Malkoff
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

Flashaholic

Default Re: FS: Homemade Surefire A2 Aviator LED rings (2nd Run) *OPEN*

Looks like a very nice revision. I'm looking forward to being able to order one, but I'm in no hurry. Appreciate your alpha-tester for us; she sounds like a great one.

Now, with added optional 3rd mode, I am satisfied. Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hello calipsoii,

Would be single mode (i.e. no switching between 1 and 2 leds) with ramping feature possible? I can't decide between single and multimode models, and the model in question could be a nice option. If not, I might end buying both :-).

Thank you.

Sweet! Thanks for the update. Paypal waiting!

have you thought of manufacturing a replacement center LED emitter? I would really like to have an XP-G in the center of my A2.

Quote Originally Posted by tlyon1022 View Post
    have you thought of manufacturing a replacement center LED emitter? I would really like to have an XP-G in the center of my A2.
    The thought's crossed my mind (as I'm sure it has a lot of other people's). If there wasn't an A2L I suspect someone would already have made an LED tower module. As it is though, SF has a pretty solid offering in that light.

Technically I imagine it'd be a bit of a pain as well. As far as I know, the A2 is the only SF incan offering that included an LVR to regulate the bulb. Unlike the E-series lights where an LED module can be direct-driven off the battery stack, the A2's power would be passing through ANOTHER regulator. That's no doubt going to cause all kinds of issues with an LED dropin.

Sorry tlyon1022, might wanna save for an A2L or check the Marketplace.

thats true about the regulation. I've been blissfully ignorant to the innerworkings of my A2 until the last day or two. I see the problems now. Guess I'm going to be selling the A2 to offset the price of an A2L. Thanks for the info!

Edit:
    On the note of selling it, If anyone is looking for an A2, here's the sales link:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...te-Secondaries
    Last edited by tlyon1022; 08-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Wow, im sure your not allowed to do that...
    'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

1 x Deep Red if you have the stock please
    No rush, I can't send the paypal till the 29th of Aug so I hope this wont be a problem.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bdl931 View Post
    1 x Deep Red if you have the stock please
    No rush, I can't send the paypal till the 29th of Aug so I hope this wont be a problem.
    Thanks.
    No problem bdl931. I'm taking a little holiday right away here so it'll be later than the 29th before I can even get it started for you.

Quote Originally Posted by smflorkey View Post
    Looks like a very nice revision. I'm looking forward to being able to order one, but I'm in no hurry.
    I've shipped a handful of multi-mode prototypes out to fellow CPF'ers, so hopefully within a week or two we'll hear some feedback on what works and what needs work!

Super Moderator

Received my rings today - SUPERB! Fitting them gave me something to do while CPF was down for maintenance. It's extremely easy - only takes a couple of minutes.

The tint of the Warm White is particularly good - it's the nearest thing to a McGizmo Sundrop that I've seen. Praise doesn't get any higher than that. Goodbye angry white!

The deep red and y/g are very nice too - both will be better for night vision than the stock SF LED rings. The UV looks very dim to the eye, but that is actually a GOOD sign. Proper UV is not visible, and this certainly makes the threads and watermarks on banknotes pop out.

Many thanks, Mike!
    Resistance is futile...

I would also say a big thank you for the work you have put in to these, I got mine this afternoon and the warm white is scarily incandescent like, the UV is something else, GITD stuff really lights up when this UV hits it.

Thanks again, now I just need another A2 so I dont have to swap about.

BTW does reflected UV from flourescent material damage your eyes or is it only if shone into eyes?
    'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Enlightened

thank you Mike for this nice piece of work, i'm really satisfied!

I would like to order:

2x Warm White ... $22 ($44)
    1x Deep Red ... $22
    1x Ultraviolet ... $28
    Shipping ... $7
    Total ... $101

Please PM your PayPal details when the time comes.

Thanks!

KROMA
    TICS

I am impressed (and interested in) your multimode ring. I'll check in later to buy a 2xw 1xr!

-Mayo

Hello, I will purchase a white LED ringn when available.

And my pre- production testing begins...

BIG thanks to calipsoii for the chance to run one of these through it's paces! Initial impressions, having it show up in the mail and installed yesterday afternoon:

Ramping is quick and easy, high to low.

Programming is intuitive even for me...

Low levels are amazing, comparing in output to my beloved Titans.

Wide spread of output available in each "mode": one, two, or all three LED's lit.

High remains as bright as the original rings Mike made.

Build quality is great, looks the same as the 1st generation single mode rings.

I asked for the same "all warm white" as I originally purchased so as to do a direct comparison, the tint is exctly the same. Gave it a good workout last night, walking around my yard, flipping back and forth between super low and full brightness in each mode, ramping and changing back and forth between one, two, and three LED's on the fly. Main beam available instantly, as expected. I'm really impressed so far. I'm a low level junkie, admittedly, and generally find the stock A2 LED level too bright, this ring adds a whole new level of usefulness to the A2. More to follow...
    Last edited by scout24; 09-04-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: cleaned up xome spelling...

AWESOME!!!!

I think there just may be a 'test ring' waiting for me at home! And since it's Labor Day weekend, I'll have a chance to do some testing / photos.

Thanks for the preliminary, Scout24! I think Calipsoii's little multi mode ring is going to breathe a massive dose of new life into the venerable A2...

And what a perfect nightstand and/or camping light this will be with the flexibility that this offers.

Although my beta-testing commentary until now has been behind-the-scenes, perhaps I should join the chorus of praise here for the calipsoii multi-mode A2 ring

With many thanks for the opportunity to preview this mod, I suggest that you all may want to start scouring the MarketPlace for A2's ... you're going to want this ring

I have had a 1xRed/2xBlue MM-A2 for nearly a week and I find it incredibly useful, functioning as a "mini-Kroma". It seems perfect as a night-stand light, with a super-low (and adjustable!) red beam ... yet a blast of 100CRI incandescent goodness is just a thumb-press away! Or, triple-click to switch modes into the pair of throwy bright blue LEDs, should you prefer.

And all modes (single/double/triple LEDs) are easily and independently output-adjustable, each with their own memory. Ramping is extremely smooth, and decreases to a low which (even here on CPF) is unlikely to generate "if only the low was lower" comments

Build is very solid, with excellent fit and finish. Installed on the first try, with all three screws centered (on my late-model 3-rounds A2), lamp focus intact.

Kudos to calipsoii - this mod makes one of the greatest SureFires ... even better !
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Flashaholic

I'm down for a warm white please.

If these work on an A2L, I'll take a 1 x UV 2 x Red ring!!! Please let me know when they're available! Thanks!

Shao

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    If these work on an A2L, I'll take a 1 x UV 2 x Red ring!!! Please let me know when they're available! Thanks!

Shao
    Hey Shao, sorry to say that these won't work in an A2L. It uses four 3mm LED's inside a sealed head, so they're not user replaceable like in the incandescent A2.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    Hey Shao, sorry to say that these won't work in an A2L. It uses four 3mm LED's inside a sealed head, so they're not user replaceable like in the incandescent A2.

Cheers!

Well there goes all of my fun.. does someone make Aviator LED towers??

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    Well there goes all of my fun.. does someone make Aviator LED towers??
    See the discussion here.

Don't hold your breath.

- Syncytial.

Unenlightened

Single Mode Warm White (Nichia NSPL500DS, 22000mcd, 15 degree, ~3300K)...$22
    total: 22+7=29 USD
    Paypal detail please~~~

It's definitely time for an update!

The latest batch of single-mode rings has been completed.

The individuals testing the multimode's have been just great. Lots of good advice and feedback. It's sounding like the hardware is pretty solid so I'm just going to work with them a bit to get the UI tweaked and then these should be ready to go out to a few more people as well.
    Last edited by calipsoii; 09-11-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Super Moderator

A spammer appeared and actually made a relevant post here, but there were 3 spam links embedded in the text.

As it was relevant, I reproduce what he said here (without the links):

I almost took some fine sandpaper to the LEDs but they are less ringy than the OEM white ring and even the SureFire white LED rings isn't as bad as the colored ones so I'm leaving this one alone. Job well done.
    Resistance is futile...

Thanks DM51!

So how old is the A2? I honestly don't know - but I do know it's been around for a while. Yet the new multi mode ring from our friend Calipsoii it's an entirely new light. I plan to put it through it's paces, but initial impressions - AWESOME! I'm so pleased to be testing one for Mike! It's easy to install, easy to program, easy to operate. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite intuitive.

Hopefully this weekend I can take some quality photos, but I quickly grabbed a few shots - sorry for the poor quality, but maybe they'll give an idea of the utility...I have the single LED set to the lowest level available - the double LEDs are set to just above the lowest level, then the 3 combined are wide open. This is just one of infinite possibilities, but I like it this way...the single LED will be great for those middle of the night 'trips...' - double LEDs for going down the stairs... or all three when nice, warm, even illumination is needed. Consider:
    Single LED - lowest setting

2 LEDs almost lowest level

3 LEDs wide open

More to come this weekend!

Thanks run4jc! You guys are a very kind bunch. It's a good thing we're addicted to flashlights and not something else, because this kind of support wouldn't be helping the matter any.

As several beta-testers have mentioned, the low is REALLY low. It's pretty hard to capture since the camera usually picks up more light than your eyes do.

The deep red in particular is quite stunning at it's lowest setting:

Oh, and for my own curiosity, I've started a runtime test of a single warm white LED on it's lowest setting. Batteries are a fresh pair of SF123's, expiry 2021. I'll let you know how long this guy glows for.

Super Moderator

I've noticed something interesting. Being a total klutz, I dropped one of the 3 screws on the floor while I was installing a LED ring and for a while I couldn't find it. I re-assembled the light with just 2 screws, and I noticed this resulted in only 2 LEDs being lit. To test whether this was a coincidence, I took out another screw. Result: only 1 LED lit. I then tried this with a stock LED ring, and taking out 1 screw doesn't make any difference - you still get all 3 LEDs lit. The screw obviously completes part of the circuit for the LED next to it.

Now, I actually think this is a good feature - someone with a non-programmable version of the ring might want to have the option to have only 1 or 2 LEDs lit. This provides a way to achieve that.

BTW, I eventually found the missing screw using a light laid flat on the floor.
    Resistance is futile...

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast