RMSK, Inc.        
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: PWM - What is it, How does it work and how to detect it.

Unenlightened

Default Re: PWM - What is it, How does it work and how to detect it.

Ok, so I read the original post and skipped straight here. Hopefully the misunderstanding has been addressed but in case not...

PWM control does not require that your eyeball or brain be the filter. You can filter the PWM'ed voltage with electronics and have a fairly steady current. This still offers efficiency improvements over analog control circuits and is a much simpler circuit once you have a microcontroller involved. So, PWM in the right circuit is actually a current control mechanism.

Now to guessing. I would expect that even good 'non-PWM' flashlights are still PWM controlled, just using electronics as a filter rather than your eyeballs.

Unenlightened

The question is: Where do you put the limit oj what you call PWM free? The more sophisticated your hardware becomes the more lights will "flicker".
    Use a clear LED (got mine out of an broken TV remote) hook it up to your scope of liking (software scope works fine as well)
    Very basic scope will do:

The low ripple one can see is due to the scope itself. Some lights do really have nasty strobing when pretending to be in low mode ;-)

Regards Peer
    P.S.: Is one of the mods so kind to fix the picture link of my other post, not shure why the pic does not show up any more, the share is valid? Due to my newbe state you will touch this post anyway - so please fix the other one. Thanks in advance.
    For your convinience: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5198473

*Flashaholic*

Interesting pics.

I've had 2 Malkoff M361s and didn't know they had PWM until I was told. It's impossible to see in daily usage due to the high enough frequency that's above human's perceptibility. I forget what the Hz is but it's high. I tried the shower trick to no avail.

I could only see the PWM in M361 when pointing it at at engine fan inside the engine bay. Actually that was very cool. I have no experience with cheaper lights. I heard Fenix had some in the cheaper models and a lower frequency at that.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Ahh, the dreaded 100 Hz L0D! See my post #115 for that one in action. The only lights I have ever had that were that bad are the Photon Freedom, which is so cool otherwise, it gets a pass, and my Firefly III. That used the Flupic driver - I should someday try replacing that, and put in a 219 to replace the Lux III LED. But in its day, that thing was amazing, and I never even noticed the PWM. Just thought it was incredible to be able to program the levels I wanted.

Do maglites and malkoffs have pwm on lower settings?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011