LA Police Gear
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logan QTC

Default Re: Logan QTC

The standard ship is narrow that's what the factory shipped me I have asked for a few mediums in the next shipment. I think
    that the beam is alot more pleasing in narrow. More defined hotspot That's just me.
    Bob
    -- RMSK, INC. --
    1-502-327-0135

yeah, that might be your preference but mine is flood. I'd like a medium instead of narrow. I wish this was disclosed before I bought mine as I would have never purposely bought a narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    yeah, that might be your preference but mine is flood. I'd like a medium instead of narrow. I wish this was disclosed before I bought mine as I would have never purposely bought a narrow.
    You could have asked before you purchased it. Bob has been very helpful for any of my questions. I've contacted him via email, phone and his chat customer service. He's almost always available during normal daytime hours.
    Ask me about custom kydex.

Never thought of asking as nothing was disclosed so you'd have to assume medium was standard and wide or narrow would naturally be special requests with medium being the norm.

Never thought of asking as nothing was disclosed so you'd have to assume medium was standard and wide or narrow would naturally be special requests with medium being the norm.
    I can understand that.
    I noticed that some of his standard Eigers came in narrow and medium, so I asked to make sure that I was getting was a narrow QTC Eiger.

I would be unhappy if I received a narrow beam as well. So thank you for bringing this up before I placed my order for a SS Logan.

I have a question for you others with QTC logans. Have you noticed this?

As I slowly tighten the head, I get a nice gradual increase in brightness until about 1/3 or 1/2 brightness, then it jumps to full power and doesn't get brighter. Slowly loosen the head and I get a jump from full brightness to about 1/2 or 1/3 power and then a gradual decrease until the light is off.

Anybody? Thanks.

Well my mind is made up for a Logan 17500 SS pocket. I was thinking it may be a bit heavy for EDC but I have smaller lights for that. It just looks fantastic in SS and I like the heft when using a small light. The 17500 should fit nice in the hand with the slightely longer length and wider diameter. The extended runtime is nice too.

If the beam is similar to my El Captain narrow optic, I will be a happy camper since it has a great balance of spill and throw. Even if it is a bit more narrow that is a plus to me. The one thing I would prefer is a glass lens. My 2 or more year old El Captain shows scratches even with infrequent pocket carry.

Now the wait begins.
    Last edited by regulator; 06-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by netprince View Post
    I have a question for you others with QTC logans. Have you noticed this?

As I slowly tighten the head, I get a nice gradual increase in brightness until about 1/3 or 1/2 brightness, then it jumps to full power and doesn't get brighter. Slowly loosen the head and I get a jump from full brightness to about 1/2 or 1/3 power and then a gradual decrease until the light is off.

Anybody? Thanks.
    I would like to hear from others how this works. I have heard it is jumpy, but this sounds broken, for a lack of a better term.

FWIW, I replaced the small qtc square that came with my logan with a piece I picked up in the marketplace. Now my Logan ramps perfectly from low to high every time. The piece that came with the logan had a hole in it, looks like it was punched with a tiny hole punch. I am guessing the hole is to help keep the qtc centered between the two metal discs. The new piece has no hole, but I am giving it a try anyway, we'll see how it holds up...

FWIW, I replaced the small qtc square that came with my logan with a piece I picked up in the marketplace. Now my Logan ramps perfectly from low to high every time. The piece that came with the logan had a hole in it, looks like it was punched with a tiny hole punch. I am guessing the hole is to help keep the qtc centered between the two metal discs. The new piece has no hole, but I am giving it a try anyway, we'll see how it holds up...
    From what Bob at em-mgt.com told me, that foam donut is not the QTC but rather just a cushion for the battery to keep from rattling. The QTC apparently is in side the metal and plastic disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
    From what Bob at em-mgt.com told me, that foam donut is not the QTC but rather just a cushion for the battery to keep from rattling. The QTC apparently is in side the metal and plastic disc.
    You are correct, I was not talking about the foam donut. I'll admit it did confuse me for a minute or two upon first receiving the light. The QTC is inside the two metal discs which are secured together by the plastic ring.

You are correct, I was not talking about the foam donut. I'll admit it did confuse me for a minute or two upon first receiving the light. The QTC is inside the two metal discs which are secured together by the plastic ring.
    Gotcha. I didn't know the disc can be taken apart. Good to know.

The hole was put in to lower the pressure required to operate the light.
    The punched out slug is used in the Eiger QTC pill, also to lower the
    operating pressure. We are only working with a few thousands of an
    inch between off and full power. If the QTC material is slightly thin than
    the full range of adjustment may be limited. There is only 0.015 inches
    between off and full on when the two metal disks make contact.

Curt
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me a PEAK flashlight, or give me the dark.

I had the skipping problem, as well. I took the foam donut and the QTC Plastic/Metal contraption out, as well as the inside of the foam donut cut out that was placed in the key ring slot. I cleaned the inside of the SS tube out with alcohol and a Q-Tip. I did the same with the QTC contraption. It works perfectly now. Also, FWIW, I used nano oil on the threads - I don't think it helped or hurt either way, but noticed someone else posted they used it. I usually use stuff I purchased at Radio Shack many years ago. Right now, I'm debating on a SS Eiger lug. From my experience with the Logan SS Key Ring model, I am very happy and feel anyone else will be, too.

Flashaholic

I just got a HAIII version in, thanks to my buddy Death's Head (RMSK dont ship overseas). I dont know what type of beam it is but its plenty floody enough for me. I really like the light. The beam is fantastic. The only niggle is on very low it flickers, so no reading with it. But when you ramp it up slightly the flicker is less noticeable. You just have to be careful in how you twist the head to get the level you want.
    Wolf Eyes Raider 9DX / Surefire L2 / Novatac 85P / HDS 42XR / Peak LED Caribbean brass / Fenix L2D Rebel / Peak LED Matterhorn 3LED HA / Inova X03 / Inova X5 / Fenix E1

I was going to purchase the logan qtc, but then I saw the shipping cost. I'm on a budget and simply can't spend that much on shipping. Such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by duro View Post
    I was going to purchase the logan qtc, but then I saw the shipping cost. I'm on a budget and simply can't spend that much on shipping. Such a shame.
    Same thing happened to me. I had it in my cart, but didn't buy once I saw the egregious shipping charge.

Flashaholic*

In hindsight I agree, the shipping costs are ridiculous. I buy from Pila's US distributor and FedEx ground is included in the price no matter how big or small the order. My package came in 3 days from OH to CA, through TN (Main FedEx hub). Look on a map and you'll see what I mean. UPS takes 1 week.
    Last edited by dudemar; 12-20-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Double post
    Last edited by duro; 12-20-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Flashaholic*

You can always check the marketplace for used peaks. Save on the shipping. There were a couple there last night when I looked.

eala

Yeah, looking for high cri all black ha logan. Hard to come by on the marketplace....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12