• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Vote for your favorite Haiku and emitter

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
01. 3V 1x123 Haiku
02. 3V 2xAA Haiku
03. 6V 2x123 Haiku
04. 6V 2x14500 Haiku

05. Cree XR-E
06. Cree XP-G
07. Nichia 119
08. Cree XM-L

Choose a body and an emitter.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted for the set-up I have. 3v 1x123 and XP-G (warm)! Absolutely love it! I wouldn't mind trying one of each though! :devil:

chef4850

Enlightened
I recieved a 6V XM-L 2x123 a couple of days ago and I have to say, I love this XM-L emitter. It is just a much more useful beam profile (at least for me). A VERY smooth transition from spot to spill and the spill is very bright.

Don work is just wonderful and with the addition of the XM-L it just keeps getting better and better.

I also have a 6V XM-L 2x123 Mule that I have been using for a few week and if I have to choose one over the other (6V XM-L Haiku) I would go with the Mule. I personally find the beam of the Mule a bit more useful for me. Most of my use is around the house (inside and out) so being able to light up a whole room apeals to me. Outside it would still go to the Mule. I live on a little over an acre and the mule will throw enough light to light up my yard. The low is incredible! Not sure what the runtime would be on low but I just changed the batts. for the first time and I use my lights on average 1-2 hours a day. Just seems to last forever.

Overall a supurb emitter! Just needs you to choose the body you want.

Chef

scout24

Flashaholic
1x123 XP-G for me... I've owned half a dozen Haikus, and maybe 20 McGizmos in my time here, and this light is the sole remaining Ti McGizmo I own. Others are certainly beautiful, and a case can be made for the purity and asthetics of the PD, but this light just plain works so well. Fits the hand and the pocket perfectly, is dim enough on low and more than bright enough on high. The XP-G beam is absolute perfection in a true EDC... Policescannerman, I believe, coined the term "Punchy Flood" to describe it. Took me one night of use to decide to sell my XP-E. Enough reach, but very useful spill as well. It's been my almost constant carry light since I got it, and I don't see anything replacing it for the forseeable future. I've tried many other lights, from many other sources, and keep coming back... PS- I kept my 2xAA Ti pack, too. Awesome versatility...

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be wonderful if there is a 1x18650 clicky body for the Haiku? The 2xAA body looks too skinny and the clip looks out of place, thats just IMHO.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Wouldn't it be wonderful if there is a 1x18650 clicky body for the Haiku?
I've thought exactly the same thing. Haven't measured the tube to see if there's enough wall thickness (at the O-ring) to bore. And haven't asked Don's opinion on this, although I'm eager to hear what he thinks.

Ti is tough to bore on a good day, so this might be done on the Haas CNC lathe at work ... if it's done at all.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been discussed in another thread.

The problem lies where the e-series head joins the body...including the threads...the 18650 size dictates a pretty thin wall left over. Don doesn't see this as being doable, and he has a point.

His Clicky-packs are thick and probably bomb proof. Machining away enough to make it fit a 18650 necessitates a pretty thin tube at the head. It would go against the design principles inherent in his work. He makes TOUGH as nails lights.

I got an 18650 e-series tube from Steve Ku. It works GREAT with my McGizmo heads, but the trade-off mentioned above is something you feel. The tube is thin compared to Don's Clicky packs. Does it work? Like butter. But it's not in line with how Don builds lights.

If I compare this to a 2x123 Clicky pack, one is thick and one is thin for sure. On the other hand, the form factor for the 18650 has been optimized to result in a very very small additional size for this battery upgrade.

obi

fyrstormer

Banned
3V 1x123 body, XP-G emitter. My XP-G is actually a 6V, but as much as I use my 3V XR-E I might as well vote for the 3V XP-G; if I'd jumped on the Haiku bandwagon after the XR-E version was obsoleted, I wouldn't have regretted getting the XP-G at all.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
This has been discussed in another thread.

The problem lies where the e-series head joins the body...including the threads...the 18650 size dictates a pretty thin wall left over. Don doesn't see this as being doable, and he has a point.

His Clicky-packs are thick and probably bomb proof. Machining away enough to make it fit a 18650 necessitates a pretty thin tube at the head. It would go against the design principles inherent in his work. He makes TOUGH as nails lights.

I got an 18650 e-series tube from Steve Ku. It works GREAT with my McGizmo heads, but the trade-off mentioned above is something you feel. The tube is thin compared to Don's Clicky packs. Does it work? Like butter. But it's not in line with how Don builds lights.

If I compare this to a 2x123 Clicky pack, one is thick and one is thin for sure. On the other hand, the form factor for the 18650 has been optimized to result in a very very small additional size for this battery upgrade.

obi
I agree, but the runtime with a 18650 is worth it-just don´t drop it because the wall thickness at the bottom of the o-ring groove is only 0.225mm.. My favorite pure McGizmo combi is the XP-G/1RCR123.

Last edited:

non

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with 17670s, do they not improve capacity over two cr123s enough to be worthwhile?

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no experience with 17670s, do they not improve capacity over two cr123s enough to be worthwhile?

Two rechargeable R123 cells gives you 7.4 (8.4) volts and 750mah and will work with some of McGizmo 6 volt LE's. The S27 Cx2 and the 27LT both have a warning that the 6 volt LE's might have a problem with two rechargeable cells, but work fine with two primary cells.

To drive a 3v LE you can use one R123 3.7 (4.2) volts at 750mah or a larger 17670 3.7 (4.2) volts at 1600mah (AW's cells).

So a 3v Haiku should run twice as long using a 17670.

Some people use a 17670 to drive a 6v LE, because of the caution I stated above and the power pack that comes with those lights will accommodate the longer 17670.

Frank

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed this thread - cool thread - thanks, Drywolf! I voted for the 1x123 XPG, but I would like to refine that - the WARM XPG! I have 4 Haikus, all different, and I love and use them all. XRE, XPG, XML (6V) and XPG Warm, but the warm XPG has (for me at least) the nicest tint coupled with that perfect punchy flood (PSM's perfect description). Oh, and I use 1 AW RCR in mine.
Love that tint.....
IMG_5651-1.JPG