Wiring Diagrams For LED's

DEthanB

Newly Enlightened
Wiring Diagrams For LED\'s

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gifHello All,

Nice to still be here. I mentioned in another Thread (Brightest and Best LED Flashlight) that I was going to tear apart a couple of flashlights to combine them into one.

Once I pulled one of them apart, I found that under the reflector there was a circuit board with a couple of resistors, capacitors, and transistors. I'm sure this is to store the energy in the Caps, and fire off to the LED at a very fast rate (faster than our eyes recognize) thereby using all of the energy from the batteries at full luminence instead of slowly dimming.

I was wondering if anyone had some good wiring diagrams out there for putting together ones own flashlights using 10,000 - 15,000 mcd White, Orange, or Green LED's? I'm a beginner so be kind to me.

D. Ethan B. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened
Re: Wiring Diagrams For LED\'s

Possibly better aking in the Electronics or Homemade and modified forums, its confusing at times picking the right category....

The electronics you mention are typically used to boost the voltage from a single battery to power blue, white and true green LEDs that require a forward voltage higher than a single battery can provide.

You`ll find a lot of circuits in thew archives and a lot of help here :)

Typically for Orange, Yellow and Red LEDs you don`t need the more sophisticated electronics as they will run on a single cell.

HTH
Adam

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Wiring Diagrams For LED\'s

[ QUOTE ]
DEthanB said:

Once I pulled one of them apart, I found that under the reflector there was a circuit board with a couple of resistors, capacitors, and transistors. I'm sure this is to store the energy in the Caps, and fire off to the LED at a very fast rate (faster than our eyes recognize) thereby using all of the energy from the batteries at full luminence instead of slowly dimming.

I was wondering if anyone had some good wiring diagrams out there for putting together ones own flashlights using 10,000 - 15,000 mcd White, Orange, or Green LED's? I'm a beginner so be kind to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you found is indeed an up converter (to raise the voltage up enough for the 3.6 or so needed for some LEDs), I seriously doubt that practical size capacitors are up to the task current wise. I bet one of those 'resistors' is an inductor? As I recall the first version of the CMG Infinity used just such a circuit. The part in the collector attached to the LED is an inductor, however.

And I too think you'll get more 'action' over on the Electronics Forum......

Doug Owen