IPX-8 Waterproof (submersible up to 2 meters)
  • Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
  • Estimated MSRP ~$65.
BC40011.jpg
BC40004.jpg

Packaging is similar across the Backup line (although the inviting "Try Me" is new :rolleyes:). Inside the cardboard box, you will find the light (sandwiched inside a molded plastic insert), manual, warranty card, wrist lanyard, grip ring, spare boot cap and o-rings. A well-fitting belt holster was also included with my sample.

A very good package for a "budget" high-output light.

BC40036.jpg
BC40027.jpg

From left to right: Redilast Protected 18650, JetBeam BC40, Lumintop TD-15X (2 extenders), Thrunite Catapult V3, JetBeam M1X (no extender), Olight M31 (no extender)

All dimensions are given with no batteries installed:

BC40: Weight: 226.3g, Length: 224mm , Width (bezel): 48.5mm
Catapult V3 XM-L: Weight: 434.8g, Length: 254mm, Width (bezel) 58.0mm, Width (tailcap) 35.1mm.
TK35: Weight: 256.1g, Length: 162mm, Width (bezel): 48.6mm, Max Wdith 52.0mm
M3C4 XM-L: Weight: 348.0g, Length: 164mm, Width: 61mm (bezel)

As you can see, the BC40 is one of the lightest lights in this class. Overall dimensions are also quite compact for 2x18650 light (batteries end-to-end).

BC40006.jpg

BC40007.jpg

First, a few comments about the holster - I quite like it. It is simple, easy to use, and even has a velcroed flap for attaching around a belt. Considering the extremely low price, it's remarkable they included one at all.

UPDATE May 29, 2011: Some users have reported receiving the light without the holster. Recommend you confirm with your dealer, if it matters to you.

BC40021.jpg

BC40019.jpg

BC40022.jpg

BC40020.jpg

BC40012.jpg

The body plan of the BC40 is fairly straightforward. Overall, I find it reminds me of the classic Streamlight Strion/Stinger shape. I found it comfortable to hold and handle.

Black anodizing (manufacturer claims type III = HA) is slightly glossy, and without blemishes on my sample. Lettering is clear and sharp, and reasonably bright.

The light lacks knurling (except for a small band around the bezel), and instead has a series of thick-cut concentric rings around the body. Looks reminiscent of some McGizmo designs - but is quite basic here. These rings help a bit with grip, but I still find light somewhat slippery overall.

Screw threads are square-cut (well, trapezoidal) and anodized at the tailcap, to allow for lock-out. :thumbsup:

Switch is a forward clicky, of similar design to other lights in the Backup family (and some recent NiteCore lights). The BC40 can tailstand.

Like all members of the Backup family, there is a physical reverse polarity device (plastic disc) in the head. But it would seem to be circumvented on the BC40, given there is a spring located in the center of it. :thinking: Higher capacity flat-top cells worked fine in my testing.

I didn't find the bundled grip-ring very useful. You just drop it on at the tailcap region, where it spins freely (even with the tailcap tightened). Somewhat useful as an anti-roll device, but I don't imagine too many would use it as an actual grip aid.

EDIT: As HIDBlue suggests below, adding an extra o-ring between the grip ring and the tailcap provides enough contact pressure to stop it from spinning.

BC40025.jpg

BC40030.jpg

The BC40 uses a Cree XM-L emitter, with a medium-heavy OP reflector. I would expect throw to be no more than average for the class, given the medium-sized head and OP reflector.

Although at first glance, the head seems to be sealed. However, MountainMike confirms that he was able to open his with strap wrenches.

And now the white-wall beamshots. ;) All lights are on 2xAW protected 18650, about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

BC40001.jpg
TK35001.jpg

M3C4XML-Beam001.jpg
Cat3-Beam001.jpg

BC40002.jpg
TK35002.jpg

M3C4XML-Beam002.jpg
Cat3-Beam002.jpg

BC40003.jpg
TK35003.jpg

M3C4XML-Beam003.jpg
Cat3-Beam003.jpg

BC40004-1.jpg
TK35004.jpg

M3C4XML-Beam004.jpg
Cat3-Beam004.jpg

Beam pattern is good – the light has a reasonable amount of throw, and a nice transition from spot to spill.

UPDATE June 6, 2011: I have just posted a new 100-yard round-up beamshot review for 2011, showcasing all my current "thrower" lights. Below are a couple of an animated GIFs showing some relevant comparisons for the BC40. Please see that round-up review for additional pics of other lights, taken under the same conditions.

TK35-BC40-M3C4XML.gif

X3-BC40-TD15X2x.gif

User Interface

The UI is the same across the Backup family – twist the head tight for Hi, loosen for Lo.

Turn on/off by the forward clicky switch (i.e. press for momentary, click for locked-on).

And that's it. :kiss: No strobe, SOS, etc.

PWM

BC40-PWM.gif

Unlike the other members of the Backup family, the BC40 uses PWM on its low mode, measured at 876 Hz on my sample. This is high enough to not be overly distracting in regular use, but it is detectable.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

Effective November 2010, I have revised my summary tables to match with the current ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1.htm for a description of the terms used in these tables.

BC40-FL1-Summary-1.gif

No surprises on Hi - the BC40 performs in the same range as most lights of this class, both for overall output and for throw. :)

Lo output level is reasonable for a two-stage light. Note that it is not as low as most multi-level lights in this class.

Output/Runtime Comparison:

BC40-Hi18650.gif

BC40-Lo18650.gif

BC40-HiCR123A.gif

Output and runtime on Hi are right in keeping with this class. On both 2x18650 and 4xCR123A, the light performed exactly as expected.

On Lo, runtime was a little low compared to some other lights. Still quite reasonable, but not as effiient as the TK35 for example.

Potential Issues

The light lacks any real knurling, and can be somewhat slippery to handle.

The light uses visible PWM on the Lo mode, but the frequency is high enough to not be overly distracting - 876 Hz. However, output/runtime efficiency on Lo is not as high as other lights that use current-control.

Lo output level is reasonable for a two-stage light, but not as low as the multi-level competition.

Preliminary Observations

I am impressed with how much light you get with the BC40 for the price. :thumbsup:

No, you don't have all the levels of most of the competition. But you do get reasonably well-spaced levels, with a simple two-stage head-twist interface. In some ways, you could think of the BC40 as a slightly smaller and more streamlined version of the original Catapult V2 XM-L (but with less throw due to the smaller reflector, of course).

Despite the budget price, there is nothing budget about the quality of this light. Like the rest of the Backup family, the build seems of high quality. No, it doesn't have all the flourishes of the regular JetBem lights, but the minimalist ethic of the Backup series is well implemented (and suitable for a high-output light, IMO). That being said, I would like to see a little actual knurling on the body tube. :whistle:

Like the other members of the Backup family, I found the switch easy to access (despite being recessed for tailstanding).

Beam pattern is good - well-balanced, with a good mix of spot/throw to spill. Emitter tint was good on my sample (i.e. a premium Cool White, with just a hint of purple). But as always, YMMV - I would expect greater tint variation on a "budget" light.

Output and runtime on Hi are right on the money for this class - no surprises. :) Runtime on Lo was a bit low (especially compared to the always-efficient Fenix offering in this space), but still reasonable. Unfortunately, the light uses visible PWM for the low mode, but I didn't find it distracting in use (i.e. freq is 876 Hz).

If all you are looking for is a simple two-stage High-output light, I don't see how you could do better right now for the price. The light even comes with a decent holster! :eek:oo: While there are still a few areas for potential improvement (as with any light), in my opinion the BC40 is a fantastic bargain in this space at the moment.

UPDATEs May 29, 2011: Contrary to what I previously reported, the BC40 does use PWM for its low mode - measured at 876 Hz on my sample. Also, one CPFer reports being able to open the head with strap wrenches. And a number of members report that their lights came without holsters.
----

BC40 provided by JetBeam for review.

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
I like the holster also I just wished it fit the light with the cigar ring attached.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review as usual! I'm looking forward to mine arriving.

Runtime is a little disappointing though. Maybe Jetbeam were testing with 2900's

MTL

Newly Enlightened
I bought one for my dad for his birthday next week and can't wait to give it to him. He has always kept a maglight handy on a counter by his main door (lives in the country). He wouldn't mess with rechargeables and I figured I could keep him supplied with CR123 cells. It's just big enough so that it's not likely to get stuck in a drawer (not a pocket light). I think it will be a perfect maglight replacement. I loaded it up with cells and loosened the bezel. When he turns it on low it will already be brighter than his mag.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Runtime is a little disappointing though. Maybe Jetbeam were testing with 2900's
yes, that would certainly explain it. My 2200mAh AW protected are definitely lower capacity than most 18650s today. But it their runtime specs could also be referring to 4xCR123A.

I bought one for my dad for his birthday next week and can't wait to give it to him. He has always kept a maglight handy on a counter by his main door (lives in the country). ... When he turns it on low it will already be brighter than his mag.
Oh yeah, that should be a big difference! I am sure your dad will be blown away. :grin2:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the holster also I just wished it fit the light with the cigar ring attached.

The holster will work with the cigar ring it just needs a little breaking in, I put a D cell Mag in mine for a few days to stretch it out the bottom opening.

Later
Kelly

pageyjim

Enlightened
The holster will work with the cigar ring it just needs a little breaking in, I put a D cell Mag in mine for a few days to stretch it out the bottom opening.

Later
Kelly

Great I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Bass

Enlightened
Thanks for another great review Selfbuilt.

Jetbeam (Sysmax) have really done a good job with the BC series. The features, build and accessories are excellent for the price point; trapezoidal threads, double o-rings, anodized tailcap threads, holster, latest LED etc. are features normally on higher priced lights. Impressive!

The design is a bit basic (looks like a toilet plunger to me), when put against the Catapult and M1X, but not bad by any means and expected for the price point. Not sure about the packaging livery but that's only a small point!

Someone at Sysmax is definitely a fan of Don's work though. A certain 'resemblance' to a Ti 2x123 pak. That and their new clips, 'McJetBeam' Clickies and Nitecore PD series Licence. :whistle:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Excellent review selfbuilt!

I'm a big fan of the Jetbeam BC series. I just picked up the BC40 and BC10 and I was really surprised how great the lights were given the price point.

Specifically, with regard to the BC40, as you pointed out, it's very reminiscient of the Streamlight Stinger that I used to carry so I'm a big fan of the form factor and the very simple Hi-Lo UI. And I agree, I wish it had a bit more knurling rather than the smooth ring design on the tube portion of the light.

My Catapult seems to outperform the BC40 but it is also considerably heavier and bulkier than the BC40. The BC40 is much easier to carry than the Catapult.

Time will only tell if the BC40 holds up to routine use/carry, but initial observations look promising.

As far as the cigar ring (grip ring)...I just placed a thin O-ring from another light in between the cigar ring (grip ring) and the body tube and the pressure from the tightened tail cap on the cigar ring (grip ring) prevents it from spinning at all and it stays firmly in place. It does a good job of preventing it from rolling off the hood of the car when I have to place it down.

Overall, I'm very happy with the BC40.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Someone at Sysmax is definitely a fan of Don's work though. A certain 'resemblance' to a Ti 2x123 pak. That and their new clips, 'McJetBeam' Clickies and Nitecore PD series Licence. :whistle:
2x :whistle:

Great review as usual!!! My wallet hates you
yellowlaugh.gif
On the plus side, at least this one isn't very expensive for a high output light. ;)

As far as the cigar ring (grip ring)...I just placed a thin O-ring from another light in between the cigar ring (grip ring) and the body tube and the pressure from the tightened tail cap on the cigar ring (grip ring) prevents it from spinning at all and it stays firmly in place. It does a good job of preventing it from rolling off the hood of the car when I have to place it down.
Good thinking, that should definitely solve the problem. :thumbsup:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!
I have the ITP Polestar, and am looking to replace it, because I want a comparable light with a forward clickie. I checked your Polestar review to compare its brightness to this light, but it looks like your method for testing output has changed and really can't be compared. Is this light brighter than the Polestar? I tested my Polestar in my lightbox and get around 450 out the front lumens. Are you saying that this light is 730 out the front lumens? Is there anyway you could compare this to the polestar (even if you just test them briefly yourself and post the numbers in this thread)?

Thanks

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, as always. How does the Backup do heat-wise when doing deep runs? I avoided the TD-15X and went with the Cat v3 for that reason.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have the ITP Polestar, and am looking to replace it, because I want a comparable light with a forward clickie. I checked your Polestar review to compare its brightness to this light, but it looks like your method for testing output has changed and really can't be compared. Is this light brighter than the Polestar? I tested my Polestar in my lightbox and get around 450 out the front lumens. Are you saying that this light is 730 out the front lumens? Is there anyway you could compare this to the polestar (even if you just test them briefly yourself and post the numbers in this thread)?
Yes, that's right - you can't directly compare my new ANSI FL-1 summary tables to the old ones.

The main difference is that before, Max Output (lightbox) and Max Throw (lux) readings were taken immediately after activation. With ANSI FL-1 (the new tables), you need to wait 3 minutes for output readings and at least 30 secs for throw readings. FYI, you can still estimate lumen output from my old tables (realizing these were taken immediately after activation) by using the conversion method described here.

I have gone back to my original Polestar data, and my estimated lumen values according to ANSI FL-1 are 460 (6xEneloop) and 480 (6xAlkaline). Those numbers are directly comparable to the 730 lumen estimate for the BC40 (2x18650), all measured the same way.

Note the Polestar has a much lower lo mode - 9 estimated lumens in my lightbox (compared to the BC40's Lo mode 105 lumen estimate).

I am not going to redo the Polestar throw data, but I can estimate the drop in throw by the drop in lightbox lumen estimates over time. I have done previous calculations on other lights, and they match direct measurement - basically, raw lux at 1m changes linearly to my lightbox lumen estimates. In this case, the the drop-off in lumen output over the first 30 secs was 3% on Eneloop. You could therefore simply adjust down my raw lux numbers by a proportional amount (i.e. from 8400 lux at activation, to an estimated ~8150 lux at 30 secs). That would translate into an estimated Beam Distance for the Polestar of 181m.

Great review, as always. How does the Backup do heat-wise when doing deep runs? I avoided the TD-15X and went with the Cat v3 for that reason.
Can't say I've noticed anything unusual during handling, but of course all my runtimes are done under a cooling fan.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt,

Thanks for the quick reply! This is the most tempted I've been by a flashlight in a long time! It's 250 lumens brighter than my Polestar (which I consider a REALLY bright light), and has the forward clickie that I've been looking for.
Looks like it's time to sell off a few lights to fund this one.

houtex

Enlightened
Got mine yesterday and took it wih me to work last night. Lights up the inside of a car like the sun in my hand. I would like a smidge more throw though.

Any way to swap to a smooth reflector? Do they even offer one?

As always,great work SB.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this one, but have a quick questions first.

I noticed that Jetbeam now makes protected 18650 cells that are 2300mah. They have a nipple on the positive end, and are much cheaper (half the price) of similar AW cells. Does anyone know how these compare? Are they just as high quality as the cells AW makes, or are these cheaper quality batteries that are comparable to the ultrafire 18650?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
In response to an e-mail question I had on the absolute value of my lumen estimates in this review:

I do not have access to a calibrated integrating sphere to make exact measurements. As such, I provide only lumen estimates based on a comparison of my lights (in my lightbox) to others measured in calibrating spheres. This is explained in this link from the methods section of my review.

As always, I make no claim as to the absolute accuracy of the estimates (which are clearly labeled as such in my reviews). As there were few lights in this high output class of LED when I did the estimate analysis, it is possible the correlation correction factor may eventually need to be tweaked as more data comes in.

But the point of the estimate analysis is to provide a relative comparison between lights. In this case, the BC40 scored just slightly below the TK35 in my lightbox. This is consistent with a ceiling bounce test I did in a closet – again, the absolute values are not relevant, but the relative comparisons between the lights are what matter.

That being said, I do not consider the minor differences between lumen estimates for these high-output XM-L lights to be significant. They are all within 5% of each other in my lightbox (or within 7% of each other on my ceiling bounce scores). The effects of beam pattern, beam width, peak throw, etc make it very hard to accurately compare differences between the models (either by eye, or with such simple estimates of output).

As an aside, it is certainly true that you could make a better integrating sphere than a milk carton lightbox. The point of my lumen estimate analysis was just to allow the vast wealth of data collected in my lightbox over the years to be compared on an approximate lumen estimate basis (again, see the link from the review).

But due to the difficulties in accurately integrating different beam patterns into a single value (even with very expensive equipment), I suggest you take ALL lumen estimates with a grain of salt. Also, keep in mind we all talking about n=1 samples here - you need a much wider direct sampling of multiple lights to get a feel for the "natural" variation in shipping products. Given that the range of outputs I'm getting across lights are within the expected variation range of a single emitter output bin (not even taking into account circuit tolerances, optics, etc.), there clearly is no reason to believe the minor output differences in my tables are significant.

As always, I recommend you pick a light based on build, UI, and relative beam pattern.