Acebeam
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Gonna Buy Cool White Again! [Join Club Here]

Nana Not Gonna Buy Cool White Again! [Join Club Here]

I believe we've reached a point in the market place that we can buy just about any type of LED flashlight in neutral white, warm white, and Hi-CRI.

A few impressive lights are only available in Cool White, but I've decided from here on out I will wait for good tints to become available.

I've sworn off cool white CFL's years ago, and I've enjoyed the relatively warm light of soft white CFL's around my house. Even my nite-lites are upgraded to neutral!

I don't want cold light at home, at work, and my flashlight. From here on out, only Mother Nature is allowed to illuminate my environment beyond 6000K.

If you feel the same way, join the club by replying to this thread.

Perhaps you can change your signature to reflect your preference. Spread the word that you demand the best!
    Last edited by EngrPaul; 05-23-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Default Re: Not Gonna Buy Cool White Again! [Join Club Here]

Yea I decided a while ago all my LED's need to have at least a neutral if not warm tint. Even last Christmas the white led lights I bought were labeled "warm tint".

I recently got a 4500K drop-in and love it. I got a 3000K on the way. I found these work better for me since I work at night and have better color rendition.

I notice you all over the MP lately EngrPaul, you switching over to the "not-so-cool-side"?

after trying out warm tints, its hard for me to go back to neutrals. i still accept neutral tints, but prefer them 4000k and under.
    i didnt like any of the neutral tint XP-Gs i had, to my eyes they all look alittle green to me. it just wasnt the same as the XR-E/XP-E neutrals.

there are plenty of lights offered in neutral, but true warm LEDs are a rarity. most my lights are warm tint, and most have been modded, or are custom.

saying "bye bye" to cool tint lights also saved me a bunch of money. heheh

Of the last 10 or so lights I purchased, only 1 has been cool white.

I am done putting up with purple, blue, and green. I only buy neutral now.

Unfortunately, that takes good companies like 4sevens and HDS out of the running when I buy a light but many other brands like EagleTac, Fenix, Zebralight, Dereelight, Xeno, Malkoff, Lamdalights etc all sell neutral white lights.
    Last edited by tre; 05-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.

I think I'm with you - perhaps I've gone totally over the edge. Sold off a bunch of cool white lights this afternoon and find myself preferring incans. I realize this is the LED forum, but incans are my current obsession. High CRI LEDs and XPG R4s are very satisfying, too, as are Zebralight XPE warms....

Yep - I'm with you.

I agree, didn't know what all the fuss was over warm vs cool leds. But once you use the warmer versions you'll never go back, just so much easier on the eyes IMO.

WERRRRD!!

I just ordered a Spark NW460 XM-L headlamp as my warm
    lights seem to offer more contrast on muddy+rooty trails.

cool white dosent show wet/muddy patches nearly as well..

not sure I can take the lumen loss of the warm lights in most
    situations but the neutral seem like a good compromise.

my dual 5B tint XP-G is my fav light right now.
    hope the XM-L is as good.

Flashaholic*

I'm not only a member, I'm also the president!

Neutral for me - or no sale.

Neutral or warm all the way!
    EDC: Surefire e2l, Novatac P7/d2flex

Definitely count me in...I would even go as far as saying 'high
    CRI or Die!' Well, I guess that is a little too much, but I will definately strive to at least go neutral if the high CRI is not available. This has kept me from a few lights, but hopefully all manufacturers will catch on soon.
    If you have not tried going to the 'dark' (neutral/warm) side, you do not know what you are missing.

Flashaholic*

Don't forget to also replace your computer screen background with a nice, warm, orange tinted one...

Nap.

Double post

Hardly any lights are sold as high CRI meaning I'm considerably less tempted to buy new lights these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Don't forget to also replace your computer screen background with a nice, warm, orange tinted one...

Nap.
    Thats pretty funny!!

I find myself looking at lights these days and going "Man if it was only neutral/warm I would buy it in a second." I am finding it harder and harder to buy cool white lights. I honestly think I only own 2 cool white lights now as it is. I just got my ship notice today for my ZebraLight SC51c and cant hardly wait. I carry a 4 seven's warm turbo with an 18650 body and I love it! Bring on the neutral/warm tints!!

Enlightened

Does this mean that I'm a Charter Member? If so, this will be the first organization that I've ever been one.

I changed over to lights in the 4,000k to 4,500k range, and won't go back. To my eyes, they even appear brighter than a slightly higher bin cool white. Contrast is much better, and 3 dimensions rather than 2.

I'll find out about warm white when my Xeno E03 arrives, and I anticipate very good things.

Enlightened

BTW, Paul.

Is it a coincidence that this epiphany seems to have occurred at about the same time that you opened the package with your new WW E03 this afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by joco View Post
    BTW, Paul.

Is it a coincidence that this epiphany seems to have occurred at about the same time that you opened the package with your new WW E03 this afternoon?
    OK three things you should know:

(1) I ordered the light before my oath,
    (2) I bought 5 of these and only one was CW, and
    (3) It will be used as ammo for proving neutral and warm is better than cool!

Plus, as somebody else noted, I've been clearing house of CW flashlights, so that has to count for something!

I'm in.
    I'll go farther and say only high cri. Got a u2a with one and it seems as bright as my neutral jet3m. Q2 vs Q3.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wade11a View Post
    Thats pretty funny!!

I find myself looking at lights these days and going "Man if it was only neutral/warm I would buy it in a second." I am finding it harder and harder to buy cool white lights
    What's really funny is that my brain is strangely wired. I keep hearing that "neutrals" are best suited for outdoors and "cool" for indoors. For me it's the other way round. Maybe because somehow my eyes/brain are trained to expect cooler light outside (sunlight) and warmer inside (incandescent lighting) and they get confused/annoyed the other way round.

Nap.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, allright allready. Neutral for me. Cool tint just does not work with Mother Nature. Besides, she knows best don't she?

Low

Enlightened

I'm on board. I've saved hundreds of dollars since buying a Zebralight H501w about a year and a half ago. Since then, lots of interesting lights have come along, but if they're not available in warm, I'm not buying. Also, my computer screen background has been a rich, warm red for years.

Me too...I've even went from neutrals to warm. What makes it tough is that new emitters are always first released in cool white...so you have to wait for the newest stuff. Sometimes, I can't (the shakes won't stop), so I have to buy cool.

Another fan of warmer tones here. It amazes me that I still see new LED strip lights being put into food coolers in stores and they choose cool white for the job. It makes the food packages look a little ghastly IMO. Warmer tints might not have as much output but I prefer the warmer color rendition by far.

Warm and/or High CRI for me.

G27

Not sure it's accurate to say cool white is the best. Some (myself included) would say more lumens are the best.

I don't work for CSI so as long as I can see red is red, I want more output.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honour

Is it true that the lower the Kelvin temp the less efficient the LED?

Brightnorm

I only have VERY FEW white lights anymore and try to only keep the neutrals/warms. Even my Quark Ti 2x123 is now sporting an XP-E from a first run Neutral Quark AA2 now.

Count me in. My ZL SC51w is the perfect tint to me. It always looks right both indoors and out. I have scads of cool tinted lights and hesitate to even use them. Don't like the way they look anymore. They are now relegated to glove box, trunk, and back-up lights. If the new, must-have, fancy UI, high output, multi-featured, futuristic light doesn't come in neutrul/warm tint, I'm not interested.
    "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."

Im not in the club of never buying CW again, but I do prefer neutral tint's when possible. It all depends on the purpose I have for the light. My users must have a nice tint. Keep this in mind: you will never again buy a new Surefire. (Excluding SF P60 incans to upgrade to led). Im not ready for that proposition yet. The LX2 is really tempting me right now. A local buddy let me handle one recently, and it is definitely on the hit list now.....

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast