Fitorch        
Page 1 of 17 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire boring service

Default SureFire® boring & machining services

I can bore, ream & hone your Fury/6P/C2/M2/C3/M3/U2/M4 (and most other models) to accept the AW18650 or similar diameter 18mm cell. The smaller tube L1/A2/E-series can be bored for either a 17mm protected cell or for a standard size 18mm cell (like the AW2900 mAh or AW3100 mAh) but they cannot be bored for the much larger 3400 mAh cell. PM's are disabled so please click on the "contact" page at www.PrecisionWorks

PLEASE NOTE: This is the original thread started in May 2011. Some services that were offered before are no longer available (trit slot milling, bead blasting, etc.). Please refer to the current thread for up to date info on boring: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...itanium-lights

Please refer to the separate thread for info on mechanical mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...dding-Services

NOTE #1: most machining mods don't require the entire light. Please ship only the parts to be machined. Removal of the clip, O-rings, combat rings, etc. is greatly appreciated.

NOTE #2: all standard machining mods are listed in this post. I'll be happy to look at any idea you have & quote a price. Please understand that custom mods often cost much more than standard mods.

My shop primarily provides trouble shooting, emergency repairs & fabrication to local area business owners. Flashlights are machined whenever the time is available, meaning that your light may not be machined for many weeks after arrival - some lights may wait here for 30 days or longer before they can be machined. Please don't send your light if you need it back by a date certain. Lights are machined in the order in which they arrive.

Boring:
    Two cell
    lights like the 6P/C2/M2/Z2/A2/E2 are $42 + shipping. This includes the U2/Kroma.

Three cell lights like the 9P/C3/M3 are $52 + shipping.
    Also the small tube lights bored to 18mm.

Four cell lights, like the M4, are $62 + shipping.

SF A19 extender is
    $10 when bored with a light or $15 if bored by itself.

Tritium slot machining:
    Prices are shown for aluminum slots. Titanium or stainless slots are twice the price of aluminum. The two most popular sizes are 1.5x5mm & 1.5x6mm. For head/body/tail installation the 1.5x6mm provides 20% more lighted area - at this time only
    Steve Ku offers the 1.5x6mm (in white, pink, red, orange, yellow, purple, blue, ice blue & green).

1.5x5mm slots are $12 each
    1.5x6mm slots are $15 each
    2x6mm slots are $22 each
    2x8mm slots are $26 each
    2x12mm slots are $30 each
    2x24mm slots are $36 each

Installing your trits using Norland Optical Adhesive:
    1.5x5mm or 1.5x6mm trits - $18 each
    2x6mm trits - $22 each
    2x8mm trits - $26 each
    2x12mm trits - $30 each
    2x24mm trits - $36 each

SWM V10R Ti mods:
    Custom groove mod & remove SWM etching - $50
    Ultra groove mode & remove SWM etching - $75
    Machine crenelations in bezel & remove SWM etching - $40/8 slots or $50/12 slots
    Remove SWM bezel etching only - $15
    Mill trit slots in either tail shroud or forward collar - see prices above.
    Drill & tap two holes #4-40 tpi for McGizmo or Mac's titanium pocket clip - $60

Please send the trits you want me to install or have the trits shipped to me. These CPF members have a good selection of sizes & colors:
    B@rt
    Merkava
    Steve Ku

Return shipping by USPS small flat rate box is $6.00 for USA customers. International shipping is available at the current rate as long as your light will fit into the USPS Flat Rate box.

You can post questions here or you may click on the contact page on my website. The contact page also has the shipping address & PayPal button. Also accepted are your check or money order if you prefer that instead of PayPal.

SWM V10R Ti Ultra groove mod (left) compared to Custom groove mod (right):

8 slot crenelation with SWM etching removed:

An L1 held in the custom bored Delrin soft jaws:

A bored/reamed/honed 6P. The dark ring at the far end of the tube is the battery retention lip that is left whenever possible.

An E2L bored for a 2900 mAh AW18650:

® SUREFIRE is a registered trademark of SureFire, LLC, 18300 Mount Baldy Circle, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
    Last edited by precisionworks; 12-13-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Twin Trit Tail info
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Default Re: Surefire boring service

Thanks Barry, putting my M2 in the mail to you tomorrow.

Banned

Do you offer any bulk discount, or combined shipping? I assume at this price it will be bored the same day, and shipped the following day? If so, I could be interested, as I am very impatient.

putting my M2 in the mail to you tomorrow.
    That sounds great, Chris

Do you offer any bulk discount, or combined shipping?
    For 5-9 lights that are shipped together, take 5% off. For 10 lights or more, take 10% off.

I'll certainly combine shipping whenever possible. Just a wild guess, but probably 10 lights would fit into a Medium Flat Rate box, with substantial packaging, for $10.

I assume at this price it will be bored the same day, and shipped the following day?
    I will guarantee that ... just double the price

Seriously, my normal turnaround is 2-3 days. Your light (or lights) will be shipped no later than the day following machining. I appreciate what you say about impatience, and every job that comes into my shop is important to the person that needs their work done. At the same time, enlarging a thin walled tube is not a job that any machinist wants to rush through. The method I use is not the quickest nor the easiest, but it consistently produces high quality results, while maintaining both the integrity and the appearance of the light.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 08-06-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Can you bore a 3P?

Can you bore a 3P?
    The 3P should bore out just as nicely as a 6P (or 9P). I am set up to bore to an inside diameter of 0.738" (18.75mm), although other ID's can also be bored. What battery are you planning to use? Can you measure the battery outside diameter & post back that dimension?

For those that are unable to measure a battery diameter - would it be wise to ship the battery with the light being bored out?
    Now I can see the darkness .

would it be wise to ship the battery with the light being bored out?
    It certainly would, Will. That allows me to accurately measure the battery & then add a very slight allowance for clearance.

That's a great suggestion

PM sent!

PM replied to

Ken asked if a 3-piece body could be bored, and I believe it can. If anyone reading this is unsure about the body they want bored, please send it to me along with the batteries that will be used. I will measure the body & bore if possible. Or I will return the body and batteries at my expense if the body cannot be bored.

Sweet, I have a couple other things going on flashlight wise, as soon as I'm ready, I will PM you for your shipping addy to send my 3P and a AW 18350!

Just for future reference, will you be prepared to ship overseas ?

USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate box = $13.95

as soon as I'm ready, I will PM you for your shipping addy to send my 3P and a AW 18350!
    Sounds great :-)

will you be prepared to ship overseas ?

USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate box = $13.95
    No problem to work with international customers. The International Small Flat Rate box is a bargain, and probably two light bodies would fit inside with good packing. Shipping rates for international go up fast for the larger cartons.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 08-06-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Double post ... which happens when using an Android instead of a PC
    Last edited by precisionworks; 05-21-2011 at 06:29 PM.

I can also bore/ream/hone longer lights like the M3 or M4. They involve more machine time, so the cost is a little higher. $48 for the M3 and $56 for the M4, plus shipping. Same turnaround time, about 2-3 days in my shop, and return shipping within one business day after completion.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 08-06-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: corrected pricing

putting my M2 in the mail to you tomorrow.
    And returning your M2 in the mail this afternoon

My shop will be closed for the holiday (5/27 - 5/30) & I wanted to get the M2 back to Chris without the holiday delay. A few "after" photos ...

The last photo shows the small lip that was left in the bore. This gives the 18650 a positive forward stop. The RediLast battery is just slightly larger than an AW18650, but there is still .010" total clearance (or .005" radial clearance) which is more than enough room for an easy, drop in fit.

PoliceScannerMan's 3P was waiting at the Post Office today. Got it back to the shop, mounted it in the lathe, and will run it back to the Post Office before they close today

Wow! That is gorgeous.

Now this bad boy can run 18350's.

Sweet Ti PD in the background!

Now this bad boy can run 18350's.
    LOL

I recognize the Cryos Cooling Bezel, which is a very nice piece by itself. Who built the quad LE?

VanIsleDSM makes them. 5.6A quad XPG 1600+ OTF Lumens. It's insane for a light that small to put out that many lumens.

Flashaholic

Any thoughts on doing E2 bodies to 17670? They should only need 20mm in the tail end bored.

Cheers,
    Nova

doing E2 bodies to 17670?
    I haven't handled an E2 in some time, but the external appearance of the tube looks like it should work (for securing in the lathe). Pretty sure I'll have to bore a custom set of soft jaws for that size tube, but that's not a big deal ... my soft jaw collection is growing

They should only need 20mm in the tail end bored.
    Are you saying that only the first 20mm of the tube, on the switch end, needs to be enlarged? That can certainly be done. If you don't mind sending the complete light (plus the 17670's that you plan to use) that would be best ... I can measure, bore/ream/hone, and verify operation of the light. Same pricing as a 6P, $40 plus return shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    And returning your M2 in the mail this afternoon

My shop will be closed for the holiday (5/27 - 5/30) & I wanted to get the M2 back to Chris without the holiday delay. A few "after" photos ...

Thanks Barry, great job and super fast service!! When I threw that Redilast battery in there it was honestly wishful thinking on my part. I have a couple other bored Surefires from various modders and these fat Redilast cells usually don't fit well. But you made it fit perfectly, thanks again!

Euroken sent a message asking if I would "provide a boring service for non SF host ...and, second, whether you would bore a three piece body." The answers to those questions are YES and YES

I was initially concerned about maintaining adequate wall thickness, but measurements showed that the body could be bored/reamed/honed while still leaving good wall thickness. It took a little while to figure out the fixturing on the lathe, but nothing insurmountable.

these fat Redilast cells usually don't fit well.
    +1

They measure quite a bit larger in diameter than my "standard" AW18650. The AW cells end up with about .010" radial clearance, while the RediLast cells have just .005" (about the thickness of a business card). .005" is plenty of room, as there is .005" all the way around the cell. Happy to hear that you are pleased
    Last edited by precisionworks; 08-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Ohhh....that looks fantastic! Can't wait!

Pm sent regarding international shipping! I'm in NYC

Pm sent regarding international shipping! I'm in NYC
    LOL, that means you are NOT the member from London Which is better, as Priority Flat Rate is only $5.

That tube is nicely made and all the threaded joints fit together very well. You'll have fun with it, whether you use it as a 6P or a 9P.

PM replied to.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    I haven't handled an E2 in some time, but the external appearance of the tube looks like it should work (for securing in the lathe). Pretty sure I'll have to bore a custom set of soft jaws for that size tube, but that's not a big deal ... my soft jaw collection is growing

Are you saying that only the first 20mm of the tube, on the switch end, needs to be enlarged? That can certainly be done. If you don't mind sending the complete light (plus the 17670's that you plan to use) that would be best ... I can measure, bore/ream/hone, and verify operation of the light. Same pricing as a 6P, $40 plus return shipping.
    Yeah, the tail threads are small (CR123 won't fit through, about the same diameter as the threads), the batteries go through the head end. A 17670 fits 90% of the way but the body narrows near the tail threads. You will have to bore from the head end.

Cheers,
    Nova

You will have to bore from the head end.
    Nova, that shouldn't present any problems. My first concern on boring any light is to leave adequate thickness, especially at the O-ring groove (normally the thinnest part of any flashlight tube). Surefires have a (relatively) thick wall to begin with, and I use the minimum bore & ream diameter dimension that allows the battery to fit with just a bit of clearance.

If you want to ship your light, I'll be happy to examine it & determine if it can be bored (which I believe it can). If for any reason it cannot be bored, I'll pay the return shipping to Australia. The fastest way to contact me is an email to precisionworks AT frontier DOT com.

Got my 3P body back today, not bad, one week from shipment to receipt, with a holiday to boot.

Very clean work, no evidence the body was ever toouched, and the bored tube is super smooth, with a nice lip to hold the battery and make contact with the drop in.

Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Got my 3P body back today, not bad, one week from shipment to receipt, with a holiday to boot.

Very clean work, no evidence the body was ever toouched, and the bored tube is super smooth, with a nice lip to hold the battery and make contact with the drop in.

Thanks Barry!
    Got mine yesterday.

Very well done, with buttery smooth bore. No sign of any anno missing on the body as PSM mentioned. The bore fits all my 18650 batteries, even the ones that are slightly largeand would jam in my other bored hosts.

In addition, talk about communication and prompt responses! Great experience as a whole.

Look forward to possible e series bores!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 17 1234567811 ... LastLast