petroleum jelly as grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubero

Newly Enlightened
Can i use petroleum jelly as grease substitute for o-rings? Anyone tried it?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
it depends on what the o-ring is made of. nitrile is petroleum safe. but latex/rubber will harden and become brittle if exposed to petroleum. most silicone is also incompatible with petroleum (and also incompatible with silicone lubes).

i think Maglite recommends using petro jelly for their o-rings but they're the only one's i've seen.

good lubes that work safe on anything, like Superlube, can be pretty cheap, so don't risk it. check the lube discussion thread, if you haven't yet, for more info.

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that "Manteca" by the 5lb. drum to be the most economical flashlight lube. It can be purchased from any Mexican-themed grocery store or Michoacana. Just be prepared to fight off the wild dogs and stray cats who will desperately try to claw through your clothing to get at your lights. Besides the occasional raccoon attack, I've been very satisfied with it's performance. Crisco works too and attracts less animals....

srfreddy

Enlightened
I've found that "Manteca" by the 5lb. drum to be the most economical flashlight lube. It can be purchased from any Mexican-themed grocery store or Michoacana. Just be prepared to fight off the wild dogs and stray cats who will desperately try to claw through your clothing to get at your lights. Besides the occasional raccoon attack, I've been very satisfied with it's performance. Crisco works too and attracts less animals....
:crackup::crackup::crackup:
Seriously though, I got some of the Eagletac "Lithium Complex" lube from lightjunction. Its small, but you really don't need that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.