*1-K hr Update* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
*1894 hr Update* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

*1894 Hour(78 Days) Update...see last post*

Alright...finished my L1-Rd runtime test, and after some forethought, decided to pit all 3 of these light together. All 3 were given fresh (3.25 volt) Surefire CR123's.

The L1-Rd will be ran on low, and the 24/7 will only be used on the red setting.

After power up, the X5 was the brightest of the 3, and the 24/7 the lowest. the most USEFUL of the 3 was the 24/7, providing the most flood.

So...which will win out? Not the longest running, per-se, but the one that will run the longest with useful runtime. Let's here your hypothesis. Who will win? Let's get your bets!

1) 5th Gen L1-RD

The Runtime on the 5th Gen L1-Rd went like this (No science, just real world use)

Runtime Cut-off: 114 hours (it was putting out useless levels light and wasn't making any considerable drop's in out-put)

*This is the 2nd runtime test for the L1, and I have left it on well past the 114 hour mark. I can still use the L1 for reading a map, and minor navigation (I can still use it for going #1 in the middle of the night, and I'll leave it at that)

Max Out put (Max light out-put): 0-12 hours
Prime out-put (Easily Navigate a pitch black room): 13-75 hours
Minimal Out (Can easily read a map/navigation doable, but not recommended): 75-94 hours
Negligible Out-out (Can read a map, but not comfortable): 94-100
Unusable Out-Put: 100-??? (I cut it off at 114)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*168hr (1 week)*

167 hours...X5 is uselss except for very upclose reading...can't see anything further thna 3-4". The L1 can still be easily used for map reading and some navigation in a pitch black environment. The two have been running for a week straight, and it looks like the L1 has won this run off. I'll leave them both running for the sake of it, but am done reporting on the X5 (although I will post a time when it shut's off...as long as it's not for another week). Same with the L1, although I'll probably shut that off when I can no longer read a map with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*250 hour update*

X5: 1.88 volts: Still just a glow, can't see anything past 1-2". (Note, the X5 was inadvertently shut-off for about 16 hours, so it's actually at the 230'ish mark, and the voltage would be lower)

L1: can still be used comfortably as a reading light in dark environments (Maps/Books/Circuit Breaker, etc.)

The L1 is taking this one by storm, and still puts out 3-4 times the light of the X5 at the same voltage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*365 hour update (15 Days)*

The X5 is still glowing, but is useless. The L1 took another dip in out-put, and is only good for up close reading, but is still just a hair brighter than the X5. Will have voltage readings shortly.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
24 hr UPDATE: L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

***RESERVED***

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Out-Put will described as such:

Runtime Cut-off: How long I felt like leaving the light on (See last)
Max Output: Max light out-put
Prime Output: Easily Navigate a pitch black room
Minimal Output: Can easily read a map/navigation doable, but not recommended
Negligible Output: Can read a map, but not comfortable
Unusable Output: Runtime until cut-off; Light is still "Glowing" but is essentially useless (can't even see in a pack, etc.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

***5th Gen Surefire L1-RD***

Runtime Cut-off: 1900 hours (it was putting out useless levels light and wasn't making any considerable drop's in out-put)

Max Output: 0-12 hours

Prime Output: 13-75 hours

Minimal Output: 75-94 hours

Negligible Output: 94-1700 hours

Unusable Out-Put: 1700 hours - ??? (I'm guessing it would go approximately 3 months)

***Inova X5 Red****

Runtime Cut-off:

Max Output: 0-4 hours

Prime Output: 4 to ~14 hours

Minimal Output: 14 to 36

Negligible Output: 36-49

Unusable Out-Put: 49-???

***Inova 24/7 (Red LED's ONLY)***

Runtime Cut-off:

Max Output:

Prime Output:

Minimal Output:

Negligible Output:

Unusable Output:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

***Beam Shots****

Start:

L1 (Top Right) X5 (Bottom Left)

HPIM1883.jpg

6 Hour:

L1 (Left) X5 (Right)

HPIM1892.jpg

12 Hour:

L1 (Left) X5 (Right)

HPIM1893.jpg

X5 (Bottom Left) 24/7 (Top Right)

HPIM1894.jpg

48 Hour:

From ~ 6"; X-5 (Right) L1 (Left)

HPIM1900.jpg

From ~ 2"

HPIM1898.jpg

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

Yes, the 90 hour 5th Gen L1-RD; 2nd Post updated with how meaurements will be taken.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it here for posterity:

"I'm guessing both of them will last ridiculously long regardless of which one 'wins'... though I'll throw in a vote for the X5 to beat the L1 by half a day to a full day.

When I had a red X5, I was never able to complete an acutal runtime test since I liked using the light so much.

I did recently put in a XRE R2 into an old Nuwai Q3. Converted it to direct drive and use a nickle has a heatsink. Run direct drive off a CR123, it ran from Tuesday @ 4:30pm through the next Tuesday @ 11am when it seemed to completely shut off. If I leave it turned off for a half hour, it will light back up with enough light to read by. I checked the pull at the tailcap every evening. Overall, it slowly dropped over the first three days, then provided maybe 6 or 8 lumens for the next three days then trickled off to the 1 lumen range for the last day. I'm guessing the red X5 will act the same, but won't last quite as long as I'd suspect the five 5mm LEDs will pull more than the single XRE."

No idea on the 24/7.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks cratz! Yeah, after starting the other two, I was like 'Why not do the 24/7?"...so, I added that into the mix. I think the L1 may win this one though, due to the X5 being brighter right off the bat, it may be pulling more juice, and have a sharper drop than the L1? But, that's why I'm doing this. This is one of the most requested runtimes on CPF, and no-one has ever had the patience. I will admit, I miss being able to properly "use" my L1 (or my X5)...sigh...It'll get interesting after the initial drop starts.

Darvis

Enlightened

This is great!! Are not multiple LEDs more efficient, though? The X5 may edge out based on this. Either way AOW, I just picked up the sister X5 to yours, so this is a timely test for sure!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm coming from... If it were a 'to 50% brightness' runtime test, I'd probably lean towards the L1 over the X5, but I'm guessing that the five 5mm LEDs will be able to churn out more 'barely enough light to navigate in a cave' amount of light longer than will the L1.

Either way, they are both winners before the test even starts!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, when are you going to consider the light to be longer usable? When each of them reads 100 or 114?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure what you're asking the cratz??? Lumen out-put is not being measured during this, just runtime. How "useful" it is is just me comparing them to each other at any given runtime (i.e. a side by side comparison of the three at the same run time with the same fresh cells), giving the community an idea of the best "Red Battery Vampire", or help them pick which best would suit their needs.

That said, here's what I'm seeing at the 10 hour mark:

*L1-Red: No real change from initial output; Now the L1 is brighter than the X5, showing how fast the "initial brightness" of the X5 runs down

*X5: Just a bit dimmer than the L1 now, but still very usable amounts of light; Brighter than the 24/7

*24/7: No real change in brightness.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...13 hours, and the X5 has dimmed even more...but, it may be able to hold on there once the L1 makes it's initial drop.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

24-Hour update (24hrs 23 mins)

Hmmm...not looking good for the X5. Here's current voltage readings on the cells:

L1: 2.72 (1ea. 3-Watt Cree driven at 1-Watt)
X5: 1.88 (5ea. 5mm)
24/7: 2.76 (2ea. 5mm)

Brightness (in order of Brightness):

1) L1
2) 24/7
3) X5

Looks like those 5mm's are wasting alot of energy...will get some beam shots up soon.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *24HR. UPDATE* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

BEAM SHOTS (Albeit rather crappy ones) Up in Post #2

@PSM, YEP!!! I was kinda up in the air that the X5 might beat the L1, but it's not looking to promising for the X5 right now...

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Voltage Update (36 Hours {2:03PM EST})

X5: 1.83 (Useless level of light for navigating)
24/7: 2.34 (Not much different than it was from start, still very navigable amounts of light being produced; Brighter than X5)
L1: 2.24 (Still putting out plenty of light, as seen from previous runtime test)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

48 Hour Update:

L1: 2.04; Now starting to dim; still plenty of light on low for easy navigation; will still go into high, but not nearly as bright
X5: 1.78; Still dimming, and a lot dimmer than the L1, but you can still navigate a little with it
24/7: 2.05; Light is dead; light shut off around 45 hour mark, but it died with providing plenty of navigable light. There was no "dimming" per-se, but rather it just shut-off. Came back on after a few seconds of rest and I'll leave it running and see when it shuts back off.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

About the 49-50 hour mark, the X5 took another big drop, and is no longer useable for navigation, and is barely usable as a reading light.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow... I definitely would have guessed MUCH longer than ~50 hours for the X5.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

167 hours...X5 is uselss except for very upclose reading...can't see anything further thna 3-4". The L1 can still be easily used for map reading and some navigation in a pitch black environment. The two have been running for a week straight, and it looks like the L1 has won this run off. I'll leave them both running for the sake of it, but am done reporting on the X5 (although I will post a time when it shut's off...as long as it's not for another week). Same with the L1, although I'll probably shut that off when I can no longer read a map with it.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Wow, very impressive for the L1!!! I was expecting it to be almost dead at 90 hours. Good work man, I appreciate your effort on this test. :)