The Incandescent Tribute Challenge

carrot

Flashaholic
With Surefire chopping their incandescent lights from their lineup, we are at the end of an era. Let's pay tribute to the technology that brought us this far in the way we flashaholics know best, by shining lights in each others' eyes! Err, I mean, by using our flashlights!

This week's challenge is to carry any incandescent light of your choice. Use it exclusively!

Rules:
- Pick an incandescent light or lights.
- Post pictures.
- Stick to this light or lights exclusively for one week or more.
- Report back!
- NO LEDS ALLOWED!

m3t45lxlarge403.png

If you need a hint, any of these and more qualify: Maglite Mini, Maglite 6D, Surefire E1e, Surefire E2e, Surefire G2, Surefire 6P, Surefire M6, Streamlight Scorpion, Streamlight Stinger, Streamlight TL-3, Streamlight Strion. To head off any questions about the Surefire A2, you may only use it if you choose to take out the LED ring or promise really hard to never use the LED mode.

If you do not have an incandescent light you can buy one for $1 at Walmart, or you can choose to finally taste an incandescent Surefire in all its warm toasty glory. However, for some this is a great excuse to buy a new flashlight! A lot of dealers are closing out incandescent Surefires (check the MP), so now is a great time to finally try a Surefire incan.

The cheapest 6V incandescents that I can think of are the UK 4AA, Streamlight Propolymer 4AA, Surefire G2, Streamlight Scorpion, and Brinkmann Lithium (used to go by Maxfire or Legend LX, but is easiest to find by searching "Brinkmann Lithium"). And of course the Energizer Dolphin "6V Torch" and similar style that use the huge 6V batteries. Let me also make it clear, feel free to use any battery type or size you like.

Feel free to start this one week challenge late. Any incandescent light will do.

No LEDs allowed at all this week!!! After the wild success of The 5mm Challenge we are suddenly taking a sharp left out of the LED zone and entering the land of glowing tungsten. If your primary light goes out for any reason I expect you to pull out a backup incandescent light!!! Using LEDs under any non-emergency circumstance is not allowed.

Bonus points if you pick something unusual. More bonus points if you swap out your LED keychain light for a Maglite Solitaire!!!

Most importantly, post about your experiences. Share in the glory of the golden hotwire.

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
As luck would have it, I put a Surefire E1e in my pocket yesterday. I used it last night, and have it with me today too. There's a Brinkmann (Maxfire?) converted to 18650 with a Streamlight lamp in it nearby in case the lamp in my Surefire goes out.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Idea Carrot! I'm one step head of you, as I have recently been EDC'ing my M3, recently acquired old-school E1e, and have always carried a G2R-OD to work (knowing the value of a reliable incan). Going to swap out my LED EDC's, and throw my E2E w/ MN02 and a G2 in the mix. Will post a pic momentarily.

Going to put a P60 in my 9Z turned 7Z as well...which in itself, is a tribute to SF's modularity...which apparently is in steep decline as well.

Left to right: G2R-OD, 6PR, M3 w/ MN10, 9Z w/ A20 running a P60, G2-OD, E2e w/ MN02, vintage E1e.

HPIM1865.jpg

(Although I usually only carry one or two incans, I really do carry this many lights to work...1) You never know, and 2) I'm a flashaholic :0)

I will be using/EDC'ing these until next Monday, NO LED's will be used, and will report back on my findings/observations. I have my stock M6 and M4 loaded for back-up duty, and a fully loaded SC1 that will be going in my bag, since needing spares is more of a likely scenario now. I also have an Eagle Industries Admin pouch that will be loaded with 3 spare B65's for my R/C's.

Quick ?: Can we still fondle/play with our LED's, as long as we don't "use them", and they never leave the house???

Too those also participating, spares is a MUST this week...especially EDC'ing only incans. Thanks for the awesome Idea Carrot. I think people will become more fond of there Incans after this!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
You may have to revoke my Flashaholic card... Not an Incan to be had at casa scout24! I may do some shopping, this sounds like a fun one...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! I'm going to configure my old E2e with a 150 lumen bulb that runs off 3.7v rechargeable batteries. :)

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, Back to the 80's :cool:. I have several former EDUses. I did EDC a mag solitare, which will go back to keyring. I have many larger flashlights that are still kept in vehicles and in around the house and see use. I will upload a photo later this evening showing all.

My big problem is what to replace my EDC Q123NW RCR with? I don't have anything small enough to fit my current belt holster. I don't own any hosts :shakehead. If you think of like an illness, my flashaholism is at stage 3:eek:. I do have many 2AAs, but they are too large to belt carry. Need some input from you guys. I will try a minimagAA which I think I still have a holster for.
GL

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go pick up a G2 real quick...there's got to be some place around that carries them? Or a Streamlight equivalent? A small 2-CR123 Pocket Rocket?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
*shrug* Business as usual! :D

I don't leave the house without these two clipped to my pocket.
55944694.jpg

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I can't participate, all my less used lights, including many incandescent ones of different quality and brightness are at my parents' place (I'm a student, far away from home.). The only incandescent light I have here is a 2xAAA pen-light, no way I'm gonna carry that, it doesn't even have a switch that can be locked on.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once my M6 arrives I will attempt this challenge.
I will still edc my normal lights, but avoid using them.

In addition I will also run my A2, (with UV LEDs in the onion ring, rather than removing it entirely) as a primary edc and the M6 as a secondary (once it and the battery carrier arrive)
Hopefully I will have a run of night shifts, rather than having to try and edc the M6 during the day.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I could go with my M6 LOLA setup. But size is an issue. For practicality. I think I will go with a G2/C variant, Eseries, Aviator or perhaps my SF Crosshairs 9N.

oldways

Enlightened
Since I always carry and use incand its no challenge for me;)

This is a neat thread:thumbsup:

For the next week i will use

A2
8AX
M3T
M6...there's nothin you can't fix with a SF M6:grin2:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be able to partake of this one if I can find a way to slip it in between reviews. My only incan though is an A2 with White LEDs. I'll have to just force myself to press past the low beam if I try it.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea! My Streamlight doesn't get half the use it should. I can also revert my 6P with the original bulb (and get rid of some primaries at the same time), but getting used to more than 3" long lights on my belt will probably be the bigger part of the challenge.

I will definitely fail, however, when my IFE2 arrives -provided it gets here this week - unless I can be permitted to at least test my new lights.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will officially start the challenge now. Here is what I will be using:

Surefire E2e, older style with twisty tail cap, Lumensfactory 150 lumen bulb, 2xIMR16340, F04 diffuser:

Beam shot without the diffuser (not the whole beam, the spill extends way out, this is the hot spot with corona:

Beam shot with F04 diffuser:

If this bulb proves to be too bright, even with the diffuser in place, I might have to go back to the stock bulb which is around 60-65 lumens, but then I would have to use primaries.

I purchased this E2e before I was officially a flashaholic, or at least before I ever heard of the term flashaholic. :) I always liked flashlights, and the E2e was my first Surefire and first high end flashlight. Before the E2e I had a 3C Maglite, and before that just your average plastic store bought flashlights that my parents bought for household use. So when I saw I could get this little flashlight that would put out 65 lumens, I was really excited! It wasn't until years later when I came across the Fenix P1D-CE with a XR-E P4 that I officially became a flashaholic and discovered CPF.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Alright Carrot, I'm in. I should have an E1E head for one of my many bodies later this week thanks to Scott (Milkyspit). I tried several of our finest retailers for a whole E1E, and they are backordered or just plain don't stock them... Big thanks to Milky for parting with one on zero notice, I'll post when I'm playing! :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Carrot's last challenge I made it the entire week only using my ARC GS. For this challenge I may mix in some other incans, but I want to try and primarily use my E2e. I dug around to see what I could put together as far as incans. I came up with a 2xAA Minimag incan that I put tape over the lens to diffuse and cut down on the lumens. If I need to check on the kids at night, etc, I will use this so I don't blind myself. I also have a stock Surefire 6P incan, an Ultrafire WF-500 with a 630 bulb lumen Lumensfactory bulb, and a Mag85.

My quick and cheap Scotch tape diffuser: