Specs for charging AW cells

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
I just got my hobby charger in and I'm looking for the specs for charging Protected AW cells. Specifically, I need to know what the max recommended spec is for a 14500 and a 17670. While I'm at it, I'd like to make a cheat sheet that hast the info for the R123, 14670, 17500, 18500, and the 18650 (2200mah). I'm not planing on chargeing at or above the max spec. I'm just starting my notes off with the correct documentation so that I can find it easily when I need it.

Thanks,
Mark

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mark. The general rule for the maximum charging rate of LiCo (ICR, or lithium cobalt) Li-Ion cells smaller than 18650 size, is 1C. "C" is the equivalent of the capacity of the cell in mAh, but is of course translated into mA, as a charge rate. For most cells of 18650 size, 0.7 C is the recommended maximum rate. For cells larger than 18650 size, it's a good idea to check the manufacturer's spec sheet.

It is of interest to note that higher charge rates aren't really as much faster as you might think, and lower charge rates are kinder to your cells.

From Battery University

Increasing the charge current does not hasten the full-charge state by much. Although the battery reaches the voltage peak quicker with a fast charge, the saturation charge will take longer accordingly.
The page I linked to offers some interesting information regarding charging Li-Ion cells. Battery University overall, is a good source for information regarding the care and maintenance of most common rechargeable batteries and cells.

Dave

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
So, for all the cells that I listed, 1C should be my max charge rate? I remember seeing some information that mentioned 1C and other information that mentioned 1/2C but I couldn't remember the size of the cells, or if it was pertaining to the output or the chargeing specs.

Just to clarify, with the 14500 (750 mah) for example, I should be able to recharge it with a maximum of 0.75 amps correct? On the same note, if I charge it with 0.5 ams or less, it should still do just fine but take a little longer. Is that correct? And hopefully last but not least, is there a minimum current that I should use when recharging in order to avoid possible problems?

Thanks,
Mark

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, I charge all of my LiCo and LiFe Li-Ion cells at 0.5C (and my NiCd and NiMh's too :)). It's easy to remember, and yes, figuring out the charge rate is as simple as dividing the mAh rating of the cell by 2 (for 0.5C). For a 750mAh rated cell, you can go either 300mA, or 400mA, there's not that much difference. If charging the same cell at 1C, go no higher than 700mA. I say this, as most hobby charger's (but not all) charge rates are in increments of 100mA.

As I said before any LiCo cell in a size smaller than an 18650 can be charged at 1C. When you charge cells at 0.5C though, it really doesn't take twice as long, as you might think. I've never actually timed the difference, but would guess that it takes only about 20-25% longer to charge at 0.5C vs. 1C and as I said, it's easier on your cells, they will last longer.

Another advantage to charging at some rate less than maximum, is that it allows a safety margin, allowing for cells whose capacity is highly overrated. This isn't such a problem with AW, Samsung, Panasonic, or other name brand cells, but applies to most others.

As far as a minimum charge rate for Li-Ion cells, I don't think it's good to charge them at too slow a rate, as with older well used cells, you may run into problems with the charge rate approaching the self discharge rate of the cell. My personal preference is to charge cells at a minimum of 0.1C. You could probably go lower, but there really wouldn't be any advantage to it.

If you want to charge up cells in a hurry, the best method is to use the "Fast charge" feature of a hobby charger. This actually charges just the same as a regular charge, but stops the charge sooner at 0.2C of the original charge rate, instead of 0.1C, thus shaving off some time. The only drawback, is your cells will only be ~85% charged.

Dave

Last edited:

fields_mj

Newly Enlightened
Mark, I charge all of my LiCo and LiFe Li-Ion cells at 0.5C (and my NiCd and NiMh's too :)). It's easy to remember, and yes, figuring out the charge rate is as simple as dividing the mAh rating of the cell by 2 (for 0.5C). For a 750mAh rated cell, you can go either 300mA, or 400mA, there's not that much difference. If charging the same cell at 1C, go no higher than 700mA. I say this, as most hobby charger's (but not all) charge rates are in increments of 100mA.

As I said before any LiCo cell in a size smaller than an 18650 can be charged at 1C. When you charge cells at 0.5C though, it really doesn't take twice as long, as you might think. I've never actually timed the difference, but would guess that it takes only about 20-25% longer to charge at 0.5C vs. 1C and as I said, it's easier on your cells, they will last longer.

Another advantage to charging at some rate less than maximum, is that it allows a safety margin, allowing for cells whose capacity is highly overrated. This isn't such a problem with AW, Samsung, Panasonic, or other name brand cells, but applies to most others.

As far as a minimum charge rate for Li-Ion cells, I don't think it's good to charge them at too slow a rate, as with older well used cells, you may run into problems with the charge rate approaching the self discharge rate of the cell. My personal preference is to charge cells at a minimum of 0.1C. You could probably go lower, but there really wouldn't be any advantage to it.

If you want to charge up cells in a hurry, the best method is to use the "Fast charge" feature of a hobby charger. This actually charges just the same as a regular charge, but stops the charge sooner at 0.2C of the original charge rate, instead of 0.1C, thus shaving off some time. The only drawback, is your cells will only be ~85% charged.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.