Thread: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

Default Re: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

"Nothing" as of todays mail drop.

So instead i was just reading and wondering about this multimode;
    Your instructions on page one states:

• 1st Mode = 1 LED lit
    • 2nd Mode = 2 LED's lit
    • 3rd Mode = 3 LED's lit

Which sounds fine if a user ordered 3 LEDs of the same color.

But I ordered 1 Red & 2 warm whites.
    So I would prefer that the modes select the LEDs in this order:

1st mode = 1 red LED
    2nd mode = 2 warm white LEDs
    3rd mode = all three LEDs?

Is there enough memory for this option?
    Last edited by cnjl3; 10-14-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: update

Flashaholic*

That is exactly how it works. 1st mode is the single led. 2nd mode is the 2 same color LEDs. 3rd is all three.

If possible ever in the future I would really like 3 different led colors all able to be turned on individually if possible with the current micro controller. 1 UV, 1WW, 1 red or green.
    My Lights: EDC; Nitecore EC1, ZLSC52, Quark Mini AAW, Preon P2
    Duty; Mag Recharger, Malkoff MD2 w/M60, C2 Bored w/LX2 clip Malkof M61 219

Flashaholic

Mine arrived today and it works great! Very, very nice job and an incredible value for the price.

I'll be ordering a second when you're ramped up!

Very interested in a 3 color/fixed brightness (if you need the code space) version as well. R/W/UV would be extremely useful.

Thanks again,
    Bob

PS I was a little surprised by the two springs, then I flipped the board over and saw what was opposite the empty spring solder pad. "I get it now..."

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Viper715 View Post
    That is exactly how it works. 1st mode is the single led. 2nd mode is the 2 same color LEDs. 3rd is all three.
    CNJL3: PS - I think Mike ships the 2 color rings with the third mode disabled, so you may need to enable it via the instructions in the first post then it will work as Viper describes above.

Quote Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
    CNJL3: PS - I think Mike ships the 2 color rings with the third mode disabled, so you may need to enable it via the instructions in the first post then it will work as Viper describes above.
    Yes, both of my 2-color rings came from the "factory" with the All-LED mode disabled .... It is real easy to change this, however, should you want a blended cyan-amber beam (or similar) -

Actually, I do find the triple-output option useful on my RD/BL(x2) ring. The blues are SO much brighter than the red, that it essentially just gives me another preset blue output level....
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Flashaholic

Mike:

Did I mention this thing is fantastic? Did some EDC with it and it's working out pretty well.

I've got a couple of thoughts on preventing false triggering that might get a little wordy so I'll send them via PM or email, but keeping the tail cap locked out is good enough.

Bob

Flashaholic

Hi

I'd like to order one single mode ring in warm white color. They seem to be in stock, so could you PM me the payment instructions?

Thanks

Mikko

Mine arrived today - 1 red & 2 warm white LEDs and it works just like you described it Viper715.

+1 on "incredible value for the price"

Quote Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
    Mine arrived today and it works great! Very, very nice job and an incredible value for the price.
    I have two SureFire A2's one with FM's Strion kit & Atomic Chickens Aviatrix and it is a combo I would never sell. So when SureFire decided to discontinue its incandescent line I bought my 2nd A2 and it is already loaded with FM Strion kit but It was missing the LED enhancement. I am so happy that you are offering this multi-mode ring and I highly recommend it to anyone who has or is thinking about getting a SureFire A2 in the future.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by M.S View Post
    Hi

I'd like to order one single mode ring in warm white color. They seem to be in stock, so could you PM me the payment instructions?

Thanks

Mikko
    Hi Mikko,

I have a single mode ring sitting half-completed on my workbench. I'll get a couple warm whites put on it, some resistors and springs, and fire you a PM when it's done.

If possible ever in the future I would really like 3 different led colors all able to be turned on individually if possible with the current micro controller. 1 UV, 1WW, 1 red or green.
    If I get time to revisit the design, I'd like to put each LED on it's own pin so that we can do 3 different colors. Dropping the 3rd spring added some room for more traces on the board, so now I actually have space to do it.

I'm thinking I'll add another "admin" command to lock the levels (toggle ramping on and off). In my A2's I haven't had much issue with pocket presses, but I'm hearing from some people that their tailcaps are more sensitive and they'd like the option to just set the brightnesses and lock them. I'll see if it will fit in the current firmware - if it does, it'll be on all the future multimodes. Thank you for the feedback to everyone who has one, please keep it coming.

There have also been a couple good suggestions for ways to time how long the power has been off, which has been a big limiting factor in the design of the UI. I'd also really like to add the ability to monitor voltage so that we don't overdischarge our 16340's.

That said, right now I just don't have the free time for such a large redesign (and all the testing that goes with it) so the only change that can happen right away is adding a setting to lock the brightness levels. Everything else will have to go on the Version 2 list.

I think that about covers it! If anyone is interested in a single mode or a multi-mode ring just let me know and I'll get one started for you. I wouldn't let the above items scare you too much - everything always has a list of enhancements for the next version. I've been packing my 1RD/2WW around daily for a couple months now and have been quite happy with it, so I think you'll be happy with it too. It beats the pants off the stock LED ring.

Hello Mike,

I would like to order one multi-mode ring (3 x Warm White). My inbox is empty and PayPal ready.

Filip

I'd like a warm white ring, please! Paypal at the ready - PM or email tsai.chiulung@gmail.com

Thanks!

Tsai

Quote Originally Posted by M.S View Post
    Hi

Thanks

Mikko
    Your ring is ready Mikko, PM has been sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hello Mike,

I would like to order one multi-mode ring (3 x Warm White). My inbox is empty and PayPal ready.

Filip
    Thanks for the order Filip. I'd like to try squeezing the "toggle ramping" setting into the firmware, so it'll take me a couple days to get that done and tested. Your ring will follow shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsai View Post
    I'd like a warm white ring, please! Paypal at the ready - PM or email tsai.chiulung@gmail.com

Thanks!

Tsai
    Thanks Tsai - email sent with a question.

Thumbs up Re: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

Hi Calipsoii,

As one of the early adopters of your 1st run rings I'd like to come back for some more!!

Please put me in for:

1x single mode - Warm White
    1x multi-mode - 2x Warm White, 1x UV

Please just PM me with total and PayPal info when it's ready to rock..

Thanks again for these!!

--Paul

Hello Mike,

i'd like to order the V2 improved ring:

1x multi-mode - 2x Warm White, 1x deep red

Just let me know when you are ready for it, so i proceed with the payment.

Thanks.

Thanks flex76italy and 1pt21, I'm planning to start your multimodes this weekend along with Filip's.

-------------------

I know this is a little off-topic for an A2 sales thread, but I snapped a picture that turned out pretty darn cool and I felt the need to share.

I've had a little electronics project I've wanted to do since I was 18. I've sat down and started it a half-dozen times only to get frustrated and quit. I once again sat down to start it a month ago, but with all the new knowledge and experience under my belt from doing the A2 rings, I've finally managed a working prototype! It still needs a few finishing touches but it's 80% done. Let me tell you, it feels damn good to hold a decades-old idea in the palm of your hand.

What is that? Terminator's eye?

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    Thanks flex76italy and 1pt21, I'm planning to start your multimodes this weekend along with Filip's.

-------------------

I know this is a little off-topic for an A2 sales thread, but I snapped a picture that turned out pretty darn cool and I felt the need to share.

I've had a little electronics project I've wanted to do since I was 18. I've sat down and started it a half-dozen times only to get frustrated and quit. I once again sat down to start it a month ago, but with all the new knowledge and experience under my belt from doing the A2 rings, I've finally managed a working prototype! It still needs a few finishing touches but it's 80% done. Let me tell you, it feels damn good to hold a decades-old idea in the palm of your hand.

It has two drilled sides, maybe for screws? Seems some sort of circuit board...elementary Watson!

Flashaholic*

As awesome as the multi mode rings sound, I think I'm going to go for simplicity.

1 single level warm white ring.

Thanks!

I would like to order one V2 ring: multi-mode --- 2x deep red, 1x Warm White.
    Let me know when to send PayPal payment. Thanks.

Hi,

I would like a Single Mode Warm White please. PM me your PP info when ready.

Thanks.
    LJ

The latest batch of rings has been completed and PM's have been sent! These multimodes take quite a bit longer to assemble so if you place an order for one, hang in there while I get it made.

These ones ship with a slightly altered firmware - they include an option to lock the brightness. I will be updating the instructions in the 1st post sometime this week after I recover the image off my hard drive that died yesterday.

The only difference is in the admin commands - they now go:

20-22: Toggle Brightness Lock
    23-25: Toggle 3rd Mode
    26-29: Toggle Low/High UI
    30+: Factory Reset

When you toggle the brightness lock, it'll flash twice to confirm it's been done. While it's locked, you will be unable to ramp the brightness with the standard 2clicks+hold and will only be able to switch modes with 3 clicks. The ring will remember the brightnesses you had set before locking it though. I tested it out and it works well - I figure this way it adds the option for those who want it, and shouldn't really affect those who don't. As always though, please let me know any feedback on it!

Soooo tempted to get myself a multimode ring, but still getting some good use out of the single mode WW one I got some months ago =)

PayPal has been sent for my multi-mode ring. Thank you.

my friend!

--Paul

Filip, 1pt21, flex76italy, yowzer, elnino, and Phredd your rings were all shipped out this morning!

Flashaholic*

Filip, 1pt21, flex76italy, yowzer, elnino, and Phredd your rings were all shipped out this morning!
    Can't wait! It looks like some rings have different components than others. Are they all multi-mode rings?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd View Post
    Can't wait! It looks like some rings have different components than others. Are they all multi-mode rings?
    Nope, there are two single modes in there. They're constructed on PCB's with a different layout.

Calipsoii, this is my order for a multi-mode ring with 1x Red and 2x Warm White LEDs. I will send payment via PayPal upon receipt of your PM.

Great job making an awesome light even better!
    Live off the land, but give back to it. Be a good person. Be a good American. Be a great shot.

Hi Mike,

I would like another one Single Mode Warm White please. PM me your PP info when ready.

Thanks.
    LJ

Flashaholic*

Showed up in the mailbox today. My old style 4-flats A2 with a fivemega Strion socket and now a calipsoii ring makes for a very nice pimped out light. Gonna take it camping tonight, but I can already tell the new ring is going to be great. Dimmer, but the tint is so much nicer than the stock blue^W white...
    Last edited by yowzer; 11-04-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 ... LastLast