HDS Systems
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Sucks: --wanted--feedback on new prototype head!

Quote Originally Posted by archer6817j View Post
    Okay, so I got some carbon tube in the mail and I was feeling a little frisky today...

Nice! Reminds me of carbon fiber Mont Blanc pens!

Default Re: Dark Sucks: --wanted--feedback on new prototype head!

While I think your various versions of your flashlight is awesome and it's a great idea to offer those options, but I think you need to work on expanding your flashlight line to offer people more compact flashlight as well as high power flashlights that most of us crave.

I had thought about an all copper flashlight carrying 32650's and triple XM-L's...at modest 3 amp settings, easily get at least 2500 lumens from the emitter(technically closer to 2700 lumens).

Quote Originally Posted by cdrake261 View Post
    While I think your various versions of your flashlight is awesome and it's a great idea to offer those options, but I think you need to work on expanding your flashlight line to offer people more compact flashlight as well as high power flashlights that most of us crave.

I had thought about an all copper flashlight carrying 32650's and triple XM-L's...at modest 3 amp settings, easily get at least 2500 lumens from the emitter(technically closer to 2700 lumens).
    Just put my money down on an XM-L EDC from Mac or I'd be PMing you for a price on the carbon fiber model you have- my budget is shot for a while.

My dream light would be 100ml long or shorter, max out at about 1500 lumens, have a low mode of 10-15 lumens, mid of @ 200-300, peak at 1500, have random strobe at full option, more throw than spill but plenty of each without a hot spot & tritium insert in clickie either a rod or ball but capable of tail standing.

Easy right
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Though I think the above idea is a nice one, I don't think it would be a smart business move on your part. If youre not having great success with selling 18650 sized lights (one of the most commonly used batteries around here) it probably wouldn't be good to move into an area that utilizes an even less common size.

I think your lights look great and, based on the numbers, seem to perform quite well. I would definitely purchase one if I had the cash. The only thing I would change is the driver. Something a little more advanced than the commonly used SB driver would be nice but I'm not sure if that's possible or how that would affect pricing .

Edit: I was responding to cdrake
    Last edited by Dsoto87; 07-20-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsoto87 View Post
    Though I think the above idea is a nice one, I don't think it would be a smart business move on your part. If youre not having great success with 18650s (one of the most commonly used batteries around here) it probably wouldn't be good to move into an area that utilizes an even less common size.

I think your lights look great and, based on the numbers, seem to perform quite well. I would definitely purchase one if I had the cash. The only thing I would change is the driver. Something a little more advanced than the commonly used SB driver would be nice but I'm not sure if that's possible or how that would affect pricing .

Edit: I was responding to cdrake
    I'm still learning about all the technicality of batteries, LEDs, and drivers...but you could go with an taskled h6flex and set it for 2.8A or 3.6A as max or go with another driver to give you 2.8A-3.6A to hit the high 2500-2700 lumens. I would make the copper heatsink thread into the copper case with very minimal tolarance to allow maximum thermal transfer not just to the heatsink but to spread it throughout the whole flashlight casing. From there, you can machine ribs into the case to help cool things off, but for the battery, I would make a sleeve(plastic or if you can get your hands on it, ceramic) to keep heat away from the batteries. From my understanding, you would need 32650's for their higher capacity so you can have decent run times at higher lumens.

Expensive flashlight? Absolutely, but a high tech one at that plus I'm willing to bet you can get a longer continuous run time before it gets too hot to run compared to an aluminum flashlight counterpart.

But before you or anybody make a point about it being too heavy, ask yourself how many people actually carry a 2500+ lumens flashlight? I do not know very many honestly...

While a 500 lumen midsize flashlight is cool and everything, I find 500 lumen to be boring myself. You can either make bigger and brighter flashlights for the big "wow" factor, or keep them around 500 lumen and make the overall package smaller for the other "wow" factor

Jason, Don't get me wrong...I love your flashlights and would mind owning one, it's just that I'm the kind of person who want something outrageous and unique...

Quote Originally Posted by cdrake261 View Post
    I'm still learning about all the technicality of batteries, LEDs, and drivers...but you could go with an taskled h6flex and set it for 2.8A or 3.6A as max or go with another driver to give you 2.8A-3.6A to hit the high 2500-2700 lumens. I would make the copper heatsink thread into the copper case with very minimal tolarance to allow maximum thermal transfer not just to the heatsink but to spread it throughout the whole flashlight casing. From there, you can machine ribs into the case to help cool things off, but for the battery, I would make a sleeve(plastic or if you can get your hands on it, ceramic) to keep heat away from the batteries. From my understanding, you would need 32650's for their higher capacity so you can have decent run times at higher lumens.

Expensive flashlight? Absolutely, but a high tech one at that plus I'm willing to bet you can get a longer continuous run time before it gets too hot to run compared to an aluminum flashlight counterpart.

But before you or anybody make a point about it being too heavy, ask yourself how many people actually carry a 2500+ lumens flashlight? I do not know very many honestly...
    What keeps me from carrying a 2500 lumen light is price and size. Currently calculating and researching my next build around a VanIslDSM 1654 Lumen drop-in and a 6P style body unless I could get it to fit in an L2M from solarforce and make it fairly pocketable. Modooler 65 body is spendy but I'm calculating around $450 to $500 to make it with that drop in and a FETtie switch. Would love to make it with a Modooler 65 body, Triad tail and a cryos bezel but that would cost roughly another $160 bucks. It's an expensive addiction
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyhazzard View Post
    What keeps me from carrying a 2500 lumen light is price and size. Currently calculating and researching my next build around a VanIslDSM 1654 Lumen drop-in and a 6P style body unless I could get it to fit in an L2M from solarforce and make it fairly pocketable. Modooler 65 body is spendy but I'm calculating around $450 to $500 to make it with that drop in and a FETtie switch. Would love to make it with a Modooler 65 body, Triad tail and a cryos bezel but that would cost roughly another $160 bucks. It's an expensive addiction
    Sounds like an awesome flashlight... What I'm trying to say is there's Jason and there's several other flashlight venders who make excellent flashlights, but I take the original post as Jason asking how he can reinvent himself and separate himself from the other makers. I'm willing to bet that most people who own 2k+ lumen flashlights do not actually carry them like I would carry my fenix light. I still think Jason should continue to make the lights he makes now, but seeing how he's popular among everybody on the form, I think he should make high end, limited run, and stamped to mark what number flashlight that particular one is during that limited run.

I would suggest to make only 5 or 10 percent of the Normal flashlight he sells to be limited editions.

Ah. Good point. Nobody else would be making that super cool 500 lumen with that sweet bezel and a carbon fiber body that Jason could produce. That is a very fine and distinctive light. I would carry that in a heartbeat.

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

Love the last two lights you've posted~ Awesome work! i'm excited to see what you next offering is . . . .
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by smarkum View Post
    Love the last two lights you've posted~ Awesome work! i'm excited to see what you next offering is . . . .
    Thanks I'll be excited to actually figure out what my next offering is!

No price on the carbon light. The tubes I got are not "ideal" so if I did a run I'd have to order some custom tubes...currently looking into the cost for that. Each tube would be enough for about 10 lights.

The cost for the carbon body will undoubtedly be higher and that head takes a lot more machine work. If anyone has serious interest, let me know and I'll take a deeper look into actual pricing. My preliminary guess would be about $100 jump in price, for a total around $300.

Flashaholic*

Jason, if the tube has a larger ID than ideal then sleeve it with an aluminum tube which makes the CF mostly cosmetic. This will solve three issues: battery tube rattle; heatsink mass; body strength.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Jason, if the tube has a larger ID than ideal then sleeve it with an aluminum tube which makes the CF mostly cosmetic. This will solve three issues: battery tube rattle; heatsink mass; body strength.
    That's the plan, you are good The current tube is about .050" too small, so the light in the photo is just a mock up. But like you suggest, the carbon will basically be a jacket. The aluminum will still be nickel plated for corrosion resistance...unless people really want raw, but I wouldn't recommend it

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

Thanks I'll be excited to actually figure out what my next offering is!

No price on the carbon light. The tubes I got are not "ideal" so if I did a run I'd have to order some custom tubes...currently looking into the cost for that. Each tube would be enough for about 10 lights.

The cost for the carbon body will undoubtedly be higher and that head takes a lot more machine work. If anyone has serious interest, let me know and I'll take a deeper look into actual pricing. My preliminary guess would be about $100 jump in price, for a total around $300.
    If you make them I'd buy one. I don't know if that is serious interest or enough interest for you to look into the venture, but I like it a LOT! I'd definitely want to be one of the 10.
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Anyone else interested in a carbon body light?

So I guess I'll hijack my own thread and start using this one to show you guys what I'm working on in the "lab."

This first one is a flame colored Ti clip:

This is a prototype for a "raw machined" finish; no polishing, tumbling, or blasting. I'm considering having a local machine shop make these (instead of doing them in-house) and hopefully selling them for a slightly reduced price. What do you think?

I like the reduced price bare option the best.

It will be less expensive and I find it to be the pretiest yet!

I still rather have screw on pocket clips like Mac Customs, McGuizmo, Jetbeams, ect...

very nice indeed,
    bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

*COUGH copper 26650 P60 host COUGH*

I like that. A lot! I'll agree with bigC. A clip attached with screws would look nicer IMO. I think if the knurling was just a tad deeper then it would look real sharp.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Flashaholic*

I like that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    *COUGH copper 26650 P60 host COUGH*
    Do you mean a copper head or a complete copper light? Hope you have some $$$ lying around

Interestingly, I tested my solid copper head against the solid aluminum head...and I didn't detect any significant difference. This reminds me I need to do some more scientific testing, but that surprised me. What is says to me is that (unless you are soldering directly to copper) the heat sink material (Al vs Cu) might not matter that much. Of course looks and heft count as well

It probably wouldnt be nearly as interesting as making complete lights
    but a 26650 body with C head compatibility even in aluminum would probably
    sell pretty quick since they are pretty hard to come by. a Copper p60 head
    even just for bling factor might too. Sort of like the one Cryos sells.
    just thowing ideas out- sorry I meant to put it in yer other thread

So many of us already have lights we love and would just like to upgrade
    with a cool new Ti clip or copper head or big battery tube etc.

with all of the new high power drop-ins like the Van Isle DSM quad etc.
    the demand for 26650 hosts has probably gone up.

again sorry to hijack! the new head looks nice!

Flashaholic

Im impressed by the carbon body and the milled head, very unique look

I would generally agree that the ribbed body does not match the head. A plain head that would do jsut fine I think. I would think that an EDC should be relatively small and light so I would favor a smaller head would a lot of fancy details. The bezen crenelations are useful though.

The copper head looks cool, maybe more polished would be nice. It could even go with the ribbed body especially if polished but the diamond texture body looks a little too plain.
    The new head goes with the carbon fiber very well, but again I prefer less detail on the head given that the head is larger than the body.

Flashaholic

I dig that carbon one and the bare aluminum.. if you could offer both with a screw in clip with the option for a single cr123, that would make a nice looking edc....any plans Jason for a shorter light? You've clearly got the talent! I would be willing to sacrifice lumens for something thats a tad shorter..

I like the head on this light. I think it would match a little a better if the body was done in the same pattern, but then again you said prototype head not flashlight I retract my last statement. On a different note is the carbon fiber body of any significant weight difference than the al?
    Last edited by TheExpert; 11-12-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Jason,

This head really excites me a lot. And the Carbon Fiber Body or Knurled. I'll talk with you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by papageorgio View Post
    ....any plans Jason for a shorter light? You've clearly got the talent! I would be willing to sacrifice lumens for something thats a tad shorter..
    +1

Jason - Have you seen Mac's Customs' XML 18350 light? Something similiar to that size would be perfect for EDC. I'd buy one of those, but I have really enjoyed watching your company grow and would like to support it. Now, just make a mini-me light and I'm in.

Yeah, although I like both 18650 and smaller 123 sized. There is a need for smaller lights for edc. I seen Jason did make a prototype though looked pretty good.