Malkoff
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Triple Cree XM-L T6 Dropins for D size Mag-Lites

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Triple Cree XM-L T6 Dropins for D size Mag-Lites

Further to the above, would you recommend potting the driver, or should it be fine as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wallace View Post
    Further to the above, would you recommend potting the driver, or should it be fine as is?
    I've had no overheating problems so far with my unpotted driver running it continuously.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wallace View Post
    It's fine without potting but as always potting is always better

Quote Originally Posted by stefan34hd View Post
    Is it possible to get some extra reflectors as well in addition to the triple dropin when ordering? If yes, what would be the price? they would serve as reflectors for backup lights.

Thanks and regards

Stefan
    Yes that is possible. The reflectors cost 6€ each.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I've had no overheating problems so far with my unpotted driver running it continuously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Wichtel View Post
    It's fine without potting but as always potting is always better
    Many thanks.

Flashaholic

Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to pot the driver?

Flashaholic

PP sent for 1 Drop-in with version A driver, int'l shipping and reg. mail

Quote Originally Posted by tjhabak View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to pot the driver?
    Arctic Alumina (AA) thermal adhesive is generally the best thing for circuit boards as it has no capacitance. You won't be able to remove it afterwards though.

I guess you could use AA paste and then hold it on with small blobs of AA adhesive if you want to remove it later but it could get messy.

How many 18650 batteries (or any other batteries) will it take to power this triple XM-L for 2.5 hours?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeper5 View Post
    How many 18650 batteries (or any other batteries) will it take to power this triple XM-L for 2.5 hours?
    5 d-size batteries should give you the runtime you are looking for. I don't know if the will fit a 5D mag though.

Thanks for your answer DW

Mail send

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Der Wichtel View Post
    here is your registered mail id: RR7353 2051 7DE
    Hello DW,
    This is what I get with this number:

Label/Receipt Number: RR73 5320 517D E
    Service(s): Registered Mail™

We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.

Can I get an ETA, please.
    Thank you,
    Frank

sorry but I don't have any ETAs.

According to Deutsche Post website it's already in the US. The status hasn't changed since a couple of days yet.
    Ergebnis:

Sendungsnummer: RR7353 2051 7DE Die Sendung wurde im Zielland Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika erfasst. Sofern das Zielland keine Sendungsverfolgung bis zum Empfänger anbietet, ist dies der letzte verfügbare Sendungsstatus.

Flashaholic*

Thank you
    Frank

Now also available in neutral white!

yes to the nuetral!!!

Flashaholic

Has my drop-in shipped yet? Or can I get a neutral white unit? Thanks, Tom

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

What bin and tint are the neutral whites?

Thanks!

From first post:
    Update 03.06.11: Now also available in neutral white ( 5000k T5)

Quote Originally Posted by tjhabak View Post
    Has my drop-in shipped yet? Or can I get a neutral white unit? Thanks, Tom

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    sorry, your order has already been shipped.

hi der wichtel. im thinking of ordering a neutral white kit with the single driver. im in the usa and i just cant figure out exactly how much to paypal you.
    also, im thinking of running it the same as donn does, in a 3d with 4x26500, do i need to do anything to the tailcap? what would my runtime be with that setup? will it remain regulated for the full run and what would the otf lumens be? sorry for the ? but im a neebie when it comes to building. any beamshots of it?
    Last edited by hron61; 06-05-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Flashaholic*

The price is 80 Euros for the single mode drop in, and 3.45 Euros for shipping. You then have the option of paying an additional 2.05 Euros to use registered mail.

So, 83.45 Euros shipped, or 85.50 Euros with registered mail.

With regards to using four IMR (I'm assuming that we are talking about AW IMR cells?) 26500 cells in a 3D Maglite, you are going to need to heavily crop the spring to have space for four C cell batteries. If you have an original tail spring, or a middle generation spring (the type that has three parallel, tight coils at top and bottom of the spring), you can remove the large coil from the bottom the spring (the last large coil in the case of the newer springs), bend up the inner coil, and use that as your spring.

You might be able to get away with just reversing the spring in the tail cap and using it without any modification to the spring. In that case, I would recommend stripping the anodising from inside the tailcap with sodium hydroxide based drain cleaner. Be careful not to get that on yourself - wear gloves.

Other options would be to modify the spring so that you can drop it in to the base of the tailcap (or you could purchase and use a MagC spring) - again, you would need to strip the anodising from the cap.

I'll leave the rest for DW to answer.

tried to read how to mod the switch, still don't see that is a reliable mod. at a loss....

Thanks Stephen for your help.

As for the regulation, yes the light will stay in regulation with 4 lithium ion batteries until they are empty

Flashaholic

My kit arrived this morning, and i have just finished installing it into a 4D Mag (using 4xLiIon). I modified the standard Mag switch for use with the Ver.A driver, and added a glass AR coated lens. When I turned it on, the amount of light coming from the front was simply impressive for something that took under an hour to build.

I did a ceiling bounce test with a cheap light meter to compare light output to an Olight SR90, and the readings indicated the triple XM-L Mag kit was putting out about 50% more light (at about 28W). Of course the SR90 has a tighter focus and better throw, but the DerWichtel Mag Triple XM-L kit puts out more light and at a lower overall cost. Very nice kit, thanks Yitao.
    Last edited by wolfy; 06-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    My kit arrived this morning, and i have just finished installing it into a 4D Mag (using 4xLiIon). I modified the standard Mag switch for use with the Ver.A driver,
    Which method do you use for modifying the switch? The one in the first post?

Flashaholic

I didnt read the first thread, but after looking at it, my method is very similar. Electrically my method does the same thing, I just dont have to drill as many holes through the switch. Also the method for setting it up as a momentary switch is pretty much the same.

My method I did still drill a hole through for a positive feed from the spring, but straightened the bottom metal contact (that normally contacts the positive plate) and turned the locking nut plate around and soldered the longer contact (which normally runs up the stalk to the bulb) to the straightened contact plate. This way I can solder the negative from the driver to the short stub from the locking screw, the positive to the wire running from the spring (and only hole that needs to be drilled) and the control to the center contact at the top of the switch.
    Last edited by wolfy; 06-06-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added mod details

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I didnt read the first thread, but after looking at it, my method is very similar. Electrically my method does the same thing, I just dont have to drill as many holes through the switch. Also the method for setting it up as a momentary switch is pretty much the same.

My method I did still drill a hole through for a positive feed from the spring, but straightened the bottom metal contact (that normally contacts the positive plate) and turned the locking nut plate around and soldered the longer contact (which normally runs up the stalk to the bulb) to the straightened contact plate. This way I can solder the negative from the driver to the short stub from the locking screw, the positive to the wire running from the spring (and only hole that needs to be drilled) and the control to the center contact at the top of the switch.
    Thanks. Will study it with a switch on hand when I am free.

For use in unknown forests, the 4300K tint is the best. For me a neutral will be 000LT40F5. 5000K is too blue.

Got my drop in. This is a killer light. It puts out a massive amount of light. I am using it in a 4d mag. Good work Der Wichtel!!
    I'm glad it is dark, half of the time.