ArmyTek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nightsword project

Hybrid View

Default The Nightsword project

ma_sha1, I haven't been on in a while but I see you've made a lot of progress over the year. My project has stalled due to funds, but it's not dead. Working on a cost effective injection molding process for the housing. I changed back to a molding design instead of fabricated metal due to electrical safety. I would love to go with carbon fiber layup, but it's about as conductive as metal, so it's not any safer, so I decided on Kevlar. It's not conductive and it's stronger and lighter than fiberglass, and it's not itchy. The prototype is under 10 lbs total (without battery) and consumes 1025 watts total (120v AC or 120v DC) with power supply losses.

Here's a shot of the 75,000 lumen beam. ..

No actual beam shot of the clouds, I didn't take the pic. It's a very uniform circle on the clouds. Looking up at the beam is dizzying. I finally reached my goal of a portable light with the output of the SX-16 searchlight, but with half the power consumption (if you don't mind waiting a minute for start up).

This is with a shallow 9.5" reflector. The lit up trees is all from the stray light which will be better utilized in the beam with the next prototype with a deeper 10.5" reflector with a bit shorter FL. Still will be under 10 lbs, that's a major goal for me. Strange how the stray light on the trees is white but the beam is so blue, but it's all the same light. The clouds reflect white like the trees. I don't understand the blue beam. I run it for about an hour at a time for temp tests, and during that time cars come sneaking up the road with their headlights off. Makes me chuckle.

By the eye, it appears to have same exact throw (and beam color) as the Arctic Spyder 1W laser, which in itself is a pretty insane laser, but with them both on, the 1W laser is dwarfed.

Always use a UV blocking lens! ALWAYS!!! I ran it without for about five minutes thinking such a short time would be ok, and I was wrong. Without ever looking in the direction of the light, the reflected light gave me Arc Eye and I had to go to the optometrist the next day because all I saw was blur. It was quite scary. Fortunately it healed after two weeks with no after effects, but I was lucky. It was my lesson to never take even the slightest chances along the way. There are no short cuts.
    Last edited by get-lit; 08-02-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    I like big bulbs and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny!

Default Re: Superlights shoot-out 2011: The Short Arcs

Get-lit, good to see you back in action! Wow, over 1000W, that's insane, I wonder if your power solution
    will prevent it from being a Portable light?

I got my 9.5" short arc reflector in, but due to a job change, I had to move to MD, the project is on hold,
    all my stuff are left in Maine. I use a 13 lb 400W portable AC pack, I installed a lightweight 20AH Lifepo4 electric car battery &
    a 300V DC power inverter to power my 260W P-VIP ballst. I am almost at final stage for my 260W/1mm arc P-VIP install, but had to wait for a few month now.

As for the blue beam, my light does the same, I think it's due to Rayleigh scattering, the beam is scattering light, not reflection,
    blue spectrum scatters more than other wavelength, thus beam of white light is blue but reflected light remain white. The same principle as why the sky is blue when sunlight is white.

I wear a UV blocking face mask, yes, UV protection for the eyes is critically important, hope you don't get long term damage!
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Ahh! Rayleigh scattering. Good thinking.

Bummer, no more pics from Maine.

The power supply is contained within the light housing. I can keep the housing with power supply and ignitor under 10 lbs while accepting 90v+ AC/DC. I'd use a 110v battery pack so no inverter is needed. I figure batteries will keep getting more dense. Right now I could use Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries, a 10 lb pack could run for 37 minutes.

It's not really evident in the pic, but the beam does have more spread to it than the Maxa Blaster and the Moon Blaster. The beam spread is probably more like the MegaBlaster. I'm working with 75K lumen in a 3.5mm gap, however I'm having a super short arc developed, at the expense of lamp life and a minor hit in lumen output. I expect to be able to get 65K+ lumen in a beam as tight as the Maxa Beam. But this is all moving along very slowly because the costs are tremendous and this economy sure ain't helpin.

Lurking CPF for some time it is nice to see you still hunt the perfect big light.

ma_sha1, I wonder if your P-VIP ballast is power factor corrected and can possibly accept a 110v DC input. Then you could go direct from battery. Back when I was considering P-VIP, the ballasts we AC input only. DC input is a requiement for my project. Lugging a high power inverter is not practical. Ultimately, my light must work in all weather, and inverters would be an issue there.

I'm still interested in making a 250W P-VIP version of my light because it's so practical to power if you can obtain ballast with direct DC input, and 1mm arc gap could use a smaller and lighter reflector for something more portable than my light. P-VIP ballasts are tiny and don't need a bulky external ignitor like my light, and cost very little.

So I'm really considering making two versions, the more practical and affordable P-VIP and the all out megalight with 5 times the output and unfortunately 5 times the production cost.

Back when I was first considering P-VIP lamps, I sourced a company that said they could make a ballast with 110v DC input for up to 250W AC output for P-VIP lamps. I'm going to see if I can come up with something.

My 120V P-VIP ballasts for the Mega Blaster & Moon blaster are power factor corrected, runs on 110V, I took them out of Compaq DLP projectors.

My 260V P-VIP ballast for my up coming home-made tank light is 300V DC input only, this is a gift from a Friend who works at Osram, who upgraded the firm ware to increase 250W ballast to 260W. It drives a 1mm Arc 250W P-VIP lamp. I built a 12v-300V DC inverter to run it from 12V.

All 3 lights runs out of this 20AH, 400W portable power pack below, I upgraded the 13lb Lead Acid battery into a light weight 7lb, 20AH Lifepo4 battery. It has two 110V Ac out, one 12C DC out & one 300V DC out, so all three of my super lights are powered by this single ultimate power pack!

Front: Dual 100V AC, I can Run Mega & Moon Blaster simutaniously

Back, with Lifepo4 charging port & Digital Volt meter.

Side: My 300V DC Add-on, unfortunately, no room to put it inside.
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 08-22-2011 at 06:51 PM.

You built a 12v-300V DC inverter? Very nice. Strange that the 260W ballast doesn't accept 120v AC.

I wouldn't mind a 12v inverter for when hooking up to car or boat power, but for when out on foot, I prefer to go without. I remember many years ago, there weren't so many options. The past few years sure have been a nice change.

Flashaholic*

Ma_sha, your inverter seems like to be the "modified sine wave", ala more of square wave type right? I was just going through them and i see that your model fits quite a lot of them the OEM ones. The pure sine wave are quite expensive and are of a different design.

No problem on powering the ballasts? I guess only power tools may have issues, also regfrigerators .

Flashaholic

wow... I am impressed! its like a new white high powered laser!

Thanks everyone. The input is very helpful. Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by get-lit; 12-24-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Super Moderator

The MB's bulb moves in and out of focus (forward and back from the reflector's focal point) using the servo motor.

How about a manually adjustable focus, maybe by turning a knob? It might be quite a lot more precise - the MB's motor moves it quite quickly, and it's not always easy to stop it exactly where you want. Being no longer servo-adjusted, it would presumably not infringe those patents.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

I agree with DM51. A manual adjustment would not only be more precise but probably easier and cheaper to build.

I agree too! We're all so agreeable!
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    The MB's motor moves it quite quickly, and it's not always easy to stop it exactly where you want.
    This might have been an early short coming that was fixed later?
    Out of the 2 MB I had, one does this (especially just after start up, it overshoots like crazy)

But the other one doesn't, it moves slower & does not over shoot when focusing.
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 12-26-2011 at 04:15 AM.

I want one :-)

Default Re: The Nightsword project

Quote Originally Posted by AceDan View Post
    I want one :-)
    LOL

Told you.

You can bring it to PF20

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post

LOL

Told you.

You can bring it to PF20
    Haha!!! I'm swapping it for the mini mag ;-)

Good swap.

Get-Lit - I know its too soon to hold you to anything, as you're "not there yet"...but, I was wondering if you had a rough guess, so far at least, as to the price range for the Light Sword?

I would LOVE to get it, but, I AM worried that its price point would get me killed in my sleep, etc.

So, any guesses?

Lol. Definitely not meant that way - I like to add humour. :-)

Very curious those like most on how much it would cost though. Amazing bit of kit.

I got the joke. I'll work out a rough estimate. Actually the longer I put off a cost the less the figure will be because as time passes after spending money on materials and tooling etc, I tend to just forget about those costs and end up not including them in a total.

Quote Originally Posted by get-lit View Post
    I got the joke. I'll work out a rough estimate. Actually the longer I put off a cost the less the figure will be because as time passes after spending money on materials and tooling etc, I tend to just forget about those costs and end up not including them in a total.
    Is it bank loan time?! Don't forget we're in a recession ;-)

You have to keep in mind this will be twice as powerful as the Nightsun which costs 20 grand and is not even portable, and it's around 40 times more powerful than the ACR RCL600 that costs 8 grand and also is not portable. I've dedicated years of my personal time on this, already spent over 15k with at least another 5k to go yet just to begin production, not including per unit component costs, and I have little income that I work hard for and more than half goes to support for 4 children, and I'm offering to CPF'ers below my actual cost to make it. I've explained this before and if it's still not appreciated, this is not for you.

You have to keep in mind this will be twice as powerful as the Nightsun which costs 20 grand and is not even portable, and it's around 40 times more powerful than the ACR RCL600 that costs 8 grand and also is not portable. I've dedicated years of my personal time on this, already spent over 15k with at least another 5k to go yet just to begin production, not including per unit component costs, and I have little income that I work hard for and more than half goes to support for 4 children, and I'm offering to CPF'ers below my actual cost to make it. I've explained this before and if it's still not appreciated, this is not for you.
    I think you'll find that this is very much appreciated and is a fantastic bit of kit. You should patent it and think about commercial sales.

It will be more than appreciated by everyone that buys one.
    You are making the unbelievable a reality!!

I want to sell everything I own, except maybe a few other lights of course

Just curious, How many of these priceless gems will end up being made? Do you have a set number? How many serious buyers (at any price) do you have?

are you planning on trying to make money eventually?
    I think you should charge more for your time...

Edit:
    finally read the entire thread... a month later.
    I really enjoyed your posts on page 8!! Learning a lot here.
    What do you program?
    Last edited by naiter; 01-18-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Evening all.

Any pictures of the bulb at all? If that's what you can call it.

GL,

Thanks. Old injuries.

I just want to see the final product in real time operation.

So far we have been getting the base done and tweeking it out.

This is the fun part of the build. Once I read what I have missed I'll hadd questions, ideas.

I am just thrilled to see how far our ideas in GL project is moving.

GL, Thanks for having this wonderful get together.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    Last edited by Ceya!; 01-20-2013 at 02:20 PM.

I missed some earlier posts so I'll respond...

TEEJ, There is a rubber pad on the back, I supposed I could add one to the rear lip of the front bezel.

Ceya, I believe I've posted a drawing of the front earlier in the thread.

AceDan, the lamp is custom made, although I've had three lamps made so far, this is the only pic I have. It's a TC lamp with probes embedded into the seals, the seals are molybdenum foil which allows the lamp to be much smaller than other lamps of comparable output, it's also a DC lamp for increased efficacy and arc stability, and this is the Anode end, with threads for the retro-reflector to screw onto and the retro-reflector is shimmed with very thin washers, the Cathode end (not shown) is actually larger because the lamp mounts at that end, the envelope has to be round so that it's surface does not deflect the light from the source. I'll have to take a pic of the lamp with mounted retro-reflector soon.

Last edited by get-lit; 01-20-2013 at 04:27 AM.