Compact headlamp suggestions for the blind/visually impaired???

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
My wife works in blind rehab at the VA hospital. From time to time, she has clients who could benefit from a headlamp. Here are her requirements:

1) compact/lightweight: Anything is probably fine as long as it does not have a separate battery pack

2) Does not have to be the brightest, but 50 lumens or a bit more would be nice

3) Very easy to find/use controls as it may be used by someone who is visually impaired and may have limited use of their hands.

4) Preferrably AA powered, but would consider one of the better 3xAAA since most compact headlamps are not AA powered

5) Readily available, no specialty or obscure brands as it must be something that they can get from one of their government vendors.

I am going to send her in to work with my new Petzl Pixa 3 as it meets these requirements, but in case Petzl is not available for them to acquire, any and every potential suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I just bought a Mammut Lucido TXlite. It seems to fit the bill. One push button that is fairly large, 50 lumens of throw and flood. It's AAA powered though.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Princeton Tec Fuel might work. small simple headlamp. big simple switch. US made. don't know if this helps, but Princeton Tec is on the US government vendor directory.

the Fuel has had some durability issues, but Princeton Tec provides a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
Headlamp manufacturers and vendors should target the visually impaired specifically in their marketing strategies. This would be very profitable to all involved parties IMO.

Moderately visually impaired persons need at least 120 lumens IMO. (Severely visually impaired patients might even need a headlamp with a thousand lumens.)

NiMh batteries are the easiest available type of rechargeable batteries. A separate battery container has the advantage of much longer runtime, so would be preferable for some, especially with impaired hand mobility, frequent use, no dim settings, and high lumen output.

NiMh AAA-batteries offer little runtime for a 120 lumen headlamp. So NiMh AA batteries are preferably IMO, if the headlamp is used frequently. I prefer NiMh batteries with low self discharge.

One could also consider rechargeable headlamps, if changing batteries is hard, due to limitations in hand mobility.

Most headlamps can also be worn around the neck, if that would be preferred. Some headlamps (like Zebralight) are "angle lights", and can also be worn on one's breast.

Brands that sell headlamps are for example: Fenix, Zebralight, Olight, Armytek, Petzl, LedLenser and Silva.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl Tikkina is probably the most user friendly 2 mode headlamp I have seen and it is light weight for sure.

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
My wife works in blind rehab at the VA hospital. From time to time, she has clients who could benefit from a headlamp. Here are her requirements:

1) compact/lightweight: Anything is probably fine as long as it does not have a separate battery pack

2) Does not have to be the brightest, but 50 lumens or a bit more would be nice

3) Very easy to find/use controls as it may be used by someone who is visually impaired and may have limited use of their hands.

4) Preferrably AA powered, but would consider one of the better 3xAAA since most compact headlamps are not AA powered

5) Readily available, no specialty or obscure brands as it must be something that they can get from one of their government vendors.

I am going to send her in to work with my new Petzl Pixa 3 as it meets these requirements, but in case Petzl is not available for them to acquire, any and every potential suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, a lamp with adjustable focus, can be helpful for visual impairments. Those lamps have an adjustable beam width. So they have a wide beam for close distances, and a brighter narrow beam for further away, without draining the batteries too much.

There are hand-held flashlights with adjustable focus, and also several headlamps with that feature.

A risk of bright flashlights and headlamps, is that other people in traffic can be blinded, if these lamps are pointing too high. Headlamps may even be prohibited in traffic in some countries.