Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

Unenlightened

Default Re: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

Hi Mike,
    I'll let you know when they arrive.

Hi calipsoii,

you're inbox is full.... just letting you know I received my ring on monday and it's awesome. Very nice!

thanks

Ack, Inbox cleared.

Thanks for letting me know hotlight, glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by hotlight View Post
    Hi calipsoii,

you're inbox is full.... just letting you know I received my ring on monday and it's awesome. Very nice!

thanks

Finally I'm ready to order

1x Single Mode NEUTRAL White
    1x Multi Mode 1 Amber + 2 Cyan

thanks!
    ** My lights **

Just picked up another aviator
    need to order a ring
    one multimode red and warm white

walterr839

Quote Originally Posted by Lite Me Up View Post
    Greetings, I would like to order a multi-mode ring with 1x warm white and 2x warm white LEDs for one of my favourite lights please. Your fabulous creation will surely extend the usefulness of my A2 for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by troller_cpf View Post
    Finally I'm ready to order

1x Single Mode NEUTRAL White
    1x Multi Mode 1 Amber + 2 Cyan

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by walterr839 View Post
    Just picked up another aviator
    need to order a ring
    one multimode red and warm white

walterr839
    Thanks for the orders guys, I'll get started on them pretty quick here.

Just got back from a trip out of town so I'm catching up on a few things first. I'll be sure to update the progress here to keep you in the loop.

Received mine this weekend. Installation was easy, everything fit great. It works perfectly, thanks!

Flashaholic*

Ring received last week. Works beautifully! Thanks!!!
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Unenlightened

Received my friend's 3 rings yesterday. Maybe I should got a A2 for myself

Quote Originally Posted by eoed View Post
    Received my friend's 3 rings yesterday. Maybe I should got a A2 for myself
    Yes, you definitely should get one! I started out with one and ended up with three myself, all thanks to the availability of the incredible Calipsoii rings!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Latest batch has been started.

Current progress: 85%
    Last edited by calipsoii; 03-31-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    Latest batch has been started.

Current progress: 10%
    Mike, thanks for the update...it'll be interesting to watch this ongoing process.

Hey Calipsoii,

Just thought I'd update you on the ring you made for me with the Low > Hi UI.

First, Installation was a snap.

It took some getting used to and playing with some of the settings, but it has become my light of choice in the airplane. At first I had problems getting it to do what I wanted it to do. The biggest problem was it seemed to always go into a different mode when I didn't want, or change intensity when I didn't want. After reading some of your basic info on the settings, I found changing from "short" to "Long" click solved this. I guess that one extra click helped a lot. I use the momentary switch a lot and I guess I was clicking it more than I thought.

The warm white is wonderful, and when very dim is great for reading charts or digging through the ice chest for a soda The Red is very nice, but I almost never use it. I think if I had to do it again, I would opt for a single mode warm white. that leads me to a question...Does the single mode always turn on in full intensity, or can it be dialed down some? I ask because I am using the warm white in a very dim setting most of the time.

As for the L>H UI....I question whether it was ever needed at all. Since the ring always clicks on in whatever it's last setting, I almost never have to adjust the intensity. I'm almost always in a dim setting anyway. If I am at a higher setting and need to get to a lower one, I still have to go through the brighter settings to get to the lower. So I have developed a habit to work around this. On the rare occasions I am using a higher setting, I always return the light ring to the lowest setting before switching it off. This way it always starts up in low. ...I hope I have explained this in a way that is understandable to you.

Wonderful product you have here. great workmanship, Great service, and fast shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycleflyer View Post
    Does the single mode always turn on in full intensity, or can it be dialed down some? I ask because I am using the warm white in a very dim setting most of the time.
    Thanks for the post Bicycleflyer, it was perfectly understandable and I appreciate the feedback!

To answer your question, you should be able to adjust the brightness of the single LED on your ring just like double LED's. If you were inquiring about the single-mode rings then they don't have any kind of programmability, no. I can use a higher resistor to make the output lower but nothing user adjustable.

I am glad to hear that it does the trick for you though. Thanks for stopping in and letting me know.

Oh no, I know the single LED can be adjusted..I was asking about the single mode rings. So if I decide to get one, I may have you put in that resistor.

My apologies for the long wait guys, I've been crazy busy at work and home lately.

The latest run has been completed and PM's have been sent!

- Mike

** My lights **

I just received and tested my rings!
    I have to say these are excellent, and the quality and craftmanship of the work is top level! The multi-mode works perfectly and the ramping and mode changing are working nicely. Excellent ramping choices, a lot of levels!
    Thank you calipsoii for making such nice rings!!! I feel like a happy kid!
    ** My lights **

Thanks troller_cpf, I'm glad you like them!

The amber/cyan combo you picked is one of my favorites; a good combination of throw + flood + good-looking colors. Makes for a very unique Aviator.

Yeah I love the two colors, even if I found out that:
    - after a while the Cyan is not very "vision friendly", is too cool as a color
    - the amber has a very defined circular spot, there is no spill, and I was hoping for a bit more spill.

do you also do frosting/sanding services?

The amber/cyan combo you picked is one of my favorites; a good combination of throw + flood + good-looking colors. Makes for a very unique Aviator.
    ** My lights **

Yep, amber/cyan
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Quote Originally Posted by troller_cpf View Post
    do you also do frosting/sanding services?
    If someone asked I certainly could but I usually prefer to leave it to the user to decide whether they want it clear or diffused.

A few times now I've tried lightly sanding the LED's with 800grit sandpaper and it has always made the beam worse to my eyes. It's really hard to scuff up the dome without accidentally creating flat spots in the epoxy, messing up the beam.

If you want to give it a try, I'd start with something VERY fine, like maybe 0000 steel wool or some emery cloth. Or pick up some diffuser film over on CPF Marketplace.

Hi calipsoii,

When you're able to, I'd like to order a single mode deep red ring

Mike

my one red two warm white ring arrived today in record time

Walter in Rhode Island

Greetings Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I finally received the ww/ww x2 ring today, after Canada Post redirected it into orbit around the Moon earlier in the week. Actually, from what I can tell on the package, someone from Canada Post entered the wrong postal code on their own delivery label.

Anyway, I diligently installed it per your excellent notes and...voila...easy as pie! Love the ramping and led selection abilities. I am very happy that the timing was good based on the fact that I happened upon your "open" thread at a time when I was looking for options for one of my most treasured lights to date. I would say that it was worth the wait after all. Thanks for your efforts and talents.

Andrew

Excellent, very glad to hear it (finally) arrived. I hope it serves you well.

Hello calipsoii,

If you're still making rings, I'd love a Multi Mode 1x Neutral White / 2x Neutral White. I have recently registered and understand I need more posts before I can PM, but I wanted to place my order while you are still making rings. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thank you!

Flashaholic

Hello Mike,

I'd like to purchase (1) Single Mode Neutral White LED ring @ $22USD + $7 shipping

In your original post it says "in stock" on these, but if they are not in stock and I have to wait that's OK, too.
    Please send a PM with Paypal info. Thank you.

Last edited by Flashlike; 04-14-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Payment sent 8:54 PM Central Time USA 4/14/2012

Flashlike and pkennethv, your single mode rings are all set. I've fired PM's off to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyug View Post
    Hello calipsoii,

If you're still making rings, I'd love a Multi Mode 1x Neutral White / 2x Neutral White. I have recently registered and understand I need more posts before I can PM, but I wanted to place my order while you are still making rings. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thank you!
    Your multi-mode will take a few days kellyug. We're in the middle of a snowstorm here so I can't get outside to man the toaster oven.

I see you have your 4 posts now, so I'll fire you a PM just as soon as it's ready.

Thanks!

Flashaholic

Flashlike and pkennethv, your single mode rings are all set. I've fired PM's off to you both...

We're in the middle of a snowstorm here so I can't get outside to man the toaster oven.
    Mike,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've replied to your PM and sent payment.
    Sometimes those Spring snowstorms can be really bad. I hope the weather clears up for you soon!

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819 LastLast