Old-School Surefire's...Let's See Them!!!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a Rare and Unusual SF thread, but not an Old-School one...let's see them, and any stories behind them!

9Z w/ A20, 9Z, "Guardian", and 6Z (@ Size-15, was the original Guardian ever designated as a D3??? Or did it later pick up the name D3???)

HPIM1876.jpg

L6, last Gen KL3 w/ Fresnel Lens (the best one made IMO), and a 3-Flats C3 (S/N A003058) with 1st Gen KL5 (Lux-V)

HPIM1877.jpg

1st Gen M3 (S/N A00180) and 3rd Gen M3 (S/N A07753) w/ KL2 (S/N A00528)

HPIM1874.jpg

HPIM1882.jpg

E1-SG "Tear-Drop", C2 "3-Flats", 3rd Gen (?) E2L w/ KL1, and an L2.

HPIM1879.jpg

Let's see some more!!!

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
@ angelofwar,
Thanks for sharing. These are magnificent pieces, each and every one, and as a collection, simply astounding. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice classic users there, LE! I'm still trying to get my hands on some older 6 models. Those look like they could tell some stories!

Thanks Sparky!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll do some family shots too... 4 M6's now :D Three of which are smooth bezel versions :D

I love the smooth bezels... look so much better! More traditional imo.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! That's what I love about that 1st gen M3 I posted. I mean, the slight crenullations are nice, but, who really "accidentally" leaves a flashlight on??? That's like leaving your car running after you get out...the flat bezels look more robust, and just make the look like circa' 1940's "machines"...real TOOLS!!! The newer one's are made to look to high-speed/low drag, if that makes any sense.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sure does make sense and I agree 100%

To me the smooth bezels look just that, as if they are from the 40's. Nice and traditional looking. Simple, smooth, clean look.

To me the M4 with smooth bezel is the best, most traditional looking Surefire there is. I have one, and I am always looking for more!

Pics are uploading now :)

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go, not my best shots but ok.

Starting off with the new M6 I received today :D

P5314022.jpg

Here is my "oldest" M6 :D with my new one in the background.

P5314026.jpg

P5314028.jpg

All 4 M6's

P5314030.jpg

P5314032.jpg

Group shot of some of my old school lights :) I love 9N's!!

P5314033.jpg

My old school M4 with 2010 M4 behind.

P5314034.jpg

My 9N's all received new last year :D

P5314035.jpg

P5314036.jpg

M6's again

P5314037.jpg

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:

Man!!! very nice lights the DRB! I think you have a first and second gen m6...I noticed on my 1st and 3rd M3, with the "Laser Beam" title, the only thing that changed was the lettering. My 1st Gen one appears to have italicized lettering, while the 3rd gen one has block lettering, just like you M6. These are some pristine examples! From the 5th Pic, I'm gonna guess from left-to-right:

2nd Gen, 1st Gen, 3rd Gen, and 4th Gen.

I also like the M4! I think that laser beam etching reminds me of Aliens (the 2nd one in the series). I prefer that look to the newer "in your face" style. Also, nice collection of 9N's...neat to see all the minute changes, knowing that that version of the 9N wasn't around long, it's neat to see how much SF was growing and changing things at that time.

Very Nice, and Thanks DRB!

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers mate! :thumbsup:

With the M6's, I have a feeling that the non Italic Magnumlight is the first gen.
There are a number of differences:

The Turbohead is shorter with a metallic ring inside the head rather than plastic.
The tailcap is labelled "Laser Products Fountain Valley, CA SURE-FIRE"
It has the old crosshair logo (serial number A000360)
The ano is different to any other SF I have had my hands on. It has a lighter and more matte appearance/feel.
The tailcap/body are also "missing" the circle marking for locking out.
The lens doesn't have a retaining ring, it is pop in/out.
This one also came with the coloured anodised bulbs rather than black.

It's my favorite :D

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Yes! That's what I love about that 1st gen M3 I posted. I mean, the slight crenullations are nice, but, who really "accidentally" leaves a flashlight on??? That's like leaving your car running after you get out...the flat bezels look more robust, and just make the look like circa' 1940's "machines"...real TOOLS!!! The newer one's are made to look to high-speed/low drag, if that makes any sense.

Boy do I know what you mean!

Sometimes there things that look like kid stuff...And, back to you with, do you know what I mean?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep! These old SF's look like something from an "Industrial Age"...not an "IPod Age". I really like the "stepped down" bodies of the 9Z's as well, not to mention the older "bronze" look of early SF's.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers mate! :thumbsup:

The Turbohead is shorter with a metallic ring inside the head rather than plastic.

I didn't notice that at first glance, but looking at the bottom pic, I can see how close the lens is to the edge of the bezel, and how short the front rim is. My M3 is built exactly the same way. You may have every model of M6 made...although, I though I saw one that just read "MAGNUM LIGHT" on the side, and an error one that read "MAGNNUM", IIRC??? (Although that's not a model, per-se...). At least you can afford that many M6's! LOL!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Semi-Old School M6 in today (Big thanks, Kelmo!)...It's old-school enough to be a Magnum light and have a Laser Products MB20. It appears to be from the same time frame as my 3rd gen M3 (although the 2nd gen M3 didn't last too long on the production line) seen on the left. M6 has the same front and back side markings as my M3 "Surefire" and "Millennium Series/M6 Magnumlight"

HPIM1909.jpg

HPIM1906.jpg

Goes good with the "Old School Books", eh???

"Magnum" Light seems more fitting, since magnum refers to essentially anything over-powered (i.e. .44 vs .44 magnum)

Last edited: