The Fenix-Store

Thread: The ByrdRench - Up, Close, and Personal

Default The ByrdRench - Up, Close, and Personal

Out of pure fascination, I purchased the ByrdRench, and boy, I am impressed with it. It has replaced my Sage 2 as EDC, though heavier than it. I see a nut, and I think the ByrdRench these days. Has a nice grip, and reasonable tolerances. I put a small plastic tube around the file detent, so that it does not rub my jeans pocket (not an original idea). Here are some photos for your enjoyment

-Amar

The screw-driver

Locked with the file detent in place

Last edited by choombak; 06-07-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added a photo comparing size with an AA battery

Default Re: The ByrdRench - Up, Close, and Personal

i had noticed single photos of this in ads but never realized how many options it offers. quite amazing. definitely a workingman's tool.

only concern i'd have is how good the plier tip mate up. in my leathermans its so good that you can use them to pluck hairs, yet these look a bit rounded and not very finely fitted. you did say "reasonable tolerances" so i suspect its ok for general utility but not for super fine work. thoughts on that?

also, is there a way to mount the file on the tool itself to use it?

it replaced your sage 2? that is truly sacrilegious!

ps- nice pixs. and thnx for posting this mini review!
    Last edited by coyote; 05-31-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    i had noticed single photos of this in ads but never realized how many options it offers. quite amazing. definitely a workingman's tool.

only concern i'd have is how good the plier tip mate up. in my leathermans its so good that you can use them to pluck hairs, yet these look a bit rounded and not very finely fitted. you did say "reasonable tolerances" so i suspect its ok for general utility but not for super fine work. thoughts on that?

also, is there a way to mount the file on the tool itself to use it?

it replaced your sage 2? that is truly sacrilegious!

ps- nice pixs. and thnx for posting this mini review!
    these are quiet okay for general utility, as you have guessed. it has not replaced my sage 2, but actually compliments it - the sage now rides in backpack, and switches places with the rench alternate days.

the file acts as a lock for the two separate parts, and cannot be used comfortably while mounted, since there is a spring mechanism at one end.

thanks for clarification, choombak.

enjoy!