Camping site in California recommendation?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys.

Before you all jump on me regarding not doing any research, I am currently checking out reserveamerica to see which campsite is good. But I want to get your inputs as well. Which is your favorite camping site in California?

My friends and I are planning to go camping this summer. This will the first time for many of my friends. Since I went once, they gave me the task of finding a good camping site.

These is what we are looking for:

Lake/River for fishing/water sports/maybe boating
Allow pets
Tent camping
Good scenery
bathroom
shower with hot & cold water
fire pit

So far I only know 2 places; Big Basin Redwoods and Yosemite (but don't know where is a good camping site, they have so many)

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two places you mention are some of the best here in Northern CA. In the Bay Area I'm familiar with Del Valle and Lake Chabot, go a bit north and there's Clear Lake and Lake Tahoe. Even further north the forested areas should be really pretty, though I've never been camping up there.

I was down in Monterey and Santa Cruz not too long ago and it's VERY pretty.

I'm not sure if this will have any bearing on your trip, but there's only about a month left until a possible government shutdown. This means parks like Yosemite will be closed for a while. I don't know when you plan on making your trip, but it would be wise to look into those things before making any plans.

Last edited:

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Shaver and Huntington Lakes in the mountains northeast of Fresno (on Route 168). I can't vouch for a specific campground - the one my group goes to wouldn't suit you - but lakes and gorgeous scenery - and not likely to be as crowded as "big names" like Yosemite and Tahoe. (Granted, there's good reason to see Yosemite, but government problems aside I have to wonder if it's too late to book Yosemite for this summer due to its popularity.)

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaver and Huntington Lakes in the mountains northeast of Fresno (on Route 168). I can't vouch for a specific campground - the one my group goes to wouldn't suit you - but lakes and gorgeous scenery - and not likely to be as crowded as "big names" like Yosemite and Tahoe. (Granted, there's good reason to see Yosemite, but government problems aside I have to wonder if it's too late to book Yosemite for this summer due to its popularity.)

Yep, it's too late. Their website screwed up. It said they don't take reservation until late June because there is still snow and ice up there. Then I contacted them this weekend trying to reserve Touloumne Meadow and they said I have to make reservation 6-12 months in advance. Now I am out of luck. Even the local beaches are booked solid.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give fishing in CA at best mixed reviews. There is just too much fishing pressure, and an OCD view that trout are the only fish that really gets stocked in any qty. IMHO, skip that part.

I really enjoy going to Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Some seriously large trees and old stumps. To me, that is what is really different about CA vs other places I have been.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really enjoyed the camp-site at lake Isabella(???) where the Kern river runs in to it. Had a lot of neat rock formations, etc., to explore. Of course that was about 26 years ago...