Human Tests On Tactical Use Of Strobes - "Combat Simulation" Report

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, here it is: I purchased some nerf guns recently (I also made some modifications to those, Thanks to Andystone316 for his post on the marketplace, but that's a different story). I'm not an actual kid, just a fully grown-up flashaholic kid. The reason I got those was because I am fortunate enough to have a cousin who's as flashaholic as I am and we like to go test our flashlights out in a park a few times during the summer. (More details on this in this thread: Ultimate Flashaholic Camping.) I just thought that it might be fun to add some weaponry to our night outings to get some actual tactical use out of our flashlights. Turns out it was a great idea. A few weekends ago, I went to see my cousin and, of course, brought the nerf guns along with some of my most powerful flashlights, knowing we'll be doing some serious testing.

The Setup:

We did the testing in my cousin's carpeted basement, in which there are a lot of old chairs and various objects, giving us extra obstacles. We took out the old foam chairs - the very same ones we played with 30 years ago! – and each built a small fortress. We were separated by about 10-12 feet and also had some extra obstacles behind us. Not having any rail mount or remote switch for our lights, we left them on top of our fort walls, aimed to blind the enemy with the strobes.

The Situation:

With lights dimmed, and soon enough completely out, we lied behind our fortresses and started shooting at each other. Obviously, we quickly realized that the strobe should be our best ally in this situation. Since I bought excessive amounts of ammunition and clips, we were in for a realistic siege.

The Equipment:

Guns: One semi- auto and 2 manual guns each
Clips: one 35 rounds and 2 X 7 rounds clips each

Lights:
My Cousin: Fenix TA21, TK15 and TK30 (it's all he had in the basement with him, but next time I better bring my whole collection)
Me: Fenix TK15, TK40, TK45, ArmyTek Predator, Led Lenser M7R (yea, yea, I feel like I should dodge some more bullets right now)
Reminder: those lights where laid in strategic places, purposefully aimed at the corresponding opening and on strobe all the time.

The Fight:

We fought for a total of almost 1H30, with the strobes being on full-time for a little less than one hour. We had to crawl back every now and then to gather some ammo and found some ways to move our main cover a little, ending at less than five feet from each other. We did take one major break to gather all the spent ammo and refill our clips. It was very hard to see each other and aim and we had to find ways to hide the enemy's strobe with our hands, weapons or through uncovered openings. Lots of fun, let me tell you.

And now for my catchphrase:

If someone had told me 20 years ago that I would one day play with 130$ worth of nerf guns and ammo, the same old foam chairs and about 500$ worth of flashlights in my cousin's basement, and still as much fun as when I was 5, I probably would have called him a bunch of indecent names, kicked him in the crotch and spit on him. Good thing no one ever told me this, cause I would have been the fool...

Combat Related Conclusions:

-We are definitely out of shape

-We are no professionals, but we concluded that a fight might start with a lot of fire exchange, but will quickly slow down to more calculated shots as ammo is being spent (unless you're already a professional of course). In the end, the hand weapon, if not hand to hand combat, seems to win the fight. I also base this last statement on lessons learned from taking medieval sword fighting courses for over two years, where the saying "it always ends with wrestling" was the main conclusion and too often proved by myself and many others.

-Automatic weapons are only superior in short calculated bursts, especially on open terrain. (this is open to debate, of course)

Flashlight Related Conclusions:

-Our eyes hurt for 2 days (don't hold up, we're laughing too!)

-I don't see any type of damage resulting from this and we were at VERY close range!

-Strobe is not such a nuisance that you cannot fight back or get sick... unless you ARE epileptic.
-Strobes are much more annoying than a constant light.

-You can get used to having a constant strobe aimed at you rather quickly (a few minutes). You will not see better after getting used to it, but it will not deter an attacker who has his mind set on his goal.

-Our brains and eyesight can also adjust to switching from having a constant strobe or powerful in the face to lying back in the dark and still see enough in a few minutes. I need to mention that what I call "dark" here has a limited meaning, since there was a lot of light bouncing back from the walls, but it seemed dark enough at first that I needed a few seconds to re-adjust when reloading my magazines.

-Turning a constant bright light on in front of the strobes helped me a lot while trying to spot the enemy, but seemed to be much less distracting for the enemy.

Lessons learned:

-Nerf guns are fun for any age (for close range combat, of course... I still got some airsoft guns for the long range shots when we go outside)

-We found out the hard way why military training is so intensive.

-I now remember what is called "rug burns"

-Fighting hard makes you hungry enough to order a large pizza at 1 a.m. even after overeating the whole day and not drinking a single beer.

OK, Now the answers to the obvious questions:

Which one was the most annoying?
The TK45 seems to have been the big winner. This conclusion is based on short-range combat, but I'll definitely give it a try on longer ranges this summer.

The TA21, TK30 and TK40 seemed to be equally annoying at close range.

The Predator was probably the second most annoying one, but having it on constantly means that the overheat protection came in rather soon, so I just turned it off and reserved it for short bursts – which I tried only a few times due to the fact that it wasn't attached to any of my weapons. The constant momentary on did seem to hide my head very well, while giving me a chance to see my cousin's face real nicely, though.

The concentrated beam of the M7R meant that it had to be aimed carefully and was not very useful. The flood setting on it didn't seem to do much in keeping my cousin from seeing me or in helping me seeing better. It is a very nice flashlight for other applications, though (dodging incoming) and does deserve much more attention. More to come in a separate thread when I have a chance.

Did any of your lights heat up?
Apart from the Predator, no. All the other lights kept working for at the very least 45 minutes in a row and did not feel more than just warm when we picked them up. Obviously, I had a battery charging day right after that.

All In All

Our current research is limited in a few ways:
- We had more than one strobing light on at all times. This means that the strobing effect is somewhat diminished, as lights are not in sync.
- The strobes where constantly on: Our vision was not fully in "night mode" at any time.
- Our strobing lights where in fixed and in known positions. This gave us a chance not to look directly into them every time. It also gave a chance to our eyes and brains to adapt to a point where we could see our surroundings almost normally (the fact that we had multiple unsynchronized strobes helped.)

While a strobe does nothing to completely stop an aggressor, it certainly gives you the advantage of hiding whichever part of you that is close to the business end (and can hide any weapon you're holding). It will not keep someone from seeing you if they have a bright light of their own or if there is sufficient ambient light.

Personal and final conclusion:

A strobe in the face is annoying a hell and certainly counts as a serious advantage, but is definitely not the be-all end-all of tactical advantages.

I used to have the mind-set that aggressive animals might stop in their tracks because they can't see you anymore, but now realize that this does nothing to stop other senses from working properly, especially peripheral vision. A strong light or strobe is extremely annoying, but it only does little to deter and attacker. While I might think twice about how I would approach a real-life situation when having my face blinded by strong lights and strobes, it doesn't mean that I would stop right there – and I'm definitely not an aggressor type of person.

Some animals still could stop in their tracks when some 600 lumens+ strobe is aimed at them, just because they don't have a clue about what's going on, but in dire moments (like being real hungry) they might not give a crap so you should have some other surprise at hand, just in case. I realize that I am carrying human reaction to animal reaction, but I also understand that most animals see much better in the dark than we do and those lions on the Discovery channel don't seem to care at all about the 100 million candle power aimed at their faces, even at less than 20 feet.

If I was looking for a gun-mounted light for use in the military or swat, I would most definitely choose something with momentary strobe activation for tactical reasons. But, if I needed a good law-enforcement light for normal police or security guard duties, the strobe would definitely become no more than a good but secondary option. Yes, it hurts the eyes and it is extremely annoying to have strong strobes pointed at you, but we are still very adaptive beings that can cope with a variety of situations and I wouldn't count on a strobe as being a total security shield. Besides, if you don't train to shoot at someone who's moving in square steps like you're on acid, it might not help you at all.

This test is not over and will continue on my summer trip to the "two towers". Stay tuned for the "Ultimate Flashaholic Camping Trip: Year 3" thread or some separate thread that will be mentioned in there for sure.

P.S.: anylau recently reported stopping two dogs from attacking him and his sister after finding out that a strong light didn't do anything (Thread here). I then conclude that the surprise effect of the strobe certainly is much more of an advantage than the constant use of it. I'll find out more on my next camping trip.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, I can't believe you guys subjected yourselves to all that light at close range! Thanks for the informative post! It's very interesting, and it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Xacto

Enlightened
How I envy you to have so much fun with a gun(s). I have to wait at least 4-5 more years till my son can be "trained" to be a sparing partner. It would have been interesting how it would have been if you had used only one light at a time and only momentarily with short light/strobe bursts.

Cheers
Thorsten

beerwax

Enlightened
some kids have all the fun.

what to call this new sport. nerf nerd shootout ? nah i got nothing. strobe shooting ? nah.

i find the faster the strobe the less effect it has on me. most of mine are quite fast.

is the video on youtube ? cheers

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes, it was really fun and I'm really looking forward to try this outdoors at night. One of us will have to invade a tower while the other is defending it!!!
This time we will definitely use momentary strobes and different strobe speeds (thanks to our Predators).

As for the film, well, we'll keep practicing until we at least look we had a little tactical training so we don't just look like grown kids with receding hairlines...

russthetoolman

Enlightened
"As for the film, well, we'll keep practicing until we at least look we had a little tactical training so we don't just look like grown kids with receding hairlines"

Nah, don't judge yourself, just do it and have fun!!!!!
We stood in front of a tank light, for a photo, at our get together last weekend, talk about feeling silly :)
I was thinking, "and they shoot a projectile, isn't that overkill?" Dang, that is the definition of BRIGHT!!!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a cool way to test your lights.
A friend and i went 1 on 1 in the dark with light equipped nerf guns one night.
its amazing what you can do with gaffa tape (and how surprised people look when they didnt realise you taped a 1000 lumen light to your nerf gun, and are instantly spotted in their diffcult to leave hideyhole)

Im interested in which Nerf Guns you were using though, i am getting quite a collection, my favorite at the moment being the CS35 Raider

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I agree whole heartedly with your findings. I have had a lot of strobe use with airsoft. However I used a Blackhawk gladius. While BH claims that their strobe frequency causes more disruptions than other strobe requencies, I can only attest so my first hand experience.

I only used strobe sparingly. I try to stay hidden and only blast the strobe into people's eyes. It is annoying as a recipient. I found that a short burst of strobe can be useful and create just a moment that I could use to my advantage. Since airsoft games are one hit kill type games (unless otherwise specified with more complex rules) I only need that small moments pause to shoot the person and take him out of the game.

My strobe and light experiences are a little askew because I was the only person with high end lights. No one thought lights were necessary until I came along. Of course people would tape a mini mag to their gun when I forced everyone to go lights out. But they dont use the lights tactically. They only use the lights to get around, and not as a force multiplier.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a cool way to test your lights.
A friend and i went 1 on 1 in the dark with light equipped nerf guns one night.
its amazing what you can do with gaffa tape (and how surprised people look when they didnt realise you taped a 1000 lumen light to your nerf gun, and are instantly spotted in their diffcult to leave hideyhole)

Im interested in which Nerf Guns you were using though, i am getting quite a collection, my favorite at the moment being the CS35 Raider

LOL, 1000 lumens against unenlightened is sure to open their eyes up.. or weld them shut!

We used CS35 raiders as well. Doesn't throw far, but excellent for close encounters. WE also had a pair of Night Finders as well.

I now got 2 Mega-missiles that are absolutely awesome to mod. You don't have to remove a single screw: just drill the AR, insert a brass pipe and glue or tape it in place. Then cut the missile shaft so the pipe makes it through and you can fire both the missile and regular darts (don't install the missile shaft before this or might not be able to get it off!). Even though the pipe is bigger than my darts, one of them made a clear round hole in the mosquito net over 30 feet away (metal-mesh net :eek:!!) I'll sure impose a rule of no more than 4-6 pumps with darts for close range combat with those.

I didn't tell my cousin about the mega-missiles. I'll get him to defend the tower first and then I'll surprise attack from behind (provided my compas skills get me there) with both mega missiles and 2 howlers (and 3X 250 lumens on my head plus a big HID on the ground). He won't know what hit him!

... BH claims that their strobe frequency causes more disruptions than other strobe requencies, I can only attest so my first hand experience.

Do you know what frequency is their strobe?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know what frequency is their strobe?

You have entered into a gateway drug that is modifying nerf guns. Good luck with that haha.

I dont know the frequency but here are more testaments to the strobes effectiveness.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...the-most-nauseating-strobe-ona-LED-flashlight

Here is a video i shot a while back using the gladius in airsoft. the frequency has been very effective. After talking to victims of the strobe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaT4IbPE6go

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately, I don't have anyone else than my cousin to play with, so my Nerf modding carreer is pretty much over already.

Pretty convincing video BTW. Can't wait to try it out myself...

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha. I have to resist doing this. I allready catch enough crap for all the flashlights. Definitely an awesome, funny OP (we are definitely out of shape).

Darvis

Enlightened
Lord, why did I read this? Now I've got to sneak the damn Nerf gun past my wife and figure out how to mod it while she's out running errands.

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
This was an awesome read. I had a buddy of mine shine my Turbo AA^2 into my eyes from about 10 yards away, just to see what you were talking about. I put my hands up in front of my and couldn't even see them!

Thanks for this.