• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Volcan output with non-LiIon batteries

Bronco

Enlightened
I've been trying out my new single AA Volcan with a variety of different battery chemistries. Thus far I've run it on alkalines, lithium primaries and Eneloops. The max output with these 1.2 - 1.5 volt options has been less than impressive. To put it in perspective, the Volcan's output on high is noticeably less bright than my 2004 or 2005 vintage Amilite Neo. I forget the exact emitter in the Neo, but I expect it's putting out between 40 and 70 emitter lumens.

Is this a normal level of performance for the Volcan? I realize it's optimized for performance with LiIon rechargeables, but I was expecting a little more with primaries.

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
You could use 14505 lithium primaries. They are 3 volt batteries from Battery Junction. I use them in my El Caps and work great.

Bronco

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip, jssp. I'll keep those in mind. :)

My fondness for Eneloops, though, still leaves me wondering what other Volcan owners are experiencing in terms of max brightness using the 1.2 to 1.5 volt battery options.

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
Mine u would say is putting out about 80-100 OTF lumens. It si brighter than my Malkoff M61 LL.