Question regarding 300 lumen spotlight VS 300 Lumen Eagletac handheld.

wmflyfisher

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm on the search for a handheld spot light for use on my boat and found this rated at 300 lumens.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thor...tt=spotlight&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I carry an Eagletac T20C2 MKII for everyday use. The output on this light is 300 lumens as well.

My question is will the beams of these two lights be the same brightness?? Will the design of the lense on the spotlight make it brighter or what. Just don't want to order it if it looks like what my current Eagletac does. Any help would be great.

BVH

Flashaholic
While I don't own a boat, I can say that your question has been asked quite a few times and every thread I've seen, is centered around spot lights that produce in the neighborhood of 3000 Lumens, not 300. I don't know what your uses will be, but 300 Lumens on a boat at night would probably be ok for finding your way around the boat but would not be useful for looking for or lighting up things off the boat - surface of the water, the shoreline etc. Sorry I could not answer your specific question but it would be good me and others to get an idea of what your desired uses are for the light.

spc smith

Enlightened
im going to take a wild guess. how big is the spotlights reflector? if its slightly bigger and has a deeper reflector 300 lumens could change quit a bit of the light itself. Take for example: a maglite 3D LED of course, using the XPE led, at i think (correct me if im wrong) 140 lumens has a longer range of distance even at less lumens than the higher output 300 to 400 lumen lights and its because of the smooth deep reflector. so you might want to look at the design of the light in conjunction to the texture, depth and width of the reflector. so potentially even a 300 lumen spotlight could quite throw and have a bigger spill beam based off the engineering and design of the reflector it uses.

spc smith

Enlightened
not true. as i have seen store bought spotlights stating outputs of 240-350 lumens such as black&decker, makita, milwaukee, CAT, and various low level retail small portable lights at target, home depot and other general stores.
Sir i dont think hes talking about HIGH powered spotlights ie polarion, HID lights.

CKOD

Enlightened
The linked "spotlight" probably is on par with the eagle tac, maybe worse. Its 3 reflectors, and looking at the photo, the whole head is probably mag-lite sized. Making the reflectors the same size or smaller than the eagletac's so throw should be approximately the same at best, maybe worse.

On a boat where you need to reach out to see stuff, you'd be much better served by even a cheapie halogen plug in spotlight, or one with internal batteries and keep it plugged in to the boats power system when you arent using it.