Not Gonna Buy Cool White Again! [Join Club Here]

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe we've reached a point in the market place that we can buy just about any type of LED flashlight in neutral white, warm white, and Hi-CRI. :thumbsup:

A few impressive lights are only available in Cool White, but I've decided from here on out I will wait for good tints to become available. :whistle:

I've sworn off cool white CFL's years ago, and I've enjoyed the relatively warm light of soft white CFL's around my house. Even my nite-lites are upgraded to neutral! :huh:

I don't want cold light at home, at work, and my flashlight. From here on out, only Mother Nature is allowed to illuminate my environment beyond 6000K. :D

If you feel the same way, join the club by replying to this thread. :grouphug:

Perhaps you can change your signature to reflect your preference. Spread the word that you demand the best! :party:

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I decided a while ago all my LED's need to have at least a neutral if not warm tint. Even last Christmas the white led lights I bought were labeled "warm tint".

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I recently got a 4500K drop-in and love it. I got a 3000K on the way. I found these work better for me since I work at night and have better color rendition.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice you all over the MP lately EngrPaul, you switching over to the "not-so-cool-side"?

after trying out warm tints, its hard for me to go back to neutrals. i still accept neutral tints, but prefer them 4000k and under.
i didnt like any of the neutral tint XP-Gs i had, to my eyes they all look alittle green to me. it just wasnt the same as the XR-E/XP-E neutrals.

there are plenty of lights offered in neutral, but true warm LEDs are a rarity. most my lights are warm tint, and most have been modded, or are custom.

saying "bye bye" to cool tint lights also saved me a bunch of money. heheh

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the last 10 or so lights I purchased, only 1 has been cool white.

I am done putting up with purple, blue, and green. I only buy neutral now.

Unfortunately, that takes good companies like 4sevens and HDS out of the running when I buy a light but many other brands like EagleTac, Fenix, Zebralight, Dereelight, Xeno, Malkoff, Lamdalights etc all sell neutral white lights.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm with you - perhaps I've gone totally over the edge. Sold off a bunch of cool white lights this afternoon and find myself preferring incans. I realize this is the LED forum, but incans are my current obsession. High CRI LEDs and XPG R4s are very satisfying, too, as are Zebralight XPE warms....

Yep - I'm with you.

flashnight

Newly Enlightened
I agree, didn't know what all the fuss was over warm vs cool leds. But once you use the warmer versions you'll never go back, just so much easier on the eyes IMO.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
WERRRRD!!

I just ordered a Spark NW460 XM-L headlamp as my warm
lights seem to offer more contrast on muddy+rooty trails.

cool white dosent show wet/muddy patches nearly as well..

not sure I can take the lumen loss of the warm lights in most
situations but the neutral seem like a good compromise.

my dual 5B tint XP-G is my fav light right now.
hope the XM-L is as good.

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
Definitely count me in...I would even go as far as saying 'high
CRI or Die!' Well, I guess that is a little too much, but I will definately strive to at least go neutral if the high CRI is not available. This has kept me from a few lights, but hopefully all manufacturers will catch on soon.
If you have not tried going to the 'dark' (neutral/warm) side, you do not know what you are missing.

Napalm

Enlightened
Don't forget to also replace your computer screen background with a nice, warm, orange tinted one...

Nap. :crackup:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hardly any lights are sold as high CRI meaning I'm considerably less tempted to buy new lights these days.

Kalsu

Enlightened
Don't forget to also replace your computer screen background with a nice, warm, orange tinted one...

Nap. :crackup:

Thats pretty funny!!

I find myself looking at lights these days and going "Man if it was only neutral/warm I would buy it in a second." I am finding it harder and harder to buy cool white lights. I honestly think I only own 2 cool white lights now as it is. I just got my ship notice today for my ZebraLight SC51c and cant hardly wait. I carry a 4 seven's warm turbo with an 18650 body and I love it! Bring on the neutral/warm tints!!

joco

Newly Enlightened
Does this mean that I'm a Charter Member? If so, this will be the first organization that I've ever been one.

I changed over to lights in the 4,000k to 4,500k range, and won't go back. To my eyes, they even appear brighter than a slightly higher bin cool white. Contrast is much better, and 3 dimensions rather than 2.

I'll find out about warm white when my Xeno E03 arrives, and I anticipate very good things.

joco

Newly Enlightened
BTW, Paul.

Is it a coincidence that this epiphany seems to have occurred at about the same time that you opened the package with your new WW E03 this afternoon?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, Paul.

Is it a coincidence that this epiphany seems to have occurred at about the same time that you opened the package with your new WW E03 this afternoon?

OK three things you should know:

(1) I ordered the light before my oath,
(2) I bought 5 of these and only one was CW, and
(3) It will be used as ammo for proving neutral and warm is better than cool!

Plus, as somebody else noted, I've been clearing house of CW flashlights, so that has to count for something! :D

dirtech

Enlightened
I'm in.
I'll go farther and say only high cri. Got a u2a with one and it seems as bright as my neutral jet3m. Q2 vs Q3.

Napalm

Enlightened
Thats pretty funny!!

I find myself looking at lights these days and going "Man if it was only neutral/warm I would buy it in a second." I am finding it harder and harder to buy cool white lights

What's really funny is that my brain is strangely wired. I keep hearing that "neutrals" are best suited for outdoors and "cool" for indoors. For me it's the other way round. Maybe because somehow my eyes/brain are trained to expect cooler light outside (sunlight) and warmer inside (incandescent lighting) and they get confused/annoyed the other way round.

Nap. :shrug: