Flood Filter for the Stanley HID

dietero

Newly Enlightened
If this has already been discovered then please ignore this post.

I have found the almost perfect flood filter for the Stanley HID Spot Light. The front glass from a Phillips 50W Halogen Flood light (~ 7 Dollars at Home Depot, or Lowes). When removed from the 'bulb' the filter will fit the front of the Stanley snugly though not securely. Removing the glass is straight forward though safety precautions against glass breakage should be observed. (Safety glasses, gloves etc )
The front glass is held in place with RTV and was not too difficult to remove from the flood light. It appears that there is no vacuum in the main envelope of the flood light.

The accompanying pictures tell the story. To insert the filter more securely in the rubber ring of the Stanley a layer of aluminum tape may be wrapped around the rim of the filter.
Note: The beam pattern is 7 feet from the Stanley

http://home.gwi.net/~mdhenke/Downloads/Perfect Fit.jpg
http://home.gwi.net/~mdhenke/Downloads/Manufacturer.jpg
http://home.gwi.net/~mdhenke/Downloads/Filter.jpg
http://home.gwi.net/~mdhenke/Downloads/Flood Beam.jpg

Last edited:

seven11

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this, I have two Stanley's and I may have to put the flood filter on one. Looks like an almost perfect fit.

Flashlike

Enlightened
That looks like a great idea to me. The non-filtered beam on mine is really icky. It's very ringy and has lots of artifacts.

What is the SKU number (UPC bar code number) on the back of the Philips lamp package for this bulb (and/or the lamp
"order code" -- i.e. 50PAR30L/HAL/FL25 for example)?

PayBack

Enlightened
And people kept asking me why I needed two.... there ya go. To be honest I should have gotten three as I want two throwers.

EDIT: Oops I'm talking about the wrong HID lol. Mines a PoB.

dietero

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a great idea to me. The non-filtered beam on mine is really icky. It's very ringy and has lots of artifacts.

What is the SKU number (UPC bar code number) on the back of the Philips lamp package for this bulb (and/or the lamp
"order code" -- i.e. 50PAR30L/HAL/FL25 for example)?

Unfortunately the container has gone to the rubbish heap. Sorry.
!!! Correction !!!

I did find a copy of the original picture on the SD card.
The number is 0 46677 13407 0

Last edited:

Flashlike

Enlightened
dietero --

Would you mind explaining in greater detail how you removed the "lens" from the PAR30 bulb? I know you said in your post that "removing the glass is straight forward", but I bought one of those bulbs and can't figure out how to remove the lens.

Do you have to break the bulb (i.e. by striking it with a sharp metal object on the outside of the reflector area), then pull the broken pieces of glass away from the outside rim of the lens where the silicon is?
:stupid:

dietero

Newly Enlightened
dietero --

Would you mind explaining in greater detail how you removed the "lens" from the PAR30 bulb? I know you said in your post that "removing the glass is straight forward", but I bought one of those bulbs and can't figure out how to remove the lens.

Do you have to break the bulb (i.e. by striking it with a sharp metal object on the outside of the reflector area), then pull the broken pieces of glass away from the outside rim of the lens where the silicon is?
:stupid:

Having broken an earlier version of that sort of bulb I made sure first of all that it was indeed a halogen lamp.
I found that those have no vacuum in the bulb which makes it possible for the manufacturer to simply attach the front lens with a "rubber" type of adhesive.
In other lamps which contain a vacuum the lens is baked on with heat. Trying to get that lens off is impossible without breaking the entire bulb.

Make sure that you have a lamp with a "soft" attachment adhesive. You can feel the 'give' with your thumbnail.
Once you have determined that it is indeed fastened with RTV then proceed by carefully breaking the screw-in portion of the lamp. Begin with the base.
(Safety precautions are strongly advised, goggles, gloves etc etc ).
When the base is broken the pieces still attached to the 'lens' are easily removed from the lens by hand or with the help of a pair of pliers.

The alternative method is to take a strong knife and pry it carefully into the attached adhesive.

Note: If the attachment adhesive appears to 'feel' like rock then you have the wrong type of bulb.