2-C MAG MODS (Where Have I Been?)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've spent quite a bit of time over the last several days, reading up on some of the various modifications to the 2-C Mag-Lite. My love for the 2-C MAG has been growning ever since I've first held my Space-Needle II. It the best feeling form-factor I've ever held. It just feels so right and balanced in my hand and can be quickly used as a club, if and when the need ever arises.

In spending many hours reading the various posts so far, here's what I've done to put new-life into my 2-C MAGS.

-UCL lens.
-Radio Shack KPR112 bulb.
-3 123-cells.

These 3-changes alone have really made this MAG a kick-*** light. On top of that, you can't beat the price and I never need to be extremely concerned about losing the light, lending the light or breaking the light. Compare that to losing a SF M3 or something along those lines and we're talking some serious $$$.

What other combinations of bulb, batteries, reflector setups am I missing? I've read abou using a TigerLight lamp, however some special PR base socket part is needed. I've also read about a Carley lamp, however I'm unsure if that requires the base socket also or if it's plug-and-play.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nascar,

Yes, the Mag 2C does feel really good in the hand. I'm delighted to see your interest in this topic. There are two threads I can think of to help you. The oldest and longest is one started by Lemlux. It's
285 Lumen Mag 2C. If you haven't come across I already, you will enjoy seeing what's there. It contains the development of the idea to use Mag hosts to make much brightness. This is the first talk about Carley bulbs. Carley will pot these for you.

If you're interested in cutting to the chase, Ginseng's BadA$$ Maglite describes a light that really is sweet. Stictly speaking, it's not a 2C, but a 3C. I've made this one myself. The BadA$$ uses a WelchAllyn 01318 bulb which has been potted by Carley Lamp, and it needs an aluminum reflector obtainable from Carley or Otokayama. The Mag reflector would melt.

There have been a number of group buys, the last one involving the purchase of WA bulbs and sending them to Carley for potting, It's best to get the WA bulbs potted. (As I indicated in your WTB thread, bulb adaptors don't work too well.) Also included in the buy were Carley reflectors. There have also been threads about minor mods to the reflectors to get them to fit in Mags. (Search: Carley & reflector).

There are a lot of bulbs and reflectors floating around. You may have success at bidding for them in B/S/T.

Yes, these are cheaper than SureFires. When you start adding in the WA bulbs and the Carley reflectors to your Mag C mod, you add a little more cost – about $8 per bulb and $8 per reflector. The big cost is time. But these lights will outshine, and certainly out throw an M3 easily.

I'm glad to try answering any questions you may have as they arise.

Paul

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi PaulW,

I like many others love the size of the Mag 2C and got in on the group purchace of the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Otokoyama Perfect Mag Reflector. Now I'm just wondering what to do with mine (I's all mine the Precious) I can mod the tail cap and run 4x123 or stay with the 3x123 but I have been having problems with the Rat Shack KPR-112 and 3 SF 123's = very, very short bulb life. A friend on the forum was kind enough to send me pic's of the TL LA I just don't know which way to turn right now so many options.

The run times with this light will be short no more that 2 minuets or just looking around the yard for Monsters and things that go "BUMP IN THE NIGHT" but I need a dependable mod that will work when I need it to.....

Later,
Sway

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sway,

Glad you're having fun with this. That's what the superbrights are all about, IMO.

I think you'll find the run times a bit longer than 2 minutes, based on battery life. The KPR-112, drawing 0.8 amps, lasts about 80 or 90 minutes. Even the TL LA with its 2 amp draw will get about 35 minutes. If your concern is the mag plastic reflector, that will support a 10 or 12 watt bulb for 10 minutes, maybe more, with no melting or bubbling.

Yes, there are a lot of options. That's half the fun. Good luck.

Paul

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm really liking the 2C+KPR112+UCL+3-123 combination. Talk about saber light-beam. I was just curious what other options were available. I did read those other threads a couple times. Sure is a bunch of information there.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
This_is_Nascar,

Isn't the KPR112 rated at 6 volts? What are the chances of it exploding?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's rated a 6-volts and severely overdriven in this configuration. I am mearly copying what others have done, with success. It really kicks-*** this way. I've been using it pretty steadily the last 2-nights without issues.

larryk

Enlightened
Nascar, get a hold of a Carley 717 bulb and run 4 123,s. 4 123,s will fit if you remove the spring a scuff up the anodizing in the tail cap. I then used a small amount of fine steel wool to make up where the spring was. It is the whitest incandescent I own, and has a laser beam also.
Larry.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
This_is_Nascar,

Isn't the KPR112 rated at 6 volts? What are the chances of it exploding?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's rated a 6-volts and severely overdriven in this configuration. I am mearly copying what others have done, with success. It really kicks-*** this way. I've been using it pretty steadily the last 2-nights without issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the KPR-112 is driven by three fresh 123s, the voltage across the bulb rises to 8.3 volts and the current is 790 MA, for a power of 6.6 watts. What makes it so bright is the high color temperature it achieves at that current.

You might be interested to know that a Carley 612 bulb in that 3x123 will run at 7.5 volts, 1.88 Amps, 14 watts -- about twice as bright (but 1/3 the battery run time). It's good for ten minutes before you have to worry about the Mag reflector starting to bubble.

Paul

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the KPR118 compare to the KPR112 in a 3x123 config? Brightness, runtime, bulb life? At these prices, I guess bulb life isn't really that important, I can just keep ten of them in a film canister or something.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tyler,

My handy dandy chart of rated values shows:

KPR-112 . . . 6.0v . . . 0.75A
KPR-118 . . . 7.2v . . . 0.55A

That would mean that the KPR-118 would be significantly dimmer and more yellow. It would have a marginally longer run time and greatly increased bulb life.

From my chart (which is not complete) of KPR bulbs, the KPR-112 looks to be the best selection for 3x123.

Paul

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'll say it again..... the KPR-112 with the 3 x 123 cells is really performing nicely. I can't believe the throw of this thing. I've been playing with mine for the last 3 nights now and I'm still on the same set of cells.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I was toying with my 3x123 and 5 cell Whitestar last night. I checked unloaded voltage at 9.20. I switched from a Writerighted lense to an Acrylite lense. Yippee!

If I don't have anything else handy, this 2C is bright enough by far! And what a SWEET form factor!!! OH, and it KILLS my SL StingerHP!